Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 690 Mods and Bling Bling  (Read 4114 times)

Offline pap snoek

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Re: KTM 690 Mods and Bling Bling
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 01:36:44 pm »
Sorry it is 2nd and 3rd gear de-restriction.Answers can be found here:
http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/ktm-690-enduro-faq.html

Having said that i must say i didn't feel any diffs after i did it so not sure if i would recomend it.

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 01:46:31 pm »
The whole airbox can be removed and replaced with a K&N filter and 2 engine breather filters.I did this as i was going to use the space to put a extra fuel tank ther but the guys overseas who make the tank have gone bust so i might just build a nice box to put tools etc in.Space is about 4.5L if the airbox is removed.

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »
Alberto Dottori
http://www.albertodottori.net/africa%20ecorace.htm

is making a new ralley fairing as well as tanks for the 690E.He is away at the moment doing a ralley in Africa and will be back middle Jan.Fairing will cost 600 Euro plus another 100 Euro if you want the lights as well.Will be a lot cheaper than the Rally Management one.Looks like he copied them anyway.

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 01:58:31 pm »
There is also a British group that are making tanks ,fairing and other things for the 690.Also looks good.
Follow the links.They will be using the 950 type fairing and lights.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46312

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 02:11:56 pm »
How about a decal kit?

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 02:13:48 pm »
Camel Toe helps in the sand(no jokes please)

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 02:15:12 pm »
Pics of my airbox gone

Offline Crowley

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »
Camel Toe helps in the sand(no jokes please)

:imaposer:
Brilliant. Where did you get this?
Did a quick search on Google and completely forgot about bikes for some reason. 

Offline B.V.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 02:47:38 pm »
Here is my bling bling story.

Steering damper.
 I have the Emigg damper that I bought for the 950. Got the right brackets and fitted it to the 690. Great service from them.

Fitted the Leo Vince pipe. Pricing was my main factor for the pipe( Leo Vice vs Acra). The reason for the pipe was temp and weight. The sound was too loud and I took the pipe to Scorch in Cape Town who made it a bit better.

Pannier brackets
The rear carrier plate I made from 12mm steel piping. I like to make it as solid as possible starting from the foot pegs upward. Made the Heppco and Becker boxes to fit, but never used it. Maybe later. The rear  is mounted at the foot pegs, 4 bolts on top and the number plate  is connected.

Fuel tank.
I ordered my tank from Aqualine. At the time I ordered my tank; the tanks were still being designed. Got the tank in June. Nice fit. Everything work fine and assembly the first time was a nightmare but now that I know how it is a breeze. The tanks now take about 26l and gives me a range of about 500km. I do a lot of riding in the Namaqwaland and need a range of between 350 to 400km. The aqualine works from a tap to the main tank. Making the aqualine a sub tank. No need to fill up at the back anymore. We did Mozambique in September with some sand riding and the front tank is no hindrance. It does not make the front heavy. It also does not make the bike unstable at speed.

Seat.
I took the seat to McCarthy auto trimmers in Cape Town. They reupholstered the seat making it wider and harder. Yes harder! But after the first trip I am very happy with the seat. I was really scared that I buggerd the seat up but yes it worked. The problem with the tank is that the seat must go underneath the tank in the front.
Renazco was on the wish list but pricing and the waiting list made it impossible.

Air cleaner.
 I replaced my air cleaner with a sponge type. The original one is a joke and lets dust trough. I know KTM replace the filter with sponge ones now.

Front sprocket.
Papsnoek told me to change the front sprocket to a 16 tooth. This transforms the bike completely into a tourer. At 150km/h the engine runs at 6200rpm. For me this was one of the best mods, thanks Papsnoek!
Screen.
I had the motard  KTM screen on in the beginning but replaced it with the Alberto Detorry from Italy a few weeks ago. Like most things from the Italians I worked on the fitting was a BIG pain in the arse. Nothing fitted. The brackets is flimsy at best. The Screen fits around the tank but thatís it. The light donít fit, the paint must be done and the Speedo loose its mounting brackets.
After getting the 12mm pipe outagain and replacing some of the brackets I am now very happy. The screen works brillian! At 150km/h the bike is super stable and the rider is complete out of the wind. Personally I think it works too good for me, but I am only 1.76m. The bike feels now the same as my 950 but 70kg lighter.

What will I change more. I still do not like the fairing brackets. Want to change it to aluminium.  I would like to do more work on the rear pannier brackets, but winter is on itís way again.

Will I do it over?      
 Hell YES!!

Can someone please post these picís . I have to learn how to do this. :(

http://img259.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc04751.jpg

Offline Crowley

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 03:00:11 pm »
Here is my bling bling story.

Steering damper.
 I have the Emigg damper that I bought for the 950. Got the right brackets and fitted it to the 690. Great service from them.

Fitted the Leo Vince pipe. Pricing was my main factor for the pipe( Leo Vice vs Acra). The reason for the pipe was temp and weight. The sound was too loud and I took the pipe to Scorch in Cape Town who made it a bit better.

Pannier brackets
The rear carrier plate I made from 12mm steel piping. I like to make it as solid as possible starting from the foot pegs upward. Made the Heppco and Becker boxes to fit, but never used it. Maybe later. The rear  is mounted at the foot pegs, 4 bolts on top and the number plate  is connected.

Fuel tank.
I ordered my tank from Aqualine. At the time I ordered my tank; the tanks were still being designed. Got the tank in June. Nice fit. Everything work fine and assembly the first time was a nightmare but now that I know how it is a breeze. The tanks now take about 26l and gives me a range of about 500km. I do a lot of riding in the Namaqwaland and need a range of between 350 to 400km. The aqualine works from a tap to the main tank. Making the aqualine a sub tank. No need to fill up at the back anymore. We did Mozambique in September with some sand riding and the front tank is no hindrance. It does not make the front heavy. It also does not make the bike unstable at speed.

Seat.
I took the seat to McCarthy auto trimmers in Cape Town. They reupholstered the seat making it wider and harder. Yes harder! But after the first trip I am very happy with the seat. I was really scared that I buggerd the seat up but yes it worked. The problem with the tank is that the seat must go underneath the tank in the front.
Renazco was on the wish list but pricing and the waiting list made it impossible.

Air cleaner.
 I replaced my air cleaner with a sponge type. The original one is a joke and lets dust trough. I know KTM replace the filter with sponge ones now.

Front sprocket.
Papsnoek told me to change the front sprocket to a 16 tooth. This transforms the bike completely into a tourer. At 150km/h the engine runs at 6200rpm. For me this was one of the best mods, thanks Papsnoek!
Screen.
I had the motard  KTM screen on in the beginning but replaced it with the Alberto Detorry from Italy a few weeks ago. Like most things from the Italians I worked on the fitting was a BIG pain in the arse. Nothing fitted. The brackets is flimsy at best. The Screen fits around the tank but thatís it. The light donít fit, the paint must be done and the Speedo loose its mounting brackets.
After getting the 12mm pipe outagain and replacing some of the brackets I am now very happy. The screen works brillian! At 150km/h the bike is super stable and the rider is complete out of the wind. Personally I think it works too good for me, but I am only 1.76m. The bike feels now the same as my 950 but 70kg lighter.

What will I change more. I still do not like the fairing brackets. Want to change it to aluminium.  I would like to do more work on the rear pannier brackets, but winter is on itís way again.

Will I do it over?       
 Hell YES!!

Can someone please post these picís . I have to learn how to do this. :(

http://img259.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc04751.jpg

Hope that this works.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:03:27 pm by Crowley »

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54:31 pm »
Alberto Dottori

is making a new ralley fairing as well as tanks for the 690E.He is away at the moment doing a ralley in Africa and will be back middle Jan.Fairing will cost 600 Euro plus another 100 Euro if you want the lights as well.Will be a lot cheaper than the Rally Management one.Looks like he copied them anyway.

Dammit - that's nicer than the Safari tanks. Brilliant
I like the fairing more as well

I'm going to check it out   :thumleft:
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 06:13:39 pm »
Read about it here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643&page=710
If you haven't read this you got over 700 pages on the 690E to go thru. ;D

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 06:17:28 pm »
Just off the subject there are a few privateers doing the dakar this year on almost standard 690E'S

Offline Oetie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 06:18:23 pm »
Alberto Dottori

:drif: :drif:
Live life to the fullest!!

Offline Plothond

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »
There is also a British group that are making tanks ,fairing and other things for the 690.Also looks good.
Follow the links.They will be using the 950 type fairing and lights.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46312

aaah, the choices - they look the business as well

Offline pap snoek

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 06:34:08 pm »
I like the tanks from the Brits and i dont think it will be too expensive.Dont like thier fairing with the 990 light tho but they will sell the fairing blanked off so you can cut and put any light in that you want.

Offline Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 09:45:17 am »
 :peepwall:
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 09:48:22 am »
Nice mods for the 690 Plottie... I hate the new screen though... Looks nasty and makes it look cheap IMO

What is the total bill now for the 690?
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 09:59:37 am »
Alberto Dottori

:drif: :drif:

The screw or bolt ends should be in black or orange. Very nice fairing! The colour match is wrong though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:00:21 am by Pistonpete »
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Plothond

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:09 pm »
Nice mods for the 690 Plottie... I hate the new screen though... Looks nasty and makes it look cheap IMO

I agree - it's a temp solution