An Unexpected Fun Afternoon Run Saturday 30-01-2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boer!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
The idea of a quick afternoon run is always welcomed with open arms.  Just like a cold beer on Braai-Sunday before having a pre-week afternoon nap.  So when my riding buddy Janneman suggested we take the bikes out for a quick spin around the newbie route on Saturday afternoon, I was definitly not skipping this one.

It has been raining all week and we wondered whether or not the mudmonster would be lurking somewhere. Both our bikes has just completed a DIY custom job over December, and we thought it was time to put them through the paces.

Saturday noon before we left, Janneman came over to my house and we had a quick cold one before we hit the road.  We discussed the possibility of mud on the newbie route.  I suggested we just wing it.  We'll see where we end up.  I felt we should not plan a route for a afternoon run, but just see where the road leads to.  And we had more fun than we anticipated.

30012010l.jpg

The two 1200GS's fully customized in front of my house just before we left.  The Dark Knight and Blou Bliksem waiting impatiently.

30012010885.jpg

Both our helmets have got Bluetooth capability, and we connected the two so we could talk to each other while riding.  On the N1 North, we decided to make a right onto the N4 and see what we could encounter.  Then we took a left at Bronkhorstspruit.  Just about 3km outside Bronkhorstspruit,  a dirt road promised us adventure.  According to my cellphone's limited Google Earth, the dirt road would eventually end up at Balmoral, and promised an unknown river crossing. Here we are lowering tire pressure for the dirt road.

30012010886q.jpg

The blue sky with white clouds, rolling and waving green fields with a solid red dirt track made for an unexpected pleasant ride.  We expected a lot more mud and water on the road surface, but this was not the case.  Road surface solid with minimal water, we pulled the GS's ear and had a blast. Janneman making a splash.

30012010887.jpg

We generally followed the road which occasionaly pointed us to Ezenfubu Nature Reserve.  We figured they might not let bikes through, but we would then explore a track to circumnavigate the reserve.  This also didn't happen.  Here we are at our second dead end.  Locked gate and a deep gorge to our right, there was no circumnavigating this one.  We had to go back.  So we found some minor technical areas to test ourselves a bit and fooled around a bit.  We had nowhere to be anyway.

30012010906.jpg

Janneman climbing the technical slope.  Wasn't to bad here, but got trickier to the top.  Lot of rain caused some erosion in the road surface and exposed some fair size rocks.  :D

300120109312.jpg

My turn on the techincal slope.  Too easy ;)

30012010924.jpg

Then we encountered a bit of mud.  This also had us fooling around a bit.  We were silently hoping the other one would slip his rear tire out and get a golden face-splat shot for this ride report, but alas, nothing happened .  Not too much mud here. :ricky:

30012010926.jpg

Or here...

30012010929.jpg

Nope, no face splats!  Good for us, but sorry dogs.

30012010931.jpg

We then got back on tar and headed for the next offramp.  This turned out to be Balmoral.  We stopped for a quick MONSTER and a few photos. We thought these ruins would make good background.  We were right and wrong.  Made nice background, but they weren't ruins....

30012010016r.jpg

The Dark Knight Posing

30012010939.jpg

Blou Bliksem in hiding.  Een Twee Drie... Blok myself...

30012010943.jpg

It turns out, The Ruins,  belongs to a local farmer who plans to finish it and make it a bar for bikers. It's not ruins.  It's just not completed.  The farmer came over and introduced himself and was quite happy that we took the time to admire his handywork.  His kids was fascinated with the bikes in the long grass and we let them pose for a photo.  Kids are so gullible.  We told them we wont be able to see them if they don't raise their hands above their heads.  ;D  Nice People, locals.  :thumleft:

He also has a War Genocide museum across the road.  Worth a visit apparently.  We had a quick look, but couldnt find it.

30012010945001m.jpg

30012010948.jpg

How do you find a GS in the long grass??? PLEASANT..... :imaposer:

and hot....
30012010949.jpg

30012010950.jpg

The farmer told us to follow the dirt road North east for about 15mins.  We would hit tar again, and that would lead us south to Witbank.  And I just hate Witbank. Not sure why.  Must be something about an ex-girl I went out with.  She was from there.  ??? 

Note:  If you ever get the chance to go to Witbank:  DONT!!!! 

30012010951.jpg

Janneman having a blast.  The thumbs up says it all. Note the smooth road surface in the background.  Awesome.

30012010952.jpg

Time was catching up with us fast and we needed a quick beer.  Witbank would unfortunately have to do.  We had a cold one at DROS JOU MA SE KOS.  End of the exploring, but not end of the trip.  We still had to get back.

So with it getting dark and our better halves leaving missed calls and sms's with frowny faces, we opened full taps back to PTA and Centurion.

31012010953.jpg

Home after an unexpected Fun Afternoon Run.  Looks a lot better HUH?

To my riding buddy Janneman.  ONE phone call made this happen.  Who would've thought?

Thanks for reading. Please post comments. 
Boer
8)