Maiden 3500km ride by a maiden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NXR 125
THE TRIP

The team:
Racing Chic – Honda NXR 125, maiden trip.
Puddles – BMW GS 650 Twin
Hoofseun – BMW 1200 GSA

Distance travelled:  3680km.

The trip (first part missed till about Theunissen)

AAA_Route.jpg

Performance statistics:
a) Baviaanskloof 0 and Bikers 3
b) Transkei 2 and Bikers 1
c) Geyser 1 and Bikers 0

Guideline:  When taking a first trip keep it short, Bhawhaa, go big or go home!

DAY 1 AND 2 (24 AND 25 DEC 09 – PRETORIA TO BLOEMFONTEIN)

The nerves started once we began packing .After loading the bikes we went to Honda Menlyn as Albie the Sales Manager wanted to see the Honda NXR 125 before it started the two week long trip (take a few photies).

PC243435.jpg

From here we started the 480km trip to Bloemfontein.  This took us about six hours.(Zzzz)  Finally we stayed over in Bloemfontein for Christmas day and I got to see some of the places around bloem including all the talent.

DAY 3 (26 DEC 09 – BLOEMFONTEIN TO GARIEP DAM)

On day three we left for Gariep Dam.  We took the scenic route via Steunmekaar to Fauresmith and then finally via Philipolis.
Taking a short breather at the Hagasdam offramp outside Bloemfontein on the Jagersfontein road.

PC263451.jpg

At Steunmekaar we took a short break and Hoofseun told some stories of when he was still around in the area.  A friend of his stayed close by on a farm and they also had a small farm in the area.  The old truck stop still bears the SAS/SAR signature from years gone by. Yay time to stretch our fingers.

PC263458.jpg

PC263461.jpg

Then some more gravel roads to Fauresmith…Too stubborn to take my helmet off each time.

PC263465.jpg

In Fauresmith we took the compulsory picture at the train in the middle of the town.  Fauresmith is believed to be one of two towns (the other one in America) that have a railroad track right through the main street.

PC263467.jpg

From here it was off to Philipolis, Hoofseun had his first job here as a Teller in the old Barclays bank.  He showed us where he stayed in a small bachelor’s flat.  The rent used to be about R15.00 per month many many many moons ago! Baie oulike dorpie.

PC263468.jpg

It was so hot that one of the local kids found refuge in the refrigerator. He had the best idea because it was like 40 degrees outside!

PC263470.jpg

The GPS showed us along the shortest route to Gariep dam. Very scenic but had a lot of gates to be opened and closed.
PC263474.jpg

PC263473.jpg

It was fun playing follow the leader

PC263476.jpg

We arrived at Gariep dam and booked for four nights to take a well-deserved rest, not from the trip, but from the tough year just past.I had a blast these four days!

PC283477.jpg

The facilities were excellent and well maintained.

DAY 4, 5 AND 6 (27, 28 AND 29 DEC 09 – GARIEP DAM, NORVALSPONT AND BETHULIE)

We spend some leisure days at Gariep Dam, it was seriously hot and we got scorched, seriously scorched!
On the Monday we went site-seeing around Bethulie.  A while ago Lupo introduced Bethulie on the forum see https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=16789.0

Riding around town we were looking for a place to have breakfast, the place we selected said Ou Vellies as well as information.  We entered and were greeted by a bearded man, and made the assumption that this must be a biker and may just be Lupo, Hoofseun was spot on.

After a breakfast of Coffee, muffins and the nicest Milktart (made by Lupo himself) he impressed us with his knowledge of the history around the town.  Soon we were geared for a site seeing trip, Lupo on his own Left Hand Drive (LHD) motorcycle.

PC283500.jpg

Lupo’s bike that clearly indicates that it is Left Hand Drive (LHD).

The tour took us through town.  The first stop the local old church.  There are 17 different denominations in this “one horse” town, wow! And they all believe in the same thing, except doing it with different thinga-ma-jigs!

PC283503.jpg

Then to the old station with some controversy surrounding it.
DSCF6790.jpg

The old shooting range store room, with all its windows and zink roofs in tack for some unexplained reason.
DSCF6794.jpg

The local drag strip.
PC283517.jpg

And some miniature horses.
PC283518.jpg

But the real history lies in the concentration camp that was in the area.  This is also one of those sad stories.  The statistics indicated that there were around 116000 white people and 115000 black people in concentration camps around the country.  28000 people, mostly kids, women and the elderly died in these camps.  The original cemetery was moved to a new location after it was estimated that phase 2 of the Gariep dam will flood the cemetery area.

Pictures from the original cemetery area.  A monument that was built but never used as explained by Lupo.  This was built by the British but never accepted by the Boers.
PC283537.jpg

The grave coverings from the original grave covers!
PC283539.jpg

Some of the previous grave stones. Very sad that they all got broken up and moved.
PC283546.jpg

The Boers built their own monument in the area
PC283547.jpg

What is sad is that some “idiots” shot at this monument for target practice, a real shame!
The new cemetery looks much more “upmarket” with 1737 graves, formally opened on 10 October 1966.
PC283565.jpg

PC283564.jpg

PC283568.jpg

Some of the old headstones were also relocated.
PC283573.jpg

At the entrance to the town is a monument that recognises the contribution of the horse to the South African history, it is caged to protect it from being stolen or vandalised.
PC283521.jpg

If you get to this area, visit Lupo and ask him to take you on a very informative tour.  It is also a nice place for a one night stand should you stay in the Free State with kilometres of gravel roads in the area, not even to mention Gariep dam close by.

May we not forget the past!

After this insightful day it was off to the completion of the rest of the route around the Gariep dam.  It took us across the longest rail and road bridge in Southern Africa.
PC283591.jpg

Lupo told us to look out for the following.  About in the middle of the bridge the rails on the Free State side are painted silver and the Cape side white…
PC283590.jpg

While staying at the dam our Wild Dog Stickers led towards attracting other dogs such as Gee S and Chicco.  It was great to meet you guys.
PC303601.jpg

Then there was one more day of rest before taking the road to Nieu Bethesda.

DAY 7 (30 DEC 09 – GARIEP DAM TO NIEU BETHESDA)

And all too soon it was time to leave.  An old Verwoerd Dam sign said our fair wells on the Free State side.
PC303599.jpg

Some beautiful dirt roads were planned towards Steynsburg
PC303603.jpg

With some more gates
PC303607.jpg

Unfortunately some of the back roads had gates that were locked and we ended on the ugly black stuff.
PC303613.jpg

We had lunch in Steynsburg.  Austrian chef with divine breakfast.
PC303614.jpg

From here we took the black stuff to Middelburg.  This took us past the Fish Orange Tunnel system.  At Teebus is a big water vent and access point.  This tunnel was the longest of it sort when it was originally built.  About 83km in length starting at Oviston in the Gariep Dam.
PC303619.jpg

When parked close to the entrance you can hear the water flowing below(Don’t go here if you need the bathroom badly.)
At Middelburg we bought meat for supper at Nieu Bethesda.  Some nice dirt roads to Nieu Bethesda.
PC303627.jpg

PC303637.jpg

PC303646.jpg

At Nieu Bethesda we met up with Biker Smurf and Ou Hond.
PC303653.jpg

They were also so kind as to take a detour past George and buy a chain and sprocket set for my bike.
We visited the Owl House, what a piece of history.  Me greeting one of the locals, hee-hee
PC303656.jpg

PC303659.jpg

PC303669.jpg

This picture was up against the roof in the kitchen.
PC303674.jpg

I also proved that my “big” NXR 125 can lift as well as it can travel off-road.
PC303678.jpg

A little buggie on the way to the local brewery.  At least not as fast as my NXR125, hmmmm.  Myself and Puddles (my mom). awwww
PC303684.jpg

And Hoofseun (my Dad) pulling the buggie, get some speed!  He did it so fast we fell off
PC303686.jpg

DAY 8 (31 DEC 09 – NIEU BETHESDA TO STEYTLERVILLE)

Ou Hond packing for the final stretch to Steytlerville.
PC313690.jpg

Ou Hond on road to Graaf Reinette
PC313702.jpg

Puddles at a low water bridge taking a breather from the dust kicked up by my flying bike
PC313703.jpg

Leading the pack
PC313711.jpg

Arriving at Valley of Desolation outside Graaf Reinette.  Entry was efficiently handled by the officials.
PC313714.jpg

Parking for the walk to the view site.
PC313727.jpg

Biker Smurf taking a walk.
PC313732.jpg

Beautiful views, hmmmmm
DSCF6908.jpg

Racing Chic, Ou Hond, Biker Smurf, and Hoofseun.
DSCF6931.jpg

One of the rock formations looked like a hand and finger.
DSCF6944.jpg

PC313753.jpg

After brunch at the Wimpy at Graaf Reinette it was off to Jansenville

PC313761.jpg

At Janseville we had some warm coldrinks before leaving on the final stage to Steytlerville.
PC313771.jpg

PC313773.jpg

Hoofseun’s bike at Mount Stewart.  He says his bike is so stable on gravel it is like running on rails, maybe he was actually riding on the rails when he experienced this, hee-hee!
PC313778.jpg

Some beautiful rock formations close to Steytlerville
PC313788.jpg

Then we arrived at the Karoo Hotel
PC313798.jpg

Parked the bikes
PC313795.jpg

After cleaning up and a swim we were treated for a show by the local owners of the hotel.
Puddles, me and Derick
PC313800.jpg

Mother and Backseat Rider (hidden behind the hand)
PC313802.jpg

Biker Smurf, Ou Hond, JJ, Nelmarie and Rudie
PC313803.jpg

The show - Mark
PC313810.jpg

PC313818.jpg

The show took us to midnight, then off to bed and millions of mosquitos eating at us all night long.

So for the next day we have a few options:
a) Go to George area and do the passes.
b) Do Baviaanskloof.
c) Go to PE

What will it be??