Rider impressions - GS800

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
I am in the market for a new bike. Why? Well, there's nothing wrong with the trusty TransAlp I've got, but it's almost 2 years old now and has just over 25 000km on the clock. Because I bought at the right time (before the substantial price increase) and got a discount on the bike back then, I am in the unique position to be able to sell the bike after 2 years for not much less than I bought it for.

And so the search for a new bike begins all over again. My criteria in order of priority:

- Reliability
- Comfort
- 2-up touring
- moderate DS ability (be able to do Baviaans etc with pillion)
- As always: Price. What do I get for how much moola?
- Speed above 150km/h is not important, but more torque is always welcome as I am of the larger variety
rolleyes.gif

My shortlist ended up with 3 bikes:

1. A new TransAlp 700.
2. Yamaha Tenere 660
3. BMW 800GS

Three vastly different bikes with different focuses and strong points.

The Transalp remains a contender because it fits all the criteria. I already know what it can do and I really love the Transalp I currently have. Also, I already have all the farkles for a TransAlp.

The Tenere might not fit the bill as far as the pillioning is concerned but it's just such a cool bike that I want to give it a chance.

The BMW GS also fits all the criteria. I have briefly ridden one a while back and considered buying one then.

And so the research begins. The Transalp and it's abilities I know well, so all thats needed is a quote for a new one. The TransAlp weighs in at a list price of R85 000 (and I can get a discount). The cheapest of the lot. And I can have a black one
mwink.gif
I've had my eyes on a black TransAlp sice the 650 days.

The Tenere weighs in at R90 000. I want the white with the red blocks (my RZ50 looked like that
cool.gif
) and that can be arranged, BUT George Yamaha tells me that the recent shipment of Teneres that landed on our shores are all sold already. I can go on the waiting list for the bikes landing in February, but that will mean that I will have to buy a bike I have not even ridden on and that might not fit all my criteria (pillion). Sadly that drops it off my list.
undecided.gif

Lastly the GS800. I visit Lynn Schroeder BMW in George where I get friendly service from Donovan. He organizes for a Demo ride on Saturday morning and so this Ride Report begins.

My steed for the hour:

P1160002.jpg

The demo is yellow but the 800 on the floor is a lovely white one.

First impressions: Predictably the building quality is very good. If I switch from the TransAlp to this bike I will not be worse off as far as that is concerned. Surprisingly the seat is not as soft and comfy as my TA, but it's not a plank either.
cheesy.gif
Sitting on the bike it looks and feels small. There is not much bike in front of you. I also find it weird that I cannot see the front wheel.

My route for this test ride will be over Outeniqua Pass and back over the mountain via the gravel Montagu Pass.

I filter through the traffic till I hit the open road towards Outeniqua Pass. It feels totally different than the TransAlp. You sit "on" the bike while you sit deeper "in" the TransAlp. Also the oil reservoir on the handles is mounted on rubber and it keeps vibrating and moving about. It keeps drawing your eye and is somewhat irritating.

I decide to open her up a bit and WHOAAAA!!!!!! Sheeez!!!! The bike instantly comes alive! It has instant punch as I run through the revs and gear up. WHOAAAA!!!!! 3rd. 4th. 5th. This bike is waaaaaaaay faster than the Transalp.
cool.gif
Slow down boy!
biggrin.gif

First stop on the pass - view of the cockpit:

P1160006.jpg

The dash is informative with all the necessary info. Very nice. The bike doesn't look half bad either.

P1160007.jpg

P1160009.jpg

P1160014.jpg

I hit the road again. WHOAAAA!!!!!! 1st. 2nd. 3rd. 4th. 5th. 6th! This bike is fast and you "feel" the speed. But more than the speed, the acceleration is addictive. I can't see someone riding slowly on this bike.
icon_mrgreen.gif

P1160016.jpg

I ride along and decide to slow down. A quick look at the speedo indicates 140km/h. Funnily 140km/h feels faster on the GS than on the TA. On the TA this would feel like cruising, on the GS your hair is on fire and you feel like punching the throttle again. Whohaaaaa!!!!! 4th. 5th. 6th!!!
biggrin.gif

I start feeling the seat. I am not used to it and it's definately harder. I stand up (BMW riders does that
icon_mrgreen.gif
) and I lean forward looking over the console. I still cannot see the front wheel. Wierd
icon_mrgreen.gif
I like the digital speedo of the TA better than the traditional speedo of the GS but I really like the fact that you can see which gear you're in. The TA doesn't have that. Also the 6th gear is VERY welcome. I don't know why the TA only has five gears?

I overtake a car and WHOAAAAA!!!!!! 4th. 5th. 6th! Did I mention the acceleration is addictive?
biggrin.gif
The Scorpion tyres stick and the bike really feels planted. And it corners like it's on rails
mwink.gif
The adrenalin is flowing.
cool.gif

In Herold I stop and switch the ABS off. Gravel time
mwink.gif

P1160017.jpg

I didn't fiddle with the suspension and don't know what the tyre pressure was, but the bike feels "harder" on gravel. You feel every bump and corrugation where the TA would have just floated over. Maybe it's in the setup but the TA feels more comfortable. On the flipside you really "ride" this bike on gravel - constant rider input.

P1160023.jpg

I prefer riding with knobblies and would probably never have road tyres like these on my bike, but the handling on gravel even with these tyres is not bad at all. The throttle response is instant. Almost too instant. I get caught by surprise as the bike jumps if you ride over a hole and accidentally twist the throttle somewhat. It's something you can get used to though.

Every time you speed up the bike pulls like a train! You just want to go faster and faster.
biggrin.gif
I can see why people who own and ride these bike LOVE them. This seriously is a good bike.

P1160031.jpg

Comparing the GS to the Transalp is like chalk and cheese. These are different bikes with different temperaments and different strong points aimed at different types of riders. Some like blondes, others like brunets. The 800 is definately the blonde. Don't "diss" this bike before you have ridden it.

Trying to compare a Transalp and a GS is like comparing black and white
evil610.gif

TA.jpg

big_BMWF800GSAlpineWhite.jpg

The White GS on the floor is marked R 111 990. Extras would include crash bars, hand guards, a taller Kappa screen and bash plate at least. I am quoted an extra R8000 for those which puts this bike at R120 000 and I'll still need pannier and topbox brackets. That's +/- 50% more expensive than a TransAlp.
shocked.gif

So the GS is VERY addictive but VERY expensive. This is going to be a tough choice.