The joys of not having a garage......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
......In the UK and in the middle of winter.

The plan for the evening was to remove the AT handlebars I have fitted on the KLR and so I could fit them on the AT tomorrow night. I've just bought a new set of heated grips and are quite desperate to fit them since my hands are absolutely freezing on the bike.

So, step 1. Dress appropriately for the conditions. It's about 5 degrees outside and the time is 21:00.

DSC00836.jpg

Step 2. Remove the handlebars from the KLR. This went without incident as you'd expect. In fact I did it so quickly I decided to fit them on the AT while I'm at it.

Step 3. Removing the handlebars from the AT passed without incident too. In case you're wondering - they were slightly bent and a bit too low for my liking even though I have handlebar risers. Not having a garage means the bike becomes your work bench.

DSC00835.jpg

Maverick - Here's proof that I'm using the Christmas pressies! Thanks Dude!

Step 4. Remove the old heated grips. What a PITA!! Unlike normal grips you can't simply cut them to pieces. You have to force a screwdiver underneath them and break them. It took me about half an hour to do this bit..

DSC00837.jpg

...and another half an hour for the rest. My hands were killing me. And yes, it would've been a good idea to leave the grips on the handlebars whilst trying to remove them.

Step 5. Mount the handlebars and fit all the controls. No problem here apart from the throttle cable giving me a bit of grief.

Step 6. Fit the new grips. OMG!! Why does the manufacturer bother to give a tube of superglue with the grips. It's virtually impossible to get the grips to slide over the bars. In fact, I wasn't able to slide the thottle grip on completely without doing too much damage.

DSC00842.jpg

Step 7. Call it a night and do the electrics for the grips tomorow. Problem is that my current handguards don't (yet) fit on the stock AT handlebars and since I've fitted the orginal Honda handguards to the new handguards (to act as wind spoilers) I now have neither heated grips nor handguards to deflect the wind. I know someone who'll be sh!tting bricks in the morning...

A bit messy but it'll have to do for now. The worst bit is that I've realised that I don't even like the stock AT handlebars - I prefer the Renthal ones as they are flatter. Will probably get used to this though.

DSC00840.jpg