The Best 4 x 4 x 4 x FAR - COMPLETE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crop Sprang

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
4 of us decided to do a loop around 4 countries in 14 days
27 December 2009 – 11 January 2010
5185 km total

4 FRIENDS (two of us much more than friends actually) with different levels of riding experience, Schnelga (F650 GS) has been riding for just over a year, Cable Man (F800 GS) has been re-riding for about 6 months after not riding for 20 odd years, Shakes (1200 GS) my riding buddy, and Crop Sprang (1200 GSA)

4 COUNTRIES – South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Botswana

4 RIVERS – Orange, Fish, Okavango, Zambesi with a couple of other ones thrown in along the way

The quest was to enjoy  2 weeks of a completely different landscape to the ones we are all used to. The desert called us from the highveld and from the tropical heat of Mtunzini on the north coast.

Planning took place over a couple of braai’s and some brannas. What to take, who carries what, what to leave behind. Schnelga and I had previously pillioned some of Namibia and we took too much stuff so the warcry was to leave as much stuff behind. We each took a bag strapped to the back of our trusty steed and a tankbag, as little clothing as possible, camping equipment with a chair each, a tarp for all, shared tools and the cable man’s cloths pegs which came in very handy indeed when hanging up our clean socks.

We have each given our own short accounts of each days adventure, our joy and fear, our trials and tribulations, our gatvol-ness and our achievements.

Viva Afrika, Viva Friends, Viva Riding

wholeroute.jpg

DAY 1 – Jhb to Keimoes (834 Km)

DAY1ROUTE.jpg

SHAKES says,
The night before departure I couldn’t sleep. I was excited and yet nervous as I haven’t
done a long trip like this before. I was nervous for the long 840km first day.
I eventually fell asleep and woke up before my wakeup call from my cell phone.
Proud that my internal clock is so finely tuned
Jumped into the shower, made tea, put my riding gear on my bed and then clanged at my
phone and saw the time – 3:15am. O shit.  I was only supposed to get up about an hour and half later. Lucky I fell asleep again quickly and woke up at the right time and after
double checking my gear, bike etc.. Met Crop Sprang and gang on the M1 heading south towards the N12 towards Potch.

It was a beautiful morning, perfect for riding and I quickly settled into a rhythm
and towns flew past, the nervousness gone. Stopped for brunch in Vryburg and headed on towards Upington. Found a place to camp next to the Orange River. While Schnelga and Cable man pitched up camp Crop and I  went in search of some supplies.

Upington “is so toe soos n klei-os se gat” on a Sunday afternoon, but we bribed
the lady owner of the Hotel out of a bottle of KWV 5 year and a couple of beers.
Our host at the campsite organized some braaipacks and wood - SORTED  
We had a great time kuiering around the fire, reflecting on the days ride.
Looking forward to the first dirt the next day

RIMG0045.jpg

RIMG0047.jpg

RIMG0053.jpg

SCHNELGA SAYS:
I was surprisingly calm albeit the first day of my biggest adventure.
I thought the planned route was a bit ambitious but I had faith in Crop Sprang’s judgement of my ability to ride.  Adventurer had also given me confidence.  His wife, Peaches, had done Namibia without much training or experience.  Travel Gravel had also conquered Nam with minimal time in the saddle - thanks for your words of encouragement.
Today I did my longest distance on tar and my riding lesson for the day was ‘how not to ride in wind’.  Those gusts were totally unpredictable so I slowed down and all was manageable.
Soon we arrived at our campsite, set up camp on the banks of the Orange and celebrated our first successful day.

Picture001.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture019.jpg

CROP SPRANG says,
After spending a week of my holiday paddling down the Orange River with Schnelga, my two young daughters, Woolly Bugger and his Mrs. And their 7 kids and then spending a couple of days relaxing at my farmhouse in the Freestate the holiday was building to an action packed crescendo as the day arrived.

We packed the night before, repacked Cable Man’s stuff leaving his topbox behind but bring his moer koffie and his cloths pegs.

Bikes packed, fuelled up, we met shakes just south of the Big Smoke. The first day was long. It gave aus an opportunity to get into a rhythm, we were able to see how each other rode, what we did when stopping to refuel, who stopped for breaks and when.

We almost lost Schnelga when she decided to get ahead of the boys when we stopped to check out the big truck near Sishen. A quick dash to catch her stopped her from ending up in Cape Town, no worries.

The way the landscapes change when traveling west across this beautiful country is a staggering transistion and really allows one to ease into the desert slowly.

It was all easy going although quite tiring. Getting to our campsite at Kalahari Water Lodge introduced us to 5km of gravel at the end of the day. A sample of things to come.

Our first river stop: The mighty Orange. Miggies and biltong, Brannas and braai, Magnificent.

RIMG0055-1.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture027.jpg

RIMG0062-1.jpg

RIMG0066-1.jpg