Leo does the Wakkerstroom Shuffle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Picture a scene straight from the latest Steven Spielberg horror movie. Wakkerstroom was choking in fog so dense; nothing and nobody dared it outside. It was early evening, around 7:00 pm, the sun should still be shining, but it’s was pitch dark as a result of low clouds and rain. The evening air was filled with dense fog rolling in from the side, blurring any possibility of visibility beyond 20 metres. We were forced to ride with open visors with the fog condensing on your face and dripping from the tip of your nose. The silence was deafening. Where was everybody? There suburban little dorpies are normally a hive of activities on a Saturday night, but not tonight. The only sound I became aware of was Honey’s even purr below me and a slightly irritating hum coming from the Heidi up front. Lamp posts and other artificial light sources were bullied into submission – a light so dim, a candle in comparison looked like a spotlight! I had to rely purely on my GPS for directions – how it managed to communicate with the satellites in that weather was nothing short of a miracle. I was instructed to turn left but at that point I was on a bridge over what appeared to be a dam but there was no sign of any roads nearby. I stopped and noticed the little candle behind me that resembled Bazil’s bike had magically disappeared. I turned around and rode back to the last point where he was still behind me. Nothing. The other 4 bikes had disappeared magically into thin air – well thick fog in this case. I rode around town for ± 10 minutes, but could see absolutely nothing nor hear a thing so I decided to head straight for the “Old Station” – the spot where we were going to camp for the night. Suddenly I was faced by a wetland and without any floatation devices Honey and I was not going to go anywhere. I bumped into a hand drawn map showing a lay-out of the area and eventually made my way to the Old Station, but not before getting lost once or twice more and bumping into the rest of our party approaching me from the other side. We were closing in on the Old Station from completely different directions, go figure! It was a Saturday night. We have spent most of the day riding in Paradize.

The team

Wakker4.jpg

Early morning on the way to Memel

Wakker.jpg

My day started at 3am. My CCOC is currently in Paris and had spent the whole night sipping wine under the Eiffel tower and decided to text me and tell me about the French farkers who were spading her! Needles to say with the excitement of the forthcoming trip there was no way I was going to sleep. The fashion channel had already passed their lingerie show, so I was forced to watch the last hour of Poena is Koning. At 4:15 I decided enough was enough and started packing. I pulled into the Shell Ultra City at 5 to 5 and to my surprise I was the first one there. Basil arrived shortly afterwards, and when I phoned Antonie at 5:15 his phone just rang, so he was late but at least he was on his way. My phone rang moments later - a very bewildered Antonie was on the other end of the line. Being single and courting a girl till 2am takes it toll on a 44 yo and he didn’t even hear the alarm.

Basil enjoying the early morning air

Wakker35.jpg

Outside Standerton and a sign of things to come

Wakker36.jpg

We agreed that Basil and I would hit the road gently while he would follow in hot pursuit. The area had a promise of rain, and we were following a massive rain cloud. Two longish stops to kill some time as we didn’t want to arrive at Krappies house at 7am saw us stopping in the rain at his house in Volksrus at around 8am. Moments later Antonie pulled in and we were ready to hit the road, but first Krappies and his wife had to spoil us to the mother of all breakfasts. Fit for a King I might add.

At 9 am we were well and truly dik and on our way. Rain had fallen throughout the night so we were somewhat reluctant to take the gravel roads, but as that was the sole purpose of our visit, nobody was willing to suggest we abandon ship, group pressure prevailed and we all hit the dirt roads.

Group photo

Wakker38.jpg

Slipping and sliding towards Memel we made our way without any spills or trouble and soon sat down in the Memel Hotel to take a cold one to calm the nerves. I have to add that I was on a brand new set of Heidi’s so I was having a ball. Poor Honey was on the verge of being sodomized in da exhaust by my horny friends as she was one sexy bird with her new shoes.  Kudu’s to my mates for riding in da mud on their slick Anakees!

Memel hotel

Wakker39.jpg

The whole area was painted green ………beautiful time of year

Wakker55.jpg

I have taken the GS Challenge 04 red route and with a slight alteration loaded it on my GPS as the route for the day. From Memel hotel we headed for Normandien pass.  As we started rising towards the top of the pass the conditions became more rocky and the going slightly easier.

A view of Normandien pass

Wakker47.jpg

Honey checking out the scenery

Wakker45.jpg

For some reason I smaak this photo

Wakker44.jpg

……… and this one

Wakker3.jpg

Excalibur followed by Antonie on Normandien

Wakker42.jpg

Krappies putting the GSA through it’s paces

Wakker41.jpg

Excalibur going down a steep section - yea OK I know the camera flattens things

Wakker48.jpg

We were rewarded with the most beautiful of sceneries nature had to offer and we spend a splendid morning savouring every moment and trying to take as many pictures and video clips as possible.

When last did you ride on grass roads?

Wakker57.jpg

Game

Wakker54.jpg

Wakker56.jpg

After Normandien we rode over Muller’s pass towards Verkykerskop where we had to stop at the only local watering hole. Whitney had no idea how to pour them cold ones so we politely helped ourselves while she just operated the calculator. Things got slightly out of hand, but nobody was complaining.

Ain’t she purdy?

Wakker58.jpg

Amajuba was next on our list so we headed there with an ever so slight urge to race. Amazing how one suddenly felt unstoppable by just taking off that bit of an edge by adding racing juice. …what’s that about dutch courage I hear you say?

Verkykerkop watering hole

Wakker6.jpg

Stunning road over Amajuba

Wakker59.jpg

Our ride was interrupted by Krappies’ GSA which decided the battery was kaput. Fortunately Excalibur had some jumpers courtesy of Beemer man, so at every following stop we jumped da red one into life and continues on our merry route.

All this stopping and jump startings and dopping took its toll on our travelling time and by late afternoon we stopped at Krappies house to collect our kit before we headed for Wakkerstroom for the night. Of course packing comes with several cold ones, so when we finally hit the road, it was well after 6. We proceeded to Wakkerstroom amidst plenty urges to race, but fortunately sanity prevailed and we rode there at a gentle pace. Not far out of Volksrus we ran into the dense fog as described above.

Zaaihoek dam from afar

Wakker29.jpg

Dam wall

Wakker25.jpg

After we finally met up at the pub at the Old Station, we determined that we had split ourselves into four different groups, but somehow we all managed to get back together again. Not long after we had our tents, etc erected, the rain stopped and we started fire, talked k@k very fluently and parties well into the night. The local pub was frequented by several farmers who insisted we join them for a drink, but as far as I can recall we never joined them.

Our campsite at Old Station

Wakker61.jpg

Some idea of how dense the fog was

Wakker60.jpg

One happy rider

Wakker9.jpg

..how else when you ride in Paradize

Wakker8.jpg

Sunday morning we rose to a low cloud cover, but no fog and for the first time we could orientate ourselves as to where we were and what the surrounding area looked like. Stunning scenery met us. Bird watchers paradise, with several hides erected by Sasol for this unique specie who call themselves birders.

Wakkerstroom Sunday morning

Wakker14.jpg

Note the two broken chairs

Wakker15.jpg

From Wakkerstroom we headed towards Utrecht, but our mission was actually to ride around the Zaaihoek dam. Actually not that difficult, ….just turn right on every major gravel road – going clockwise and after ±43 km’s you’ll be back in Wakkerstroom having ridden one of the most scenic routes SA have to offer.  I suppose in winter it will be less attractive, but now at the height of the rainy season the area was covered in a lush green grass cover.

Awesome

Wakker2.jpg

Jump starting da red one (I’m sure HentieBM will sort him soon!)

Wakker7.jpg

Keeping out of da wet stuff

Wakker18.jpg

Back in Volksrus we said our good byes and headed home. Excalibur was off to Ermelo, while Basil, Antonie and I hit some dirt sections towards Standerton.
This was without doubt one of the better riding weekends I had in a long time and I contribute it to a few things. Awesome riding mates, who are fluent at talking kark, a sweet ride with some sweet new shoes – those Heidi’s are amazing, despite all the negative publicity and last but not least some of the most scenic natural beauty mother nature has to offer.

Beautiful flowers

Wakker34.jpg

Outside Standerton

Wakker31.jpg

….and more

Wakker10.jpg

This area saw lotsa rain – rivers was in flood

Wakker11.jpg

Thanks to all who joined, to those that chickened out, sorry man.

…………. and no, no problems with the Heideneau’s. No deflation of the front, delaminating or whatever other problems some okes have. And trust me on some of those sections I bliksemed those tyres with all Honey and I could throw at it.
Yes it was cool, actually overcast all the time, maar daai tyres het gek@k, but no problems.

Howsyourmuffertyres

Wakker32.jpg

Kudu’s to the importers. I will save them for my Angola trip in June, and as far as I can tell all my mates will opt for da same shoes. Harold bring in those 150’s please – Runner please stock them!

Photo’s courtesy of Leo and Antonie

Ma se seun en pa se trots  :thumleft:

Wakker12.jpg