Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind - heard kaak things!  (Read 4062 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind - heard kaak things!
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:41 am »
James, gaan ry nou altwee en laat ons weet wat JY dink!

simantiese geroggel ...?

Thread now really going south...will hit CL soon, should I unsubscribe and take cover?

jamesred...even if you get past the "kark design"  :mwink: , will you want to hang out with these guys?

Funny thing is two mates (Edgy and ThrottleJockey) I ride with had XT660's ... the one now has a SE, the one a F800GS  (the XT did not do it for them)and I switched to a HP2 from a ADV. When we ride we often find ourselves with half a dozen different bikes all enjoying the WD experience... as I have said it is different strokes for different folks.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 12:56:36 pm »

Funny thing is two mates (Edgy and ThrottleJockey) I ride with had XT660's ... the one now has a SE, the one a F800GS  (the XT did not do it for them)and I switched to a HP2 from a ADV. When we ride we often find ourselves with half a dozen different bikes all enjoying the WD experience... as I have said it is different strokes for different folks.

Absolutely, been on a couple of rides, with bikes across the spectrum, and all most enjoyable.

Also, the truth, most of the times, is the sum total of all aspects, this particular discussion a prime examble of that, and of miscommunication.

Nowhere did 2tdan say not to clean your airfilter when it is dirty, fiddeling with it trailside is risky (there is somewhere on the forum a thread of me running into this adverse risk) and design should strive to eliminate this..honest critisism.

However,  "Lekker naweek vir jou ou grote. Gaan tos rond op n dating site of so iets."  contributes nothing, and the resultant jeering (what point did the guy make apart from the fact that he, from the anonymity of his browser, can launch a personal attack ..worth the jeering?)

Sorry, it gets my goat.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2010, 01:05:42 pm »
There is nothing "risky" about cleaning an airfilter "trailside" on an HP2 - you do not need "fiddle" in a "clinical" environment and as I have stated it is pisseasy and no risk. Most times it would be done at the end of the day at camp and after a couple of days riding ... I did this just recently in Lesotho most efeectively.

Have you thought of a career in politics? An alliance with Julius and  Desperate Dan may just work!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:06:17 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Race Dog
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2010, 01:13:17 pm »
There is nothing "risky" about cleaning an airfilter "trailside" on an HP2 - you do not need "fiddle" in a "clinical" environment and as I have stated it is pisseasy and no risk. Most times it would be done at the end of the day...

Confirmed. It is 5 screws and two plastic clips. There is no danger of gunk falling down into the box, coz it sits on the side.

Can we not just drop it now? Poor James is probably too scared to buy any bike by now.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 01:19:28 pm »
There is nothing "risky" about cleaning an airfilter "trailside" on an HP2 - you do not need "fiddle" in a "clinical" environment and as I have stated it is pisseasy and no risk. Most times it would be done at the end of the day at camp and after a couple of days riding ... I did this just recently in Lesotho most efeectively.

Have you thought of a career in politics? An alliance with Julius and  Desperate Dan may just work!  ;)

Big Dom...have no issue with you, nor your opinion, which you at least you expressed.  Cleaning trailside, if you need to do it, you need to do it, and being aware and able to... :thumleft:

Julius maybe, 2TDan not (at least not till he stops calling my bike an ostrich  :D)

Offline Brakenjan

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2010, 02:03:00 pm »

However,  "Lekker naweek vir jou ou grote. Gaan tos rond op n dating site of so iets."  contributes nothing, and the resultant jeering (what point did the guy make apart from the fact that he, from the anonymity of his browser, can launch a personal attack ..worth the jeering?)

Sorry, it gets my goat.

Beserker, you are (and have for a long time been) a very valuable member of this forum (much more than I can ever dream to be). It is also clear that you are quick to jump to the rescue of 2SD (whom I assume is your friend seeing that you guys did Kaoko together) when he (again) comes in for some stick from other forum members. Now as you know (again better than me) 2SD is a sharp-witted guy who loves to sail close to the wind. Since day one many of his post has, by design, pissed me and many others off to no end. It is also clear that he is alive to the risque nature of his posts as he often qualifies them with something like "at the risk of upsetting the mods" or the like.

Do I want 2SD to leave the forum? Hell no, he brings colour to this soap opera! Do I enjoy it if other (respected) forum members like Big Dom and Excalibur give him a bit of a (called for?) tongue lashing? Hell yeah! And so does 2SD, he keeps coming back for more!!

I respectfully suggest that you enjoy the intellectual sparring between 2SD and those who he manages to upset so skilfully. When it gets to much for you, rather go ride the BRP instead knowing that your mate is having a ball.   :thumleft:

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »

Sorry, it gets my goat.

Beserker, you are (and have for a long time been) a very valuable member of this forum (much more than I can ever dream to be). It is also clear that you are quick to jump to the rescue of 2SD (whom I assume is your friend seeing that you guys did Kaoko together) when he (again) comes in for some stick from other forum members. Now as you know (again better than me) 2SD is a sharp-witted guy who loves to sail close to the wind. Since day one many of his post has, by design, pissed me and many others off to no end. It is also clear that he is alive to the risque nature of his posts as he often qualifies them with something like "at the risk of upsetting the mods" or the like.

Do I want 2SD to leave the forum? Hell no, he brings colour to this soap opera! Do I enjoy it if other (respected) forum members like Big Dom and Excalibur give him a bit of a (called for?) tongue lashing? Hell yeah! And so does 2SD, he keeps coming back for more!!

I respectfully suggest that you enjoy the intellectual sparring between 2SD and those who he manages to upset so skilfully. When it gets to much for you, rather go ride the BRP instead knowing that your mate is having a ball.   :thumleft:

Well put!  :thumleft:

I like both Excalibur (hy's die enigste pantseroffisier wat ek sal salueer!) and 2SD. I think both can look after themselves.

It's like having a front row seat FFS. And it's free!

Kom nou manne, gee mekaar gas. Ek haat 'n donnerse gevryery.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2010, 02:21:38 pm »
Excalibur, you asked for the "statistics" re. the HP2 motors that blew. You got it. A simple apology would have been in order.
I only spoke the truth, now the whole BMW club hates me. Even Hentie BM laughed at me. I will now go to Arniston for a few days.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Scalpel

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »
Excalibur, you asked for the "statistics" re. the HP2 motors that blew. You got it. A simple apology would have been in order.
I only spoke the truth, now the whole BMW club hates me. Even Hentie BM laughed at me. I will now go to Arniston for a few days.

Drive safely and remember to clean your air filter!! :ricky:
BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »
Thanks Scalpel!

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2010, 02:35:30 pm »

AAG SHAME  :ricky:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

KobusL

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »

What is next? Complaining that BMW riders didn't wave at you on the way to Arniston I guess  :pot:
Have fun  :ricky:

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2010, 02:47:00 pm »
Do I enjoy it if other (respected) forum members like Big Dom and Excalibur give him a bit of a (called for?) tongue lashing? Hell yeah! And so does 2SD, he keeps coming back for more!!

So do I, and the guy is a prolific poster, no way can I keep track of him even if I wanted to.

Like Jaco says, he can look after himself...and I do also value opposing opinions, as expressed to Big Dom. New ideas and concepts are often formed in this way.

What I did object to, was the blunt (pun intended) rebuttal of Exculibar. It is a sorry state of affairs for the knights of the round propellar if that is all that you can come up with.

Rather use this...   :imaposer: his bike (The thing on the right):

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2010, 02:55:52 pm »
Ha Ha Ha that XT is not a thing of beauty.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2010, 02:59:44 pm »

Drive safely and remember to clean your air filter!! :ricky:

Anyone near Arniston this weekend? Slip a bokkom in his airfilter will yer...

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2010, 03:31:55 pm »
Do I enjoy it if other (respected) forum members like Big Dom and Excalibur give him a bit of a (called for?) tongue lashing? Hell yeah! And so does 2SD, he keeps coming back for more!!

So do I, and the guy is a prolific poster, no way can I keep track of him even if I wanted to.

Like Jaco says, he can look after himself...and I do also value opposing opinions, as expressed to Big Dom. New ideas and concepts are often formed in this way.

What I did object to, was the blunt (pun intended) rebuttal of Exculibar. It is a sorry state of affairs for the knights of the round propellar if that is all that you can come up with.

Rather use this...   :imaposer: his bike (The thing on the right):

That DR has the coolest water carrier ever!!!!!!!!!

I want one

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2010, 03:48:30 pm »
That DR has the coolest water carrier ever!!!!!!!!!

Some more here...http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=25319.0

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:13 pm »
I can't compare like bad ass offroad use and dust etc with the HP2. All I know is my HP2 is currently happily on it's way to the 30k miles mark. Over Christmas I took off the pre-filter which was really dirty and replaced it with a clean one. The main filter did not have a mark on it. This is after 6 months riding day in day out come wind, rain, snow or shine.....ohhh and the dreaded road salt in the UK  :patch:

I service the bike myself becuase it is a piece of piss to do and can be done virtually anywhere quickly besides for the electronics - given all new bikes could suffer electrical problems. The rear diff oil was replaced by me for the first time at 29 000 miles, so far so good "touch wood" and the oil that came out was in a pretty decent state. No metal swarth or play on the diff. There seems to be a small weep of oil on the outside seal although this could be from the road as I have a diff protector cover on so not sure where it originates from. Given the amount of oil I drained from the diff it is still ok.

The front forks are really not the best design and had mine replaced by BMW on 15k miles. They seem to start wearing again and this time want to replace with something else a bit beefier as it should of been. Besides this the bike returns between 18-20km/l since the day I bought it regardless of services or dirty filters etc. It remains constant.

I have not ridden the SE and on it's looks seems like a nice bike. I can however count a lot more high mileage HP2 bikes than SE's around that's for sure. All bikes have their own little pit falls, have anybody wondered why nobody attempted to take 10 SE's up in Africa to see how they survive  :pot: :biggrin: ................just thinking out loud here  ;)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »
I am sure that they will survive very well, they are leading the Dakar as we speak. KTM that is.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2010, 05:00:44 pm »
I am sure that they will survive very well, they are leading the Dakar as we speak. KTM that is.

Ohh yes of course I forgot the Dakar is full of KTM SE Super Enduro's  ::)

How did you get from a SE to the 690 ???
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.