BMW 1150 GS's Luggage Rack Additional Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Getting the 1150GS, luggage rack sorted.

The eventual look, all supports in and fitted, without the top box mounted. (Standard rear end) 
IMG_2344.jpg

Firstly , and very importantly, you need to go buy this nifty support bracket, (Wunderlicht) imported and distributed by Cytech in JHB. (No I don’t work for them, nor have any interests in their business!!) 
This bracket attaches neatly to the rear end of the bikes frame. Pricy, but this is the way to go. This support frame is purpose made to neatly fit in/under the rear of the luggage rack thus creating a slight “canti-lever” support for the luggage rack.
IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

This support (in my opinion) is not enough, because the canti-lever bracket does not create enough rectangular support (called a “moment” in engineering terms). Thus we do the following too.   

The luggage rack itself.
It is imperative to create additional support across the area where these aluminum frames break off. Using 3mm stainless steel plate, cut tapered plates for both the left and right hand side.
IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

Then using good stainless steel bolts with stainless steel nylex nuts and washers, drill and assemble as indicated.
IMG_2352.jpg

Now in my case I re-fitted the top box again, using a 5mm thick aluminum plate, to extend the luggage racks’ support, to the entire area under the top-box.
IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

I also passed 2 x M6 x 45 bolts from through the top of the top box, right through the attachment provided at the rear of the newly installed Wunderlicht , luggage rack support frame.
IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

The end result. A very neat, solid, and totally supported 1150GS, tail end.(Just don’t load the Top-box too much again)
IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

For any more information, please PM me.