My first foray into the Cedarberg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macduff

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
Believe it or not, but I have never been inside the Cedarberg region to date, apart from riding on the N7 up to the Northern Cape.
Our planned route was a simple one. From home to Ceres, on to Citrusdal then home again.

We left Alans place at 08.30 sharp.
He on a Dakar, Jenny his wife on a 650GS
830%2Bam.jpg

Unlike some people, I dont enjoy getting to Wellington.
Even though the the road has been upgraded, I find it tiresome.
I just look ahead to the mountains :)

Our first smoke break somewhere - just short of Wellington.
1st%2Bsmokebreak.jpg

We passed right through Wellington, and on to the Bainskloof pass.
A route I will never tire of...
ascending%2Bbainskloof.jpg

We stopped for breakfast at the Calabash which was lekker peaceful.

A quick hop over the fast Michell pass and into Ceres.
This is my previous limit to riding in that direction. I was excited.

Approaching the Gydo Pass, I visualised all those pictures I have seen.
And then.... oops, no clutch!!!! :shock:
My cable had snapped whilst riding. I carried on up the pass and slowly geared down and into neutral as I approached the parking area at the lookout spot.
(I had always imagined this view to be facing the "other" way :lol: )
gydo%2Bpass.jpg

Now the discussion started on how to get home. Going back the way through Ceres was not really on. I decided to carry on with the planned route, as from Citrusdal, the N7 has no stops right until close to Cape Town. So with engine running, I coasted back down the pass and clicked up into 2nd gear. Now I had to find a place to turn around without stopping :)
It worked, and off I went with my two buddies riding behind in case of problems. I even managed to stop for a smoke break somewhere on that road.
I was so suprised with the scenery. I expected it to be more harsh, karoo-like vegetation. But it was quite lush and full or orchards and vegetable farms.
So we approached the end of the valley, and it turned to a dirt road. I just took it easy, and left my two friends to ride at their own speed and leisure behind me. Jenny has just ridden on dirt roads once before and so they did not push it.
Even though I was preoccupied with my problem, I managed to enjoy the close up mountain views. Beautiful.
I dont know the name of the short little pass which pops over the mountain and finally into Citrusdal, but I stopped up there knowing I have a downhill on the other side.
Here is Jenny approaching the summit.
dirt%2Bpass.jpg

Approaching Citrusdal, I stopped on the last of the downhill, and took Alans Dakar to scout the village. To see how I was going to get through. I was going to just ride through.
We all left the hillside (I felt like we were a band of robbers, hiding in them hills and scouting our next bank to rob)
Alan went ahead, and as I approached, he simply parked in the middle of the intersection and stopped the 3 vehicles who were there at the time, while I slowly cruised through. At the intersection with the N7 I again just took the approach slowly till there was a clear gap, and just went for it. I used this method the whole way home. Just taking gaps, without consideration to stop signs. Robots I timed from afar till they went green, and just scooted on through them.
I next stopped in Piketberg for fuel and food and a good few smokes.
final%2Bsmoke.jpg

Again I found a slope, took the gap and hit the N7.
At Morning Star, I turned right towards Melkbos, then timed the robots and went onto the R27 towards Table View. Clever Alan suggested I again turn right onto the new link road going to Big Bay (no stops, no robots - just traffic circles) and so I managed to get all the way to Marine Circle where I could not time the robots and stalled the bike.
No problem. Alan just towed me the 500 meters to his home.
It was a strange day. Some beautiful scenery, but at the back of my mind was this bloody clutch problem. Anyway, I/we made it.
10.5 hours away, covering 408 km.
(alan also took pics, and when he sends them to me, i will post them)