Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Rules" of Gravel Travel  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: "Rules" of Gravel Travel
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 06:55:37 pm »
Horses are very sensitive to bikes, especially loud ones.  Contrary to common believe I always slow down to crawling speed when I encounter them - after all, it's the right thing to do.

Also, including when I was carrying a passenger from the last canal run (without a rear seat) the horsey types appreciated consideration, but I ride like a grandma anyway. 8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:58:16 pm by Welsh »
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline Hondsekierie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 07:30:18 pm »
Horses are very sensitive to bikes, especially loud ones.  Contrary to common believe I always slow down to crawling speed when I encounter them - after all, it's the right thing to do.

Also, including when I was carrying a passenger from the last canal run (without a rear seat) the horsey types appreciated consideration, but I ride like a grandma anyway. 8)

Somehow I don't believe you  :pot:
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Bug's

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »
I live on a dirt road near De Rust and despite the signs that I have put up indicating horses, the farm is split by the road, a large number of vehicles travel at high speed mainly locals but some bikers as well. The road narrows down beyond the farm someone is going to come short when a lunatic is trying to beat the dirt road land speed record meets someone trying to to the same the opposite way. We had a police vehicle go between a bunch of horses at speed without slowing down causing one horse to spook resulting in stiches in the hand for the wife. When confronted they did appologise but the damage was done.

Offline DRAZIL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »
When your bikes front tyre hits the gravel you ride it like it was stolen. >:D :pot:
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson