Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lamborghini tractors, great roads, getting a TA stranded  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Pete Rock

• Puppy
Lamborghini tractors, great roads, getting a TA stranded
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:36:31 pm »
This is one of the ride reports I posted on my more "full time" forum, MaximumBikes / DualSport Europe, MdDuff must have liked it, so here is a copy and paste job.

Well, I had a hard Friday, and ended the week with a bit of stress, so I longed for a bit of time for my own, it was a good day for a ride to the mountains, a bit cold, but blue skies.

I left home at about 11:20 (not really an early departure) and realized my phone was dead, so before having breakfast I left it charging, this will have a more important part on the story than I anticipated

Leaving towards my usual Saturday roads took me along the motorway and fast roads, leading to Vale de Cambra, from then on the road showed clear signs of ice and frost. I wasn├?┬┤t chilly though , cause of my warm inner pants.

The sun was shining through the tree tops, making for a beautiful day and ride

A few kilometers after, something alerted me as to the slippery conditions of the tarmac

You could really feel the difference from a sunny corner to a shadow corner, not really a surprize since the shadow areas still had ice on them

You can see a few patches of frost or ice on these next pictures, right on the shadow part of the tarmac

The road kept going and I was enjoying it, even if riding slowly, by this time I was considering how slow a rider I am, I think a lot of people would ride faster than me on this same bike, not that it bothers me, I ride how I like and like riding how I do, also it makes me feel safe and lets me enjoy scenery like this.

There├?┬┤s a bridge on the previous picture, I left the main road right after it, and followed a single track road running alongside it

This is the view from the small road

This small road lasted for only a couple of kms, then it crossed the small village of Preguinho (small nail).

I saw a nice piece of Italian machinery under on of the sheds, a Lamborghini tractor, I saw a Porsche one once, I think they├?┬┤re valuable but didn├?┬┤t take a picture of it.

I don├?┬┤t know why but this seemed really cool to me, because of the basketball hoop and Galp sign so as I was taking the picture the little puppy came out to play

Turning back after the village I was joining the main road on the same single track road:

Just cruisin along ...

Until I stopped to look at a burned area, this wasn├?┬┤t the worst, since there are still remains of trees, but still, it makes me angry when we hear most of our fires are criminaly started.

--- to continue in a minute ---[/list]

Offline Pete Rock

• Puppy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 01:42:40 pm »
Returning to the road I notice there├?┬┤s now less frost on the road, it now feels safer, and I take another break a few kms later to show you guys this stop by a river, I usually don├?┬┤t stop except for food, water, or gas, I have to be on a pretty good mood to make this reports.

Rode another few kms to stop for lunch and gas, I had a quick snack, this is the parked bike as I return from lunch.

I wanted to go to the mountains and take some more pictures as well as maybe ride a trail or two, nothing too hard, so I rode a few kms back where I came from to join the road that climbs the mountains, on the way back I crossed the bridge over the river I showed earlier and took another couple of pictures, from both sides of the bridge.

Even though I don├?┬┤t know much about the Pikes Peak race, the road that climbs this small mountain always makes me dream about it, it├?┬┤s a tarmac road, but it├?┬┤s a very poorly maintained one, lots of gaps on the tarmac, lots of potholes, loose stones, gravel on corners, along with some good views as you reach switchbacks and are faced with the open space, I like it a lot.

Last winter it had a lot more gravel on corners, making it easy to slide the rear a bit on the exit, I only did it close to the tarmac as I wasn├?┬┤t too shure I├?┬┤ld be able to catch a big slide, it was sort of safe fun, it├?┬┤s always fun when you imagine you├?┬┤re on something like the Pikes Peak or the Dakar when on some smooth dirt road. Once on the top I decided to head for the Portal do Inferno, on the way there I came accross what used to be a green mountainside, it was green last winter, but not since last August, I saw it burned for the first time after I returned from vacations and smoke was still coming from under the dirt, a really sad show it was.

Offline Pete Rock

• Puppy
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 01:49:50 pm »
Now this is where it all went sour, as I stopped to take this picture of the entrance of the trail I was going to ride, the right one, climbing away from the road after that couple of trees.

Right now I wish I had taken that trail, but as I was about to do it I saw a small wooden sign pointing to something along another trail starting on the other side of the road, so I took that one instead, it was composed of big loose rocks but wasn├?┬┤t hard, wide enough for a 4wd and flat, no problem.

Eventually I found out what the sign was pointing to:

As I was taking the picture I thought it was a grave, from the names written on the cross, but the next day a fireman told me they found a man's dead body burried there. About 100 meters after this picture the trail started descending, I decided to keep going until a wider part appeared but 40 meter after it just got steeper, I realized that I couldn├?┬┤t climb back up if I went farther, so I stopped the bike and went to check for it on foot, I walked about 100 meters and found out it ended on a stream without an exit. So I had a bit of water (it felt nice), walked back to the bike, and decided to go back, by now unsure of my ability to ride back. Decided to do an U turn but as the front wheel was midway through it started slipping a bit over to the bottom. I stopped and the bike was pointing straight to the middle of the track, it was so steep I couldn├?┬┤t reach the floor with my right foot, pushed it a bit back and tried to turn left and climb back up, but this time I lost the rear wheel as a big rock it was over rolled down, the tyres couldn├?┬┤t find grip as the rocks started to crumble down.
OK, now it was getting serious, as the wheels started sliding the bike tumbled to the left, so, slowly I brought it back up, put it on the side stand and took a deep breath and a pic:

Started the engine back up, and tried going up the trail to no good, the rear tyre just dug a hole and was stuck, I didn├?┬┤t want to let it fall backwards cause I was afraid I couldn├?┬┤t stop it from fallin, so tried moving it forward, and I think I may have abused the clutch more than I should. I managed to move about half a meter upwards, before the rear spun from under me and we fell once again, this time a lot harder, I landed right on top of a large rock and both me and the bike must have slid about 5 meters down. By now I was beat, hot, sweating, tired. So, took my jacket, helmet and gloves off and calmed down a bit. Tried one more time, but gave up since now all I could do was either slip the clutch or kill the engine. The bike was now out of the trail and 2 meters away from a bit of tumble, so I decided to let it lay and walk up to the road, about 300 or 400 meters away. Since I was hot and completely wasted I didn├?┬┤t feel like carrying anything and left the jacket there. As I got to the road I waited about 15 minutes for someone who could lend me a hand, and phoned my brother to see if he could help me out, in no time my brother, father and best friend were on a car coming my way, not really sure where I was since they don├?┬┤t know this area and the road I usually use to get here is a kind of backroad. I gave them directions that, I thought would lead them here before they got to the Portal do Inferno, and if I stayed on the road they would have to meet me on their way there. Problem was it was now about 3 PM and by about 5:20 or 5:30 night would set. I talked to a couple of people that drove by but nobody was from around there and nobody was very empful either, one guy said he knew somewhere with a tractor and I gave him my number so that he would call me when he reached it, I told him I├?┬┤ld pay whatever he and the tractor guy wanted to get me out but he never called back. Few cars use that road, I must have seen no more than 10 or 15 pass by from that first call to my rescue team and night time. At about 4:30 my mobile only had one mark on the battery, and since I only had signal on about 50 meters of road I couldn├?┬┤t leave the road to go get the jacket cause a tractor might go by or my brother could call me and I├?┬┤ld miss the tractor, miss them, and be unable to accept the call. I was starting to get worried and cold. They didn├?┬┤t show up and the sun was setting, I was now cold and hungry, and people stopped stopping for me as soon as it got dark, wonder why!

It started getting cold, I knew they were about, only not on this specific road, I also knew they wouldn├?┬┤t stop, so I started walking towards an intersection that led to the Portal do Inferno, it was still a few kms to get there, it was now maybe 7 PM and colder, the sound of barking dogs was kind of worrying since it was now pitch dark and you could barely see the road, firstly I ran a bit, when I saw a set of lights approaching, but amongst the dark I didn├?┬┤t know if they were coming on this road or any other mountain road, it turned out not to be my road. Walked for a few kms and eventually reached the intersection, I didn├?┬┤t have enough battery on the phone to make a call or keep it on for well over 2 hours now but I also didn├?┬┤t have a watch so I don├?┬┤t know for how long it was. Now that I reached the intersection I was pondering wether to stay there or continue walking to a village that was maybe 5 kms away, in search of a phone. As I was pondering this I saw a bright pair of lights approaching and the familiar sound of my brother├?┬┤s car, it was them, by now thinking I was lost or worse, my father was pretty mad at me.

We went back to the bike, but were unable to bring it back up, cause now the engine wasn├?┬┤t starting. So it was with great sorrow I left it alone for a night on the mountains. On the way home we called a friend of my father├?┬┤s who is the chief fireman on Espinho, and managed to ask the firehouse of S.Pedro do Sul for help bringing the bike back up, we had a meeting for the next morning with them. I figured that an electrical winch would tow it back up no sweat. On the car I was at last realizing how tired I was, My arms were killin me, from all the effort it took manhadling the bike on the trail, while trying to push it and hold it from falling. A hot shower felt like heaven, but my right arm hurt so much I could barely wash the back of my head. Dinner was great and a night hanging about was good medicine too. The morning brought new pains, one on my back, probably from falling on that rock, and one on the left leg, don├?┬┤t know why. In the morning we were half an hour delayed by me for forgetting the bike├?┬┤s key at home, and met up with the firemen at about 10:15. They brought a Land Rover with an electrical winch and a piece of rope, we tied the rope to the crash bars and pulled them upwards, the car didn├?┬┤t even have to get to the really steep area since the cable was long enough for it not having to, in about 20 minutes the bike was back on tarmac, but still wouldn├?┬┤t start, maybe the carbs got empty from being laid all night long, there was a certain smell of gas next to the bike so it caould be it. As we took one spark plug coil to check for spark it started on only one cylinder, that├?┬┤s a Transalp for ya.

A few minutes later it was working fine and we made way back down the mountain, to offer the firemen something to drink, I noticed that the clutch is only grabbing on the first bit of lever travel, tried to adjust it but can├?┬┤t, will look into it tomorrow, but it├?┬┤s now time to change the oil and filter, ao I might ask the dealer to check the clutch. The poor thing is now scratched on the lower right side, the brake pedal and that area are a bit scuffed, and the right crash bar is scratched, it├?┬┤s got oil marks on the sidepanels from being laid overnight, but I think it├?┬┤s going to pull through, I love it.

Here is my rescue team

And my bike├?┬┤s new best friend

The End

Oh, the result was a burned clutch   :( , replaced a couple of days later.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 01:58:34 pm »
just as good to read the second time round...  :wink:  thanks.
i love the part... you getting cold, but scared to fetch the jacket in case someone arrived...  :D  :D

Offline Pete Rock

• Puppy
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 02:16:59 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
just as good to read the second time round...  :wink:  thanks.
i love the part... you getting cold, but scared to fetch the jacket in case someone arrived...  :D  :D

Leaving the jacket next to the bike wasn├?┬┤t one of my best decisions  :lol:

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 02:19:19 pm »
Quote from: "Pete Rock"
...it was now maybe 7 PM and colder, the sound of barking dogs was kind of worrying since it was now pitch dark and you could barely see the road, firstly I ran a bit, when I saw a set of lights approaching, but amongst the dark I didn├?┬┤t know if they were coming on this road or any other mountain road, it turned out not to be my road. Walked for a few kms and eventually reached the intersection, I didn├?┬┤t have enough battery on the phone to make a call or keep it on for well over 2 hours now but I also didn├?┬┤t have a watch so I don├?┬┤t know for how long it was. Now that I reached the intersection I was pondering wether to stay there or continue walking to a village that was maybe 5 kms away, in search of a phone.

I can only imagine how it must have felt :lol:
Thank you for a great war story! Nice pics too! I had no idea it was that green in Porraland, beautiful! (though my wife will probably remark on the amount of invasive alien plants in your countryside).

Offline toucan

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 02:21:02 pm »
brilliant report, thats what adventure is all about.
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 02:28:13 pm »
GR8 report man well done, luckily both you and the bike have survived, sounds like it could have been a lot worse...
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 02:48:19 pm »
Obrigado, muchos gracias - verry enjoyable
 :cheers:  :hello1:
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 03:31:35 pm »
Woohaaa hello Pete fancy seeying you here mate :D

I love those still water reflecting shots you took, really cool pics!  8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

shark_za

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 03:40:56 pm »
Good trip dude!
Awesome pics.

Offline Pete Rock

• Puppy
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 04:27:54 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys, I├?┬┤ll post another report soon, on the same area but with less drama, better views and more pics.

Quote from: "Maverick"
Woohaaa hello Pete fancy seeying you here mate :D

Me too mate.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 05:53:21 pm »
when i started reading i saw that you are in portugal, and i thought wtf are you doing there! well, now i know!  :hello1:

Offline mango

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 08:51:56 pm »
Quote from: "wino"
when i started reading i saw that you are in portugal, and i thought wtf are you doing there! well, now i know!  :hello1:

And for the fact that he is Portuguese  :wink:

Offline mango

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 08:55:23 pm »
Hello Rocky  :wink: Nice of you to join us, and show some of what you got in your part of the world....have always enjoyed your ride reports, and will do so the 2nd time around too  :)

I'm sure LITO will pop in and tell you how you could've gotten your
bike out of that situation  :D He probably will be right too, but that doesn't mean you must go back and try it again  :roll:

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 09:06:09 pm »
Quote from: "mango"

I'm sure LITO will pop in and tell you how you could've gotten your
bike out of that situation  :D

Bet he'd recommend you buy a KTM  :D
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 09:10:05 pm »
/hijack on
DD i have now seen this black beast in action...
i cant believe ANY bike can beat it - power, looks and weight...
/hijack off

Offline Pete Rock

• Puppy
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 09:22:23 pm »
I was riding on Tourances, and the trail had no space to build up speed before it started rising, so after the first tumble I became unable to start moving forward (up), I├?┬┤m sure a bike with shorter gearing and proper offroad tyres would probably climb that, but I doubt I could do it unless it was a really light dirtbike. That road challenged my logic that if it leads there then there├?┬┤s a way out.  :lol: , if it continued to descend then there would have been no problem  :roll:

Offline mango

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 09:31:31 pm »
I think it's different looking at a pic than being there and trying to
find a solution to the problem.

I was with some of the guys here that rode up a steep hill...when I
looked at the pics of the same hill posted here, it just didn't look very steep.

Same with Sharks rock. On the pics, I feel that I could do it, but I'm
positive that it's way steeper than it looks.

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 09:18:50 am »
Hallo Pedro Rocha, good to see you here,and nice report.

I am sure you will se enough of me here, checking your reports for spelling errors, which you very rarely make  :roll:
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.