Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Which farkles???  (Read 361 times)

Offline Woestersous

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 1150 GS "Helga" CR250R "Piglet"
Which farkles???
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:34:05 am »
Bought a 2003 CR250R last November, suspension, bashplate and ergonomics have been sorted.  I want to change a few things and would like some opinions, the following seems/might be necessary:

Pipe protection, would have to be a cage, Hyde does not make a bashplate/exhaust guard for a cr250.
Radiator protection.
Long range tank, oem 8litre might be to small for some rides.
Weighted flywheel? Pro's and cons???
Boil over bottle?
Disc protection, still have the oem plastic guards.
I'm not fussed by tube tyres.

Pooratech solutions to the above will be cool.

Offline Marnus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Yeeeeehaaaa!
Re: Which farkles???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:40:39 am »
Bought a 2003 CR250R last November, suspension, bashplate and ergonomics have been sorted.  I want to change a few things and would like some opinions, the following seems/might be necessary:

Pipe protection, would have to be a cage, Hyde does not make a bashplate/exhaust guard for a cr250.
Radiator protection.
Long range tank, oem 8litre might be to small for some rides.
Weighted flywheel? Pro's and cons???
Boil over bottle?
Disc protection, still have the oem plastic guards.
I'm not fussed by tube tyres.

Pooratech solutions to the above will be cool.

Hmmm... I guess it will depend on what type of riding (and where) you want to do with it.  I have a Yamie YZ450 which is a purpose-built motocross bike and I've done a lot of enduro/off-road type riding with it, without any mods or extras.  (being a 2003 model, I spend the money rather on keeping her running!).  At any rate, if you really want to convert an MX bike to a true enduro bike, you would consider the weighted flywheel and other gearbox with shorter ratios.

You can always strap some spare fuel on the back if you think you will need it.  A number of people recommended to me that I fit an additional coolant reservoir under the seat and hook it up to the radiator for more coolant and better circulation.  If you are looking at roughing it in the bush, I would certainly recommend that you look at the header pipe cage and at least disk guards (no sure how good protection the CRF's bash plate would give).

In the end if the bike keeps on moving, and you are enjoying it, that's all you need  :thumleft:

Offline Woestersous

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 1150 GS "Helga" CR250R "Piglet"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:35:58 pm »
Thanks for the input Marnus :thumleft:  The area where I stay is quite rocky, protection is quite high on the list, the rest will eventually follow or if the bug bites I'll get a purpose built bike.

Thought there would have been more input from the enduro gods on the forum by now, but alas, it's not a bmw vs ktm question I asked >:D :peepwall:

Offline Marnus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Yeeeeehaaaa!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:14 pm »
You should also have a look on www.e-dirt.co.za.  All they do is MX and Enduro - you are bound to get good advice and 100's of opinions there.

Yep, 'em rocks are pesky!  Good practice but hard on the bike.