WD gathering at Attakwas Kloof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
December. Holiday time. Living in the Garden Route means that lots of Wild Dog forum members holiday in our area. In 2007 and 2008 we spent an evening at Bonniedale Adventure Farm in Attakwaskloof so I thought it a good idea to continue the tradition. The invite went out and 20+ people responded!
biggrin.gif
We were in for a party
mwink.gif

A small (slower) group would depart from George on the morning of the 23rd, while a faster group would ride from Mosselbay with Berm_Rooster. The rest of the group would meet us at Haelkraal or at the venue.

We took a leisurely ride from George with Asterix as pillion again manning the camera.
cool.gif
Following this group was a backup vehicle carrying both my son's CRF's as they would ride a portion of the route to Bonniedale Farm.

The first regroup:

PC230011.jpg

At the 2nd stop we heard bikes approaching from the front. It was Berm_Rooster and his group. They were hopelessly off course
icon_mrgreen.gif

PC230021.jpg

So the now bigger group headed out on the correct route towards Attakwas. Sprocketbek, Flatspin & the rest:

PC230026.jpg

The big regroup at Haelkraal:

PC230049.jpg

Another CRF80 getting ready for the ride.
cool.gif

PC230052.jpg

Approaching the Bonniedale turnoff:

PC230071.jpg

Lots of Honda's on this ride. What a beautiful shot
mwink.gif
biggrin.gif

PC230083.jpg

My youngest enjoying the ride on his CRF70
rider10.gif

PC230085.jpg

And finally Bonniedale Adventure Farm:

PC230138.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Photo by Captain Slow

The historic Attakwaskloof Pass starts from here and it has a wicket solid rock uphill that has to be negotiated before you can continue with the rest of the route. We rode up there with small bikes on the Southern Cape Trail Ride and believe me it's no joke. So of course at least one big bike had to try. It was to be Berm_Rooster on the BMW HP2.
icon_mrgreen.gif
OK, the HP2 is hardly a "big bike" in that sense. It's actually an extremely capable bike in this application, but the dare was made and excepted.
evil610.gif

PC230089.jpg

A whole group came with to witness the potential disaster...

PC230090.jpg

As is usual a photo does not nearly do the true incline justice. It's steep. Luckily traction is not a problem as it's solid rock. Etienne rode up first with the DRZ to show Berm_Rooster the line and he followed immediately after...

< There is a video clip here which I cant seem to embed on the forum :-\ For the RR with the clip looky here >

He made it look so easy it was a joke! These guys can ride!
cool.gif

And then the festivities could start.
biggrin.gif

PC230145.jpg

Pic17.jpg

Photo by Captain Slow

PC230146.jpg

The party carried on well into the night
occasi11.gif

Maybe the less photos of later that night the better...
evil610.gif

The next morning around camp:

PC240147.jpg

Beautiful aren't they?
cool.gif

PC240149.jpg

Smithy showing some battle scars from the previous night
icon_mrgreen.gif

PC240153.jpg

PC240154.jpg

Eventually everybody packed and headed out. Loggie and I decided to take the long way round to George, crossing the Robinson Pass into the Klein Karoo.

PC240155.jpg

PC240159.jpg

Some Klein Karoo scenery. The nice thing about this area is that you can ride through a variety of contrasting scenery in relatively few km's.

PC240174.jpg

PC240168.jpg

PC240180.jpg

PC240164.jpg

Another scenery stop on Outeniqua Pass, where we met another Wild Dog (Paul I think?)
wave.gif

PC240183.jpg

Thanks to all who attended! Was another good one!
icon_thumleft.gif