Afk@k in Jericho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

Inglsman instigated this ride and then didnt pitch, I was hoping my warnings would scare of a few but this is ridiculous ;)

Anyways, 4 of us turned up at the Total by Haarties and headed out to Jericho on tar and dirt highway. Spyker, REDRIDER, digitaldan (travelbybike) and myself.

We filled up juice as RedRiders bike still had its offroad tank on and hit the riverbed.
The first 300m I stopped and realised I was alone. Everyone was finding thier sand legs.
RR and DD cruised up, but no Spyker.
RR went to go find him, and the both returned a while later.
See we all had knobblies on, all except for skyker that is.
It does help but to what extent I dont know, seeing as I did the Maputo-Ponto run with trailwings on and had no hassles.

DD is full flight down the riverbed.
DD.jpg

We rode on and stopped in the shade to regroup. No spyker. We heard him doing the welsh shortcut up on the banks and that was the last we saw of him. I hope his Zumo lead him home safely. We really should swap cell numbers so if someone decides not to follow the track that at least we keep in touch.

I missed a turn in the river and we hit a fence I have never seen before. This fence was after riding through the thickest sand I have taken the KLR in, it was hard work.
Shows you this area is varied and changes with the seasons. We rode back to a side path, took it and joined the smaller stream off the main river.
Once back here I got my bearings right and we rode the same small river that welshie has done about 3 times now with me.
Mistake number 2 was to think the river was the same as when we rode it a few months ago when it was dry.

This little climb out the riverbed was covered with a fallen tree and me and DD broke a sweat turning bikes around in the tight confines of this piece of riverbed.
IMG_0221-3.jpg

The third mistake was to think this puddle was not so deep.
How deep do you think it is?
This is the KLR after being pulled out by myself and the guys on the end of a short rope. It turned out to be waist deep, it was flat the last time I rode here. Also see the little dark spots, indicating shallow water . Eish/
DD will no doubt have a pic of the embarrased look on my face. ;)
deepisit.jpg

From here it was along the riverbed till the village by the rock. We missed the best parts while a bit lost, will have to return to show everyone the bits welshie, zonkel, wino and myself found last time.

At the village we had a beer at the tavern, a chat to the headman and then went and rode around the rock a bit.

This time we could really explore as it was a small competant group with some seriously capable bikes. And yes the KLR fits in that group ;)

At the top of the little rock in front of the main deal.
3ofthebest.jpg

RedRider surveys the area, we had fun trying all the approaches and paths on this smaller rock.
RRsurveys.jpg

Some paths were just crazy, down here was just totally absurd.
deadend.jpg

We rode up the rock on the easy approach, and took a look at the big climb.
I tried to take some shots that show the angle, hope this helps.
lookingdown.jpg

I walked down to where I was starting to slip, and took a side on shot to show the angle. This is the angle after you clear the lip and it starts flattening out.
sideon.jpg

We rode up and down the other climbs, a few times each. The medium accent, the last steep bit of the easy climb, up and down trying to get some feel. In other words rock training. In the end we decided to come back again to do it. We are a bunch of chicken shits. ;)

On the way back to the dam we had the usual puddles to negotiate
ddsplash.jpg

Tar to close to the dam, then a short burst along the canal to the damwall.

Thanks guys it was a good ride, Spyker I hope you are ok, please let us know asap. Sending search parties out on new years eve might be a logistical hassle!
Its best to stay with the group, or get to a stop and tell the people you are riding another route.

And to close the sexiest enduro team out there, sorry it snuck in from yesterdays ride at De Wildt. btw, this area we rode I refer to as De Wildt Extention 5. ;)
The little green beastie and its carrier.
enduroteam.jpg