My Turn to have an off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funacide

Race Dog
Administrator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
So, Christmas brought my wife and I a present in the form of our first off on tar together on the bike, this happened yesterday (26/12/2006).

We were heading towards the dam wall at Hartebeespoort coming along next to the mandatory queue of cars waiting for lights to change when a group of guys selling goods in the middle of the road decided to run accross, three of them made it easily but the fourth saw me and doubled back, I had already started to swerve to the right to avoid him.

End result is that I connected him with the left handle bar of the bike and the wife and I came down hard on the right hand side of the bike. Luckily both of us are relatively ok, just some bruising and sore ribs.

Thank goodness for the proper protective gear we were both wearing at the time.

The bike has minimal damage:
Both hand protectors are broken, the left side from hitting the guy the right from hitting the road
Crash bars have a broken mounting bracket
Both mirrors are totally broken
Petrol Tank has dents and scratches from my boots hitting the tank when we fell off.
Rear indicator broken off
The back right footpeck is not in good shape but is still usable

I still need to assess the bike for further damage, will be doing that sometime today.

I am just very gratefull that my wife is not hurt. Coming down like this makes you realise how much responsability you have for you pillion....

I am very dissapointed with the BMW pants that I had on as they are rubbed through on the hip and we only slid about 10 meters on the tar, while my wifes pants (IXS) are not scraped through at all.

Pedestrians for me are far more dangerous and unpredictable than cars....