J?burg - Memel - Weenen - Sani Top - Fouriesburg - J?burg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ysterman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Before I start, have to apologize for the quality of some of the photos. This being my first trip, I really wanted to make an effort with the photos, but unfortunately I used a setting on the camera that overexposed the images. So, pretty disappointed with the damn camera (or perhaps I should take some photography lessons) ? anyway I?ve included some of them after some extensive Photoshop doctoring ? overexposed images cannot be fixed.

Day 1 ? J?burg to Memel

Friday morning, everything is packed ? ready to go, but first have to spend a couple of hours in the office. Suppose to leave the office at 13:00 and meet up with P around 14:00 at the Total garage just outside J?burg. However couldn?t wait till then and left early ? just to catch up with P after Gillooly?s who also decided to leave early.

Stopped at the Villiers Wimpy for lunch, and then took the road via Vrede to Memel. Passed thru a couple of rain storms on the way and got soaking wet ? luckily it was rather warm and the rain helped to cool us down. Riding thru heavy rain & traffic wasn?t fun, but the Anakees helped. Well, we arrived in Memel and the first stop was at the butchery - the biltong is really good and highly recommended!

Well, it turns out the butcher has a GS ? after getting the biltong, he and his wife got outside to have a chat and look at the bikes ? friendly people. He then recommended some short dirt road trips around Memel for us to do that afternoon. Beautiful scenery around Memel ? almost everywhere you look. Some of the locals? homes next to the road ? really pretty.

Stayed over at the Cliffdale Hotel - small hotel with only 8/9 rooms separate from the main building, but excellent accommodation. Also very pretty. Some of the rooms from the courtyard.

The main building from the courtyard.

The front of the Cliffdale Hotel.

This is the small town of Memel ? although it does not show everything, there is not much more. Stunning little town. Great place to spend a weekend to get away from the city. Please don?t tell anybody ? the atmosphere is just perfect as it is now ? an influx of J?burgers can just ruin the town or destroy that ?thing? that makes it special right now.

Day 1 ends in the Cliffdale Hotel pub with a couple of beers and a food basket, done mostly tar just to get out of the city and to Memel, but the butcher?s friendly advise on the short dirt roads around Memel gave us a taste of what?s to come on day 2.