Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: J?burg - Memel - Weenen - Sani Top - Fouriesburg - J?burg  (Read 3153 times)

Offline brutus maximus

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
J?burg - Memel - Weenen - Sani Top - Fouriesburg - J?burg
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 11:50:34 pm »
Hi TTZ,

Thanks for a great ride report.

I really admire your courage riding in those conditions up Sani etc without a fellow rider.

I sometimes wonder though how one would cope if something serious happened and you needed assistance i.e. a bad fall, mechanical failure etc.

Without being judgemental I can't help thinking that it is a tad foolish but then again perhaps the true adventurers are the ones that are prepared to brave the elements on their own and take the consequences.

I realise that this issue may have been raised on previous threads but I would be interested to hear how others feel.

Cheers
BMW 1200 GS Adventure

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 11:35:59 am »
Quote from: "brutus maximus"

Without being judgemental I can't help thinking that it is a tad foolish but then again perhaps the true adventurers are the ones that are prepared to brave the elements on their own and take the consequences.

In general, I agree that our game is a buddy sport.  If you crash in the middle on nowhere wihtout a buddy to look after you and get assistance, you are a little stitched.....  Some will be happy to live with the risk - I suppose everyone needs to work that through his own mind. (No reflection on this tread, I have no problem with TTZ's ride)

Risk wise, Sani is sometimes a little over rated.  :)  The ride is not that technical, and anybody with a little bit of experience will ride it without a problem, even in the wet. (Just need a little more experience). (Proper snow is different story.... :shock:  :shock: )  The odd "crash" that does happen there is low speed / little to no damage most of the time.  But you also do get the odd speed freak who will prove the above totally wrong and arrive at the bottom with lots of broken bones and a written off bike.  :(  There is lots of traffic (especially weekends), all looking for adventure - so should you get hurt, help will normally not be too far away.  

It is all about attitude, riding within your skill and comfort levels and being kitted correctly.

Every person on this forum should make an effort to ride Sani before they tar it, (you have some time).  The scenery and all that goes with the ride is someting to remember.  Once tarred, we have some other poorly maintained passes we can ride to get into Lesotho!  (I have done some "looking around").  Looking forward....  8)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Ysterman

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 03:36:16 pm »
Quote from: "SGB"
It is all about attitude, riding within your skill and comfort levels and being kitted correctly.

I think that sums it up ? whether you?re alone or riding in a group.  Even with that said, sometimes things just go wrong ? be prepared as best you can, have a plan B.

It was nice doing the ride alone, spend time with yourself.  However, my std5 teacher used to say ?hoe meer siele hoe meer vreugde? and its true.  Would much rather prefer to d a ride with mates, but that?s not always possible.  Then you go solo, maybe a time to proof to yourself that you can, it could be a trip with great personal rewards.

Never be scared to go solo, just don?t do anything stupid.

Offline brutus maximus

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 05:11:59 pm »
Points taken and respected ..

Just wanted to get people thinking .... :)
BMW 1200 GS Adventure

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 10:10:15 pm »
Respect Respect :D ..Thanks for wonderful report and spectacular photos, some might be over exposed but you realy captured the beauty and ruggedness of the area. Will one day follow your tyre treads and those that went before you. It's rides and adventures like that that make the money we spend worth while. :)

:oops: I realy need to get out and ride, soory about the sentamentality :oops: