Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Monday morning quickie  (Read 953 times)

Offline wiledog_X

Monday morning quickie
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:30 pm »
me, my boet-in-law and my buddie were still on leave, Monday 4th Jan 2010. so we decided to do a quick little scenic ride out Boschkop way. my bud has a KLR and XR400 - he rode the KLR, my brother in law the XR... and me on my Yamaha XTZ125!!

we had great fun, did about 65km: rough stuff, steep stony singletrack, wet slippery stones, mud, hard pot-hole gravel... i was so impressed with my Yammie! it easily went wherever the bigger bikes went without hesitation. i'm proud of my little XTZ - it's the first time i've actually gone really off-road with it and i really enjoyed it.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:31:33 pm by wiledog_X »
"all your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Monday morning quickie
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:24:23 pm »
If you mean Boschkop east of Pretoria, I ride there often. Nice tracks. Even better is Zwavelpoort, tierpoort.

Also try going north of cullinan into KwaNdebele.

Since Im on a 1200 without knobbies, I am a biut wary where AI go due to alll the rain.

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:34:19 pm »
hey you're right. we actually went around Tierpoort area, my mistake! there was a drizzle that day and the trails were quite slippery, but we all came through okay.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:36:07 pm by wiledog_X »

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:38:49 pm »
hey you're right. we actually went around Tierpoort area, my mistake! there was a drizzle that day and the trails were quite slippery.

check here broer:

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:43:48 pm »

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:47:39 pm »
ja that looks familiar... we didn't catch heavy rain though! when were you out riding there?

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:46 pm »
I go regularly. Its close to my house. Like I can go at 0500 and be back by 0615, or go after work at 1800 and be back by 1900.

Its the quickest place to go to get solitude and off road.

I ride alone.  I like to ride regularly in such places to clear the head.

If you see me give a wave, stop and chat. If I have a backpack with we can share what is inside: dry wors, cool drink, biltong etc.

I have a few more pics taken by the dam. Take Olympus road, then achilles way and keep going. its bumpy and rocky but very pretty. The dam is a nice place to stop and have coffee. I carry my own to avoid shops and haveing to see people.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:10:31 pm by HVDM »

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »
thanks for the advice HVDM, we'll definitely check it out sometime! it is nice to ride out there on your own. enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:10:23 pm by wiledog_X »

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:50 pm »
thanks for the advice HVDM, we'll definitely check it out sometime! it is nice to ride out there on your own. enjoy!

There is a nice ride you can do from lynnwood rd zwavelpoort turnoff, past achilles way, next left. then keep heading right over the ridge. Eventually you come out on Garsfontein rd. Nice weekday ride.

No people. and only a few new south africans to be seen. They will even wave. You have a proper dirt bike so it will be a breeze for you. Try a few offshoot roads. some end with signs saying private road... But hey, I like to get off the beaten track, even on a 1200.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:17:55 pm by HVDM »

Offline MoJo JoJo

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 07:16:05 am »
on my doorstep, used to take my xr500 through it's paces past the vinyard, still need to take te gs
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:39 pm »
thanks for the info guys... will definitely give it a look. hopefully we meet along the way somewhere!

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 12:35:30 pm »
thanks for the info guys... will definitely give it a look. hopefully we meet along the way somewhere!

we can always make a plan to meet one weekend and have lunch by the dam or something. We can PM cell numbers and times

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:56:36 pm »
More pics for you okes I took at sunset yesterday:

If one of you doesnt wave I will chuck a rock at your visor. Wiledog I know what you bike looks like, so wave or you are a marked man... :biggrin:

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:46:21 pm »
hey HVDM, don't worry, i won't just pass by without greeting - would be cool to see you out there!

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:51 am »
Damn woke just before 5 this morning to go for a ride out there. Looked at the weather and saw I wouldnt see any sunrise, and would be better of in a canoe, and went back to bed.

Yesterday evening my ride also cut of by rain and very high winds with drizzle. Riding on Hans Strydom thought I was going to be blown away, or end up as a sticker on the side of a taxi, if I dont keep pushing the bike up and down.

Said to hell if it, decided to stop for a beer on Lynnwood Rd and after waiting so long for a beer I said to hell with that as well and went home.

Im so tired of this weather. Of well guess I must empty the pool again

Offline madmike999

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:07 am »
sounds like some lekker routes !

i hang around the bon accod to cullinan loskop dam area, depending on how much time i have ;D

maybe we should swop some
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 10:17:39 am »
sounds like some lekker routes !

i hang around the bon accod to cullinan loskop dam area, depending on how much time i have ;D

maybe we should swop some

I tried some of those heading north from cullinan in to KwaNdebele, while all the social set turn in to cullinan for breakfast  :D. But its too far for a weekday ride. The roads are generally much wider than the Zwavelpoort area, but you get into Bushveld. Dont know it well though. This look familiar? Its taken in that area. Bt I coould use some advice on routes. My weekends are limited to every second one due to kids.