Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My final adventure ride. Huab in desolation  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Grootseun

My final adventure ride. Huab in desolation
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 02:40:20 pm »
Great report Zonk, you are afraid of animals and the like, yet you venture into the desert on your ace.... :D

I echo what the others said...balance and compromise...a family comes with a set of responsibilities, unfortunately they have to be adhered to, no getting around it.

think of it from the wife's perpective...you would not want to raise 2 kids on your own...at least she considers your point of view by compromising on the riding sessions...

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 02:48:14 pm »
Zonk... the collective has spoken. Theres safety in the multitude of counsellors - thats what the big book says.

:wink:

Apart from that, what u gonna do now?

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 05:34:36 pm »
This is a pic of Willie. He and a friend did the Kaokoveld. Weeks before, he phoned me asking about food, petrol and water on the trip they are planning. VERY nice guy and VERY friendly. He is also on the forum and said he will put some report together. Well, it was a huge fluke that I met him here.
Actually an interesting story. After returning from the Skeleton Coast reserve (they turned me back after doing 120km to get there, Nam do not allow bikes in their parks, I did not know this) I had a 2nd near death experience when a springbok run in front of me and I nearly got killed. He turned out of my path (me doing 130km after being very angry with turning around) and run next to me for a few 100meters. He was so close, if I put out my hand, I could touch him. I was so shocked and scared and frozen, I could not believe what was happening. The springbok then turned away from me and bailed into the veld.
After this, I stopped at the first kooka shop and bought 2 bottles of beer and took a long pull on a los-drol. Just as I was calming me nerves, I saw a BMW 1150GSA pulling up. I decided to meet the oak on the bike and as he took his helmet of, his first words were ?Is jy Dewald?? I could not believe it. Here in nowhere, someone (white) calls me on my name. It was Willie. Could not believe the coincidence. Amazing. We had a lekke chat and while I was enjoying his musical skills (on a guitar that did not function so well, a local guys guitar) and a beer and los-drol, he had a coke? A coke? Well, I told you he was a good oak. Unfortunately he was alone. His buddy bailed out on him. Isch, bad. Well, you know ya pals with a trip like that.

SpitzKoppe between Hentiesbaai and Usakos.

Drove through to Mariantal where I had the best beers. This was the 24th (Sunday) and everything was closed except the "Public Bar" They played african music and was packed with locals. After my first Zamalec, I walked out pissed for the locals decided they each have to buy this whitie a beer. That was the end of me and retired to my tent.

The next dy I rode thru the border in search of 'Orania'. I must say, this was the most difficult part of my trip for I could not find the bloody boere colony. And nobody knew where it was either. They pointed me in directions and every time I ended up far from the boere. After 1400km I retired at Douglas in the Cape. There they told me that Orania is another 100km in the direction of Hoopstad? Well, that was that and I camped on the Orange River between some serious caravan big belly blokes (with some not so ugly daughters.  :lol: But I was tired (bloody boere) and went to bed after having my 2nd tin of bully beef in 6 days. Very njammies.

After this I drove rode to Dealesville. Slept at my uncle's but before that I rode in one of the biggest rain storms to Soutpan. Stupid I know. Slipping and sliding on the Freestate dirt. Water was pouring out of my bla-bla clothes (Richa). But not because it is not rain protected, I did not take the inners with. P.S. Richa got the best clothes according to me. In 45 degrees+ they keep you cool and get dry very quick after rain. Thanks Bla-Bla.
this is a pic of a rain cloud in the distance.

Soutpan booze shop and some donkey meat. This is next to Florisbad. Florisbad is where they discovered your ancestral monkey origins. No, not mine. I am 100% pure human.  :)

Entrance to Florisbad. When we were children, we use to visit my uncle on his farm. Like every December holiday. Then we would go to this warm water swimming pools. Hot springs. Now, as you can see, there is nothing left after the archeologist took over. Pity thou.

The next day I went to meet up with the wife and kids at a place close to Stofberg in the Eastern Transvaal. This is my best bud called Leo. We are friend since we were 10 or so. He is a mean 'police ex-taskforce? oak. But as usual, with the softest heart. Since school, he has not missed 1 Comrades marathon. Still got his six-pack. Nice guy.

O. This. After riding 6000km without injury, near death experiences, but no accidents, this wall!!! :evil:
The power (lights) went out and with lots and lots of clouds and rain, I came walking late during the one night and did not see that there was a wall and I was supposed to stop. I just kept on walking and ... poof. I fell my gat of. Having experience in parachute jumping, arch-ing did not help much. I fell my knee stukkend. I am still battling with a knee that walks the other way than I want to go to. I might have to visit the doctor. But what do I tell him? "No doc, while I was walking, the ground disappeared". Duh! What was the words Wino used once, something like this, "there is no ... for stupidity."

Then, new years evening and morning. We slept at people we know in Dullstroom. Don't ask. It is all cool drink. Coke and sprite :lol:
Rudie (the manager of Pickles and Things restaurant), Kiara (my business partner?s (Tanya) baby, my wife Irna and, now who is that guy again ... O, its me. :lol:

Tanya and Rudie

Left, Thomas, The owner of the restaurant. What a nice guy. If ever in Dullstroom, its the restaurant on the left across The Old Transvaal Inn (use to be his). They have the best trout and other food in Dullstroom. The place is always packed.

My wife and Kiara. NO, it is not my out-of-wedlock child.

Me, Tanya and Nico (Tanya?s Husband).

OK. That is it. Thanks for reading. Irna and I did come to an arrangement. It is good and we are both happy. I will only do one adventure per year and December is the families. Once a month a day trip with you oaks. So, please, let me know of any trips. Also, if there is a longer trip where my fam can join (with a car), let me know. This is also OK.
So, You have not seen the last of me!! See you soon   :P  :P  :P  :P  :twisted:  :P  :P  :P  :P
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »
Quote from: "Lito"

Apart from that, what u gonna do now?

Keep on being your girlfriends hero  :twisted:  and giving you respect and ... om jou gat 'n bietjie te krap  :wink:

Ya still my hero  :P
100001 110010 1101010

Kev

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 06:13:42 pm »
Yay! Glad you got things sorted out Zonks! :thumbleft: Nice ending to your report...

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 06:27:47 pm »
Awesome stuff Zonkel.

Oh yeah WELCOME BACK TO THE WILD SIDE!!!!
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2007, 06:30:17 pm »
Geluk Zonkel
Bly jy het so hard daaraan gewerk SUKSES PROE LEKKER

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2007, 06:31:27 pm »
Quote from: "Kev"
Yay! Glad you got things sorted out Zonks! :thumbleft: Nice ending to your report...

+1

All good stories have a happy ending  :)  :)

Kev

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2007, 06:33:38 pm »
Quote from: "Mark Hardy"

All good stories have a happy ending  :)  :)

You have been watching too many Hollywood endings!  :lol:

Offline Ned_da_biker

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2007, 08:59:21 pm »
NAM!!! Man maar dit bly mooi! :P
Baie Baie Baie nice report! Ek dink dis weer tyd vir Nam....
Bly jy het vir Willie raak ge-toer! :lol:
ome mistakes are too much fun to only make once. :-)

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2007, 10:40:56 pm »
Awesome Zonk!

en baie geluk met julle ooreenkoms. Jy's bleddie lucky! Een 2 weke trip per jaar? My vrou beskyt haarself as ek met so iets opkom :shock: Die Bav trip het my big-time gekos, wil nie weet wat 2 weke gaan kos nie.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2007, 07:45:29 am »
excellent, excellent, excellent!! and things turned out nicely in the end.

the quote you were looking for (?): never underestimate the predictability of stupidity - snatch

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2007, 08:11:33 am »
Quote from: "wino"
excellent, excellent, excellent!! and things turned out nicely in the end.

the quote you were looking for (?): never underestimate the predictability of stupidity - snatch

Thats the line. Thanks Wino. Wino, I will take that handle bars. Please just PM me with the rpice please.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Butch

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2007, 08:14:08 am »
Stunning report, Zonk. Dit lyk na vet pret.

Bly jy kon dinge uitsort.
Live and let live.

Offline Stephan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2007, 09:07:36 am »
Zonk, enjoyed your report.  Lots of memories in Nam.  Glad you could work it out.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2007, 03:12:01 pm »
So Zonk.

Are you going to change your website from VoĆ?Ā«lvry to VoĆ?Ā«lvas? :twisted:  :wink:

Glad it worked out. Much better than what was first on the table. :shock:

And we would see more of you, which is not nescesarily a bad thing. :wink:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Re: My final adventure ride. Huab in desolation
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »
Oh no! Zonk where did all you pics go?