worst ride ever - the storm from hell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coala

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So on the 26th of December at 07h00 we left for Clarens.  At the garage over the N1 before Allendale I saw trouble brewing in the distance, stopped and donned the rain jacket.  Off we went into the very rapidly darkening beyond.  Just after the N1/N3 split is started. Bloody hell: me wife on the 800 pushed on – but it was rapidly becoming clear this was no ordinary little drizzle – the N3 rapidly turned into a river – cars slowed to 40-50Km/h and nowhere to stop – on we pushed – visibility decreased to almost zero – so much so that I had to stop in the road to look up to the direction boards to see where we are going.  First time I stopped in the fast or middle lane of the N3 – reason – nobody could see shit.  Tried to pull off at a bridge but with the roadworks no place to stop except inside the lane – and with visibility as it was we only tried it for a few seconds – water almost up to the end of my riding boots – THAT DEEP.  Way too dangerous. Off we went again – by now my visor was so fogged up I could not see a thing.  Opened it up and took it in the face – hail and all - only for a contact lense to start swimming in the left eye.  Cleared just outside the Heidelberg turn off  - worst and may I say most memorable ride ever.  BLOOODY hell.  Any dogs out there who were caught in the same storm????