A short way to heaven

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
After having been so busy that I missed the ?holiday? in holiday season, I thought a quick 2 day trip might just be the thing to get away from it all. As if it was meant to be, I received my Wild Dogs Buff the day before we left! This would be my first trip in ?the colors?.

So, early Thursday morning, my brother-in-law and I left from a moist George, direction: Montagu Pass.

PC040001.jpg

PC040002.jpg

I have been on this pass many times, but it remains special. I wanted to take a photo on top at Amanda?s grave also, but we literally had our heads in the clouds. We headed North through Paardepoort. After the first few twists and turns we happened upon a small rockslide and, of course, did our bit for society.

PC040007.jpg

Never say we haven?t rolled a stone from your path!

PC040008.jpg

Paardepoort spits you out in the Klein Karoo proper.

PC040009.jpg

We followed the gravel road past Dysselsdorp and on to De Rust for fuel and refreshment. The Kamanassie Dam is on this road, but access is blocked with locked gates. Pity.

PC040012.jpg

PC040014.jpg

From De Rust we worked our way back on the N12 for a couple of km?s to the Oude Muragie road. This route is really beautiful. It passes by the Rust en Vrede waterfall and the Koos Raubenheimer dam. Here we saw a Fish Eagle from rather close. Quite an experience. And that call!

PC040043.jpg

Me sporting my new Buff.

PC040044-2.jpg

We saw lots of birds en route?

PC040022.jpg

and passed a 4x4. The lack of speed & dust convinced us that this 4x4 was not from Gauteng... Keep left, pass right.

PC040031.jpg

The Oude Muragie road connects into Schoemans Poort which of course leads to the Swartberg Pass. I was really surprised by the amount of traffic on this road. Great views though.

PC040063.jpg

PC040072.jpg

Well, everybody knows where the road up the Swartberg Pass leads? Paved with good intentions?

PC040079.jpg

Good girls go to Heaven ? DS Bikers go? everywhere!

PC040082.jpg

There was a snake in the road...

PC040111.jpg

and some water...

PC040115.jpg

After passing a dozen or so bikes (GS?s, Dakars & 2 KTM?s) we eventually got to the pass leading into the ?Kloof?.

PC040132.jpg

PC040136.jpg

PC040138.jpg

What a place.

PC040161.jpg

PC040156.jpg

Does the moon bother you? Noooooooo?

PC040180.jpg

The next day the road out of the "Kloof" and on to Prince Albert. A nice fellow on a Dakar recognized me from me and young Andre?s trip to Attakwas kloof (report: https://www.wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174). He was worried that my 200cc Honda might not get my frame out of the Kloof. He apparently battled to get out of 1st gear up the pass (with 2 up). The concern was not necessary though, as the Honda not only carried me and my luggage out, but did so in 2nd gear and even 3rd in some places. This bike continues to surprise me.

PC050190.jpg

PC050193.jpg

Honda gives you wings?

PC050198.jpg

120_2094.jpg

40 Degrees!

120_2096.jpg

PC050216.jpg

The bikes also took a dip.

PC050224.jpg

Seems like it?s been a while since Prince Albert had a fire.

PC050225.jpg

What a nice ride. Let?s do it again! And so the journey back begins.

PC050229.jpg

PC050231.jpg

PC050232.jpg

There?s nothing like a good ride to clear the head!

PC040045.jpg

This was my first visit to ?Die Hel?. It?s almost a spiritual journey. The nature scenes are awesome and rightfully make you feel small. I was surprised by the good condition of the road (from my perspective as a trail rider). We even saw a Daewoo Matiz in the Kloof! Hardly a hard ride... Basically it?s a gravel road with steep turns and declines. Imagine driving a Land Rover from Gauteng to visit Gamkaskloof only to find a Cape Town guy also made it with his Matiz. Hehe. Quite funny really. :p

What would I change? Next time I?d go out of season. They got up to 104 cars per day and that?s not counting the bikes. Also I?ll go after it?s rained ? I?d like more water crossings. :lol:

I like the mountain trails and as such my bike is the perfect choice for what I do. What I did not expect was to be recognized by so many fellow bikers on the more ?commercial? routes. I see lots of Dakars & GS?s on these routes, but I guess they don?t see to many huge guys doing these routes on a 200cc.

Here?s the vital statistics:

George, Motagu Pass, Paardepoort, Dysselsdorp, De Rust ? 77km

De Rust, Oude Muragie, Swartberg Pass, Gamkaskloof ? 110km

Gamkaskloof to Prince Albert ? 84km

Prince Albert, Oudtshoorn, Heimersrivier, Paardepoort, Montagu Pass, George ? 142km

Accommodation ? R150
Petrol < R100
Experience ? Priceless!