1050km in 12 hours !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
So yesterday was our local bike club's "Wild Bulls" annual Bulls with Balls 1000km run from Upington to Kenhardt via Springbok and Van Rhyns Dorp. It's actually 1048km and I was dared into doing it on the KTM 950 SE unfortunately there was no gravel travelling involved. Needless to say.........my bum has felt better in days gone by.

We left Upington at 05:00 and went through Kakamas and filled up in Pofadder 212km, next stop was Springbok 163km further, and I was feeling pretty good.

Next stop was Garies 115km further and it was time for a beer, and a biltong broodjie.
Springbok was another 145km further and I started feeling the strain, luckily a mid day braai on Van Rhyns pass was organized by a few of the back-runners where I spend about 1.5 hours out of the saddle, then it was a quick run to Calvinia where we had to help load up 2 bikes on the the backup trailer. One guy had a fall coming into Calvinia while overtaking a lorrie and the other bikes chain broke.......both incidents happened at speed :eek: luckily both riders are OK the guy who had the fall spend about an hour in hospital and left with a few stiches etc.
148km further was the town of Brandvlei and there we spend some time in the infamous Windpomp restaurant, cut-off time was 17:00 so we only had to leave at 16:00 to be able to make it to Kenhardt 153km further in time for cut-off.
I arrived in Kenhardt at 16:54 and I was knackered.
I feel quite an chuffed with myself that I did it as it was the longest and furthest I have ever spend on a bike, and now I know that it will not kill you. As for my trustee steed "which was defnitely not designed  with this kind off travelling in mind"this bike is truly awesome it did not miss a beat.
My GPS readings were taken this morning when I got back at home in Upington and are as follows:
total distance travelled: 1151km
max speed: 200km/h
total average speed : 136km/h
moving time: 08hrs02min

The guy who did the trip the quickest was Henk v/d Merwe "on a Huyabusa also last years winner and he did it in  5hrs08mins......he would have done it in uner 5hrs , but he helped the guy who had the fall near Calvinia and gave him a lift into town.