BMW R1200GS - Topbox

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koplamp

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I fitted the top box. That very expensive, alluminium, expandible top box. The reason, mainly to reduce the "backseat" concerns about the possibility of falling off but also to maybe fit in the occasional six pack or maybe a briefcase when going to town.

When it was fitted, just as I handed over the cash to the gentlemen, I was told that BMW bolts the top box to the bike - reason: there is a slight possibility that it might shake off when you are going off-road. I wanted to be able to put it on and remove it and since it came with that mechanism, I thought it better to remove the bolts and click it on and off. It actually felt quite solid and since I only used it when travelling onroad, I felt happy that my investment is sound.

Came faarking yesterday. One stop street it was there, next robot it was gone. Turned around, found the plastic laying aroung in the road (some bystander made his way home with it already). All I had in it was some mail. And it just came off under standard road conditions (no serious bumps or low level flying).

My question, sure BMW told me about the risk, but hey, shouldn't it work like it was meant to in the first place? Isn't there some sort of design fault with it in the first place? Shouldn't I be entitled to get a new top box with my free HP2 now? Anyway, laugh or cry with me, just make a note of this to prevent it from happening to you too.