Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind - heard kaak things!  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
Re: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind - heard kaak things!
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2010, 06:59:33 pm »
Berm_rooster, You've got it spot on. I agree there is no right or wrong - just what work or don't work for you. I'll go and ride the two bikes... 

Sense at last . ;D :thumleft:

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2010, 09:41:17 pm »
BMW owners do not seem to like criticism, the joke is that I have actually said nothing original here, only repeated what other forum members have said!
Big Dom speculated that because HP2 riders dont clean air filters every day, engines packed up. Sit back, relax, take a deep breath and tell me how that is NOT a kak design? While you are at it, try and point out some bad points on a SE.
I only seem so anti-BMW because some of you are so blindly BMW loyal!
Strangely coincidental that in the car world BMW drivers stand accused of the same disease!
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Airborne

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 07:34:11 am »
   :kermit:  :happy1:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 09:58:39 am »
BMW owners do not seem to like criticism, the joke is that I have actually said nothing original here, only repeated what other forum members have said!
Big Dom speculated that because HP2 riders dont clean air filters every day, engines packed up. Sit back, relax, take a deep breath and tell me how that is NOT a kak design? While you are at it, try and point out some bad points on a SE.
I only seem so anti-BMW because some of you are so blindly BMW loyal!
Strangely coincidental that in the car world BMW drivers stand accused of the same disease!

Yes BMW owners are typically loyal to their marque but you will also notice on this forum (and others abroad) dedicated to this brand that they are quite happy to criticise vehemently where and when necesarry. They are also often prepared to admit to certain points/areas that could be improved upon (as I did) and if necessaary rectify them (as I and others have done). I have yet to meet a committed dirt/adventure rider on any make of bike who has not modded or accessorised his bike to his personal needs and use.

If you read my posts you will see that I do in fact point out a few areas of concern 9however tyresome) to me personally ("bad points" if you wish) regarding the SE - tubed tyres, chain drive, badly positioned airfilter. But that aside I also have the generosity of spirit (a common attribute amonst most WD's I have met but clearly not all) to not just enter some juvinile 'mines bigger than yours' brand bashing and have stated that both are great super enduros and both have their merits and de-merits. The final decision is subjective and rightfully lies with the individual owne.

You are right you have said nothing original here, ... and I guess may never.

I rest my case.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:36 pm »
I may be missing the point but in the MX racing scene we changed our air filter after every heat ( including the KTM's ). The risk of dirt getting through a dirty clogged air filter far out weighed the risk of "tampering with the air system". The design is not flawed if the filter gets dirty, your bikes performance is dierctly related to how quickly and how much air can get to the combustion chamber.

Bottom line depending on the conditions you ride in will dictate the maintennance required.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »
I may be missing the point but in the MX racing scene we changed our air filter after every heat ( including the KTM's ). The risk of dirt getting through a dirty clogged air filter far out weighed the risk of "tampering with the air system". The design is not flawed if the filter gets dirty, your bikes performance is dierctly related to how quickly and how much air can get to the combustion chamber.

Bottom line depending on the conditions you ride in will dictate the maintennance required.
Esp with the 800GS! :peepwall:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:25 pm »

Esp with the 800GS! :peepwall:

I will race you. Lets see who finnishes the air filter service fist. >:D

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 02:40:08 pm »
Your air cleaner only gets dirty when you ride at the back. Mine is always clean! :biggrin: :biggrin:

:peepwall:

I run a pre- cleaner and a BG filter on my SE, works like a charm, clean the pre clean 3 times before it is necessary to clean the main filter.
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »
Your air cleaner only gets dirty when you ride at the back. Mine is always clean! :biggrin: :biggrin:

:peepwall:

I run a pre- cleaner and a BG filter on my SE, works like a charm, clean the pre clean 3 times before it is necessary to clean the main filter.

Ya Ya typical KTM Rider. Always a point to prove. ;) :mwink: :ricky:

Offline Steady

• Pack Dog
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 03:26:21 pm »
TheHP2 airfilter is so easy to clean and keep clean, the location of the intake is not an issue.

Keep clean with a pre filter, no pic.
Grammar... The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:30 pm »
Betreffende jou oorspronklike vraag oor HP2's waarvan die enjins kak:

Al 3 daai bikes was op dieselfde trip van Jan du Toit deur Botswana en Namibie. Baie sand. En, sover ek weet, het al drie aftermarket filters opgehad.

Ek het ook 'n BMC op, maar maak hom baie goed skoon (veral nadat ek agtergekom het 'n sekere dealer het die eens gebother om dit skoon te maak tydens 'n diens nie). Dis regtig 'n vinnige job. Die langste is vir die gewaste filter om droog te word. Hou die ding skoon en goed geolie en sit nog spons oor die luginlaat voor as 'n prefilter. Ek het 'n snorkel op (gedoen deur Bavarian in Pta) en het oor die bokant sommer 'n stuk fleece materiaal oorgesit en met 'n cable tie vasgemaak as 'n prefilter.

My bike het al amper 42 000 km gedoen. Ek laat hom elke 10K diens en vervang elke 5K self die olie. My agterste diff seels is pas vervang (R2.5K), maar die feit dat dit 'n shaft het beteken jy spaar weer op kettings en sprockets.

Dan is daar die kwessie van die HP2 wat tubeless bande het. Om 'n tubeless puncture te fix is so maklik soos om koffie te maak.

Die 950SE het wel beter suspensie as die HP2.

Maar ek weet watter een oor 10 jaar 'n classic gaan wees en watter een net nog 'n gaar DS bike.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »
Excalibur, daar is jou statistieke , met bewyse, vir jou. As jul mooi navors, sal jul vind ek praat eintlik nooit kak nie.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Online Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »
I agree that on a GS you would need to do a daily check on the air cleaner in very sandy conditions.  But the SE's filter is a lot bigger and can accumulate a lot more dust, and will need less maintenance on a trip.  I have never had to replace or clean a 950 / 990 filter on a ride, but I have done some cleaning on the 1200 filter, and I replace it about twice between scheduled services on my 1200.  I think the air intake is in a bad place too on the GS, compared with the orange ones. 

Agree with Dom, these are realities that riders need to be aware of and manage them for best performance and reliability of the bike.

I do agree the air intake snorkel is badly placed on the GS's ...

Both agree BMW  require cleaning sometimes on a daily basis, it is kark design, to the extend Big Dom took it up with BMW.

Big Dom, the one item I would not like to disturb too often is the air filtration system, esp. on a offroad trip.

Sorry Dan I know we have bumped heads here before but once again you are talking KAAAAARK!

Why not clean the airfilter? It is common sense and really a five  minute pisseasy job to get out on a HP2, and if a servicable variety (recommended for such trips IMHO) probably another 5 to clean and maybe 10 to dry in the sun. A real no-brainer and I can assure you what will "disturb" you is when the machine cannot breath properly anymore because the filter is caked and you faark someting beeg up!

Absolutely...you need a clean airfilter for the bike to perform, ..fortunately running rich is not so bad as running lean, but it is still a crappy design, and a consideration when you buy a bike for gravel travel..
Cleaning an airfilter out in the boondocks also poses risk, it is not a clinical environment, and being less than ideal, exposes the operation to risk. A fairly common mistake is not seating the element properly.

A point...no mention has been made of BMW being shit...just the design, and that being by the BMW rider.

Big Dom, about talking kak, if you have to clean HP2 filter everyday in sandy/windy/dusty conditions, it explains perfectly why their engines would fuck out! It is called dust ingestion and it is FATAL !!
This is exactly what I mean when I say that KTM has the offroad pedigree, they know what works offroad.
Not even the GermanBMW engineer understood how important air filter placing on a offroad bike is!
Or why tappet covers do not work for crash bobbins.

Go stick your crash bobbins where they fit best - will help with the kakpraat!

What I said was that your assertion that it was a bad idea to "disturb the air filtration" too often was pure pollycock. I also said that there was an easy remedy for the intake placement (there is no problem with the placement of the actual filter - that is the KTM problem!) You can be sure that the KTM's on the PD get theirs cleaned daily ...and yes even BMW have some inherited "offroad pedigree" from the PD. Maybe you need an earwax or hearing aid? :biggrin:

Thread going south...subject should be debated maybe in "Bikes and Workshop"...or discussed, hopefully without a "..but once again you are talking KAAAAARK! "

Betreffende jou oorspronklike vraag oor HP2's waarvan die enjins kak:

Die antwoord...sonder ego, die feite.

My opinion, HP2 is a visually stunning sight, but try out the SE....it feels a lot smaller, almost nimble compared to the HP, what I would look for if I were more dirt orientated...
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Excalibur

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2010, 06:56:10 am »
2SD, jou simantiese geroggel oor die HP2 vs die SE impress my nog steeds fokkol nie. Ek bly by my punt, elke man koop wat hy like.

Lekker naweek vir jou ou grote. Gaan tos rond op n dating site of so iets.

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2010, 07:12:29 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer:  So n bek moet jam kry .  :thumleft:

Offline Brakenjan

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2010, 08:22:45 am »

Fokkit dis snaaks (en gepas)!!  :laughing4:  :imaposer:

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Race Dog
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2010, 08:48:29 am »
2SD, jou simantiese geroggel oor die HP2 vs die SE impress my nog steeds fokkol nie. Ek bly by my punt, elke man koop wat hy like.

:imaposer:  :laughing4:  :laughing4:  :laughing4:  :laughing4:  :laughing4:  :imaposer:  :thumleft:

Online Rooies

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2010, 08:58:53 am »
James, gaan ry nou altwee en laat ons weet wat JY dink!
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2010, 09:05:13 am »

You have made my day, week actually!  :laughing6:  :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob9: :booty:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:08:03 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:27 am »
James, gaan ry nou altwee en laat ons weet wat JY dink!

simantiese geroggel ...?

Thread now really going south...will hit CL soon, should I unsubscribe and take cover?

jamesred...even if you get past the "kark design"  :mwink: , will you want to hang out with these guys?
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids