Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: J?burg - Memel - Weenen - Sani Top - Fouriesburg - J?burg  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Ysterman

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
J?burg - Memel - Weenen - Sani Top - Fouriesburg - J?burg
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 02:09:12 pm »
Day 4 ? Sani Top to Fouriesburg

Next morning, the weather has improved after early morning fog that had me worried that I will miss Lesotho?s magnificent scenery.  Still couldn?t see Sani pass completely, but these are the views from the top.

Mmmmm, so on which one of these sections did I ding my pannier ?  If only the photo wasn?t so overexposed.

Left Sani Top after a good breakfast for Fouriesburg via Mokhotlong, Oxbow and Butha Buthe.  Up to Mokhotlong is a nice dirt road with an easy pass.  Encountered a couple of muddy sections, but by now I?m not worried about mud ? besides the first gear that also does not help to go nice and slow (does somebody know the secret to riding slow with the GS?s first gear?), I duck-walk the ADV just fine.  The view fro the top of the pass and down the pass.

This is somewhere ? can?t remember where.  Wanted a nice waterfall picture but again way overexposed.  

After Mokhotlong, it?s tar all the way ? tar with big potholes & lots of dirt on it, especially in the turns.  Riding was slow, but impressive with the tight turns and steep hills.  Again, without the GPS never really knew how I was doing with time and where I am, the road directions are not too bad ? I managed to stay on the correct road.  Some of the road is pretty boring, especially thru the urban areas.  But once thru it and ?on top? of the mountains its very pretty again.  The road going to the right is to Katse via Kao.  Were tempted to take a left there ? the ADV is facing towards Sani Top.  

The next couple of photos are before the pass down to Butha Buthe.

Another stunning pass going down to Butha Buthe ? if this one was dirt, it would have been fun.  Can just make it the road snaking to the left in the distance there ?

Made it thru Lesotho then without any hassles.  The last section after the pass pretty boring again.  Stayed over at Camelroc just across the border ? not bad, but way to close the Lesotho on a Xmas day ? the partying and music never stopped ? went right thru the night, and the music not my taste.  Screaming and yelling, could not imagine what the hell was happening over there ?   At the Lesotho border post, they asked me to fill in a tourism questionnaire ? excellent idea I think for them, will do wonders to sort out all the little problems we encounter.  Also got a free mini Lesotho hat for doing the questionnaire.

This is in SA, on my way to Camelroc.

After settling down in the guest house, looked in the mirror and what did I see?  A bloody helmet tan of note!  No wonder, my face was feeling a bit funny and hot.  Another lesson learned ? sunscreen!  Anyway, went into Fouriesburg to get something to eat, but nothing and the geast house also wasn?t serving anything.  So after an energy bar, couple of brandy & cokes, I went to bed ? my body was starting to feel the effects of long hours on the footpegs.  Standing up is lekker, but ?

Kev

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 01:03:02 am »
The beauty of the place can still be appreciated, even if the pics are over-exposed. Gives you an excuse to go again!  :wink: Some really nice places you went to there. :thumbleft:

shark_za

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 08:10:15 am »
Awesome trip dude.

If you turned left just before Motlokong the road to Maseru is similar to the winding tar you show, just mostly dirt. Lesotho is simply stunning DS territory.

Sunburn and windburn tips are things you pick up as you go, thanks for sharing.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 09:03:05 am »
Well done TTZ :D

Basotho Hats off to you for completing this trip (especially Sani Pass in the wet).
Personally i love Lesotho and the scenery, you just cannot get enough of the mountains, the waterfalls, hills and the scenery at every corner.
It is amazing how the weather can create a completely ride.

Glad you had a good time, let me know ehn you want to go practice those Mud skills you have developed   :twisted:  :twisted:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Ysterman

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 09:16:50 am »
Last day ? Fouriesburg to J?burg

So the last day arrives.  Had an early start with all the noise from Lesotho ? left the guest house just before 6:00.  Wasn?t very excited about returning to J?burg as it meant the end of my 4-day holiday.  Was hoping for a stunning day, but again the weather didn?t play along ? visibility wasn?t great (misty as you will make out from the pics) all the way to J?burg and also passed thru 2 rainstorms.  Anyway, as Kev mentioned, it gives me a good excuse to go and do it again.

Decided to ride thru Golden Gate to Villiers and then back to J?burg.  These were taken before the park.  The ride was uneventful ? just spectacular scenery in the early morning.  

These were taken inside the park.  Also saw some game, but didn?t stop for photos.  When you enter the park you have to write down the time you enter and the same thing as you leave ? hope there isn?t an overeager government agent that checks the times to calculate average speed thru the park ?

Once thru the park, the visibility and weather worsened, so I opened the throttle a bit and made it for Villiers ? was lus for a lekker Wimpy breakfast.  But off course it was holiday season and couldn?t even get a parking at the Wimpy ? had to get some take-aways and sit outside.  With all the traffic, I wasn?t in the mood for a busy highway and decided to take the scenic route back to Memel ? good decision in the end.  It?s just simply beautiful in that area ? took my last photos for the trip on this dirt road.

In Memel I filled up the ADV for the last time and made it for J?burg ? the ADV is quite thirsty at high speed with panniers & top box ?

For my first trip ? awesome experience.  Learned a lot and these are some of the things I will do / not do next time:

-   Boots, although the Savannah?s are great, my feet was feeling the pressure from standing up ? have to get the right boots, perhaps the Rallye GS2 Enduro?
-   Tyres ? going off-road, fit the knobblies.  Take it easy on the tar if it?s raining somewhere along the trip.
-   Sunscreen ? take it along.
-   Tools ? didn?t take along any other tools than what came with the ADV.  The mirror came loose and couldn?t fasten it properly ? really irritated me for 3 days.
-   Mud ? duck-walk it.
-   Find a solution or learn how to control the 1st gear ? any advise will be greatly appreciated.
-   Stand up, look up & trust the ADV, not your gut.
-   Prepsol ? bought a drum to clean the ADV & my MTB ? perhaps I did it all wrong, but I had to hand wash it afterwards.  So the drum is up for sale ? only used about 3l.

Till the next one then, cheers.

shark_za

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 09:30:42 am »
I got a bud selling GS2's only worn 3x.
And I'll take the Prepsol.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Re: J?burg - Memel - Weenen - Sani Top - Fouriesburg - J?bur
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 09:55:56 am »
I must admit something...
When I started reading this report I didn't hold out much hope.
I thought: "Ag fok, another poser with a spick-an-span GSA trying to impress us with a boring trip report about the country's best guesthouses.
Boy was I wrong! You did an amazing ride and the pics are great too.
Much respect and apologies.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful ride with us.

...but in my defence...that bike looked unnaturally clean :wink:
Quote from: "TTZ"

kwaailappies!

shark_za

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 11:19:59 am »

-   Find a solution or learn how to control the 1st gear ? any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Get an 1150 GS Adv ?

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 12:15:31 pm »
excellent ttz! thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

Offline Ysterman

Re: J?burg - Memel - Weenen - Sani Top - Fouriesburg - J?bur
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 01:36:25 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
...but in my defence...that bike looked unnaturally clean :wink:

Ja it did, and it is "spick-an-span" again :oops: , ready for the next trip to get dirty again :D :D  :D

Offline Ysterman

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007, 01:46:02 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"

Get an 1150 GS Adv ?

Not a  bad idea, swopped a while ago with bmad and the difference is huge - 1st time on a 1150 for me.  Would defenitely have made life easier, but the 1200 is here to stay ... got to get used to it.
My finances is a bit stuffed at the moment, but will pm you for more info on the boots, and if you want the prepsol.

Offline Ysterman

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2007, 02:02:05 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
i am enjoying this report tremendously... keep it up  :)  :)

that home seems pretty close to the tugela. doesnt it get flooded often?

Not sure actually, will ask them - didn't show this pic which gives you a "side view" to judge how far they're from the river level.  The first house is G's brother & the second his mother's

Offline Ysterman

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 02:09:51 pm »
Quote from: "bmad"
Glad you had a good time, let me know ehn you want to go practice those Mud skills you have developed   :twisted:  :twisted:

Anytime bmad, maybe just before I fix that damn right mirror that gets in the way everytime the ADV "runs off its side stand" :D

Offline Stephan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 09:07:42 am »
TTZ enjoyed the report.  Re the overexposure, did the same except the photies I overexposed was the onde's I took of  tigerfish Red caught, lot of lip about that one.  The trip through from Sani to Katse is one that's one my list of must do's, just have to find time somewhere.  Must admit also don't enjoy the mud.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 11:13:04 am »
TTZ,

Big ball is all I can say, great report and I will make the same trip in March.  

:idea: I found a similar problem with my camera during our trip to Namibia last August.  I had for some reason set my picture size different on normal view and another setting on the anti-shake setting.  This made taking a picture very difficult.  Only picked this up when I got home and many picture where wasted.  :idea:

Hats off to you for trying Sani in the wet with Anakee's, you would have done better though the mud with knobblies, Anakee's are just a waste of money and absolutely useless in mud, that goes for most dual purpose tyres.  You would have found the mud much more friendly and the 1st gear problem less noticable.  That my opinion anyway and I will stick to it.  I have a GS Adv and am sure of what I am saying.
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline THEdude (R.I.P)

• RIP
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 05:06:20 pm »
Excellent! My brother in law and I went to Witzenberg just outside Memel towards the end of last year (when I still had the TA). The 40kms to the overnight hut took us almost 5 hours, but the scenery makes all the suffering worthwhile. We are planning to go there again in Feb, minus the tricky bits.

PS: There was some bikers gathering the previous evening in Memel which apparently didnt go down well with the locals: that probably explains the cold reception we received when we entered town.

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Clutch
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:17 pm »

Mud ? duck-walk it.

That 1st gear.... I have learnt the following from my BM friends:  If you HAVE to go slow, the trick is to feather the clutch and at the same time control throttle and brakes to get you where you need to be.  Feathering the clutch just right, at the right revs will slow you right down, and you keep full control.  If you have not done it yet, practice a little, you will get it right real quickly.  8)

Those dry clutches do start smoking if they work too hard, but they can take quite heavy pounding before it gets to that, so no need to nurse it too much.  Only stop if you cannot see the footpegs through the blue smoke any more.   :shock:

Remeber that an ounce of momentum is worth a pound of traction!  :)

-   Prepsol ? bought a drum to clean the ADV & my MTB ? perhaps I did it all wrong, but I had to hand wash it afterwards.  So the drum is up for sale ? only used about 3l.

Prepsol is good, but does not remove ALL the dirt.  You need to wash the bike with some water and soap after Prepsol treatment to get it as shiny as yours.  Prepsol however does make the job very easy - it removes all the sticky stuff.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Grondpad

• Ek laaik tiet kwaai....... :)
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 08:13:08 am »
I really enjoyed reading your trip report!  

I clean my bike once a month +- 3 hours of intense cleaning,  and even polish my exhaust!  :D

Offline Ysterman

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 08:21:55 am »
Quote from: "Grondpad"
I clean my bike once a month +- 3 hours of intense cleaning,  and even polish my exhaust!  :D

How do you clean that exhaust?

Offline Grondpad

• Ek laaik tiet kwaai....... :)
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 09:15:52 am »
Quote from: "Grondpad"

How do you clean that exhaust?

Metal polish, (buy the good stuff at Middas)  Rub till you see a mirror reflection of your face in za kuzose!  :lol: