Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Getting a bike drivers licence in Southern Africa on Tourist Visa  (Read 579 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TPOU

  • Newbie
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    Location: Other
  • Posts: 6
    • Ninas & Toms Travelpage
We are travelling on one motorbike through Africa, presently in Malawi. The plan is to travel up on the Westcoast on two bikes. But for that, I would need to make also a drivers licence for motorbikes - presently I have one for driving cars and small trucks, issued in Germany.

The questions are now:
- Is there a way to make a drivers licence in Malawi, Zimbabwe, South Africa or Namibia on a tourist visa?
- What are the requirements to pass the motorcycle licence to drive a 650cc?
- How much time is needed, to go through the process?
- What are the steps to get there? - Where do I have to start?

We are presently in Blantyre - and will next go to Mozambique - any help is highly apprechiated...

My details are: Nina - German national
Car driving licence since: 1998 - Germany

Thank you for all help



Offline LeonDude

  • A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • ****
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
    Location: Gauteng
  • Posts: 9,909
  • Thanked: 207 times
  • DL650 - The Magic Touch
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: Getting a bike drivers licence in Southern Africa on Tourist Visa
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:34:56 am »
The SA drivers system is not good at the moment. It takes a long time to get a learners license here. Once you have a learners, if you are older than 18 you can ride any bike for a year and a half - enough time to do what you want to do.

My advice would be to try and get a license in one of the other african countries on your way here, and use that. I think SA should accept some other african countries licenses. If they don't, then simply use the license from that country to get a AA international drivers licence.

My 2c.
Ride reports, books and more on my website.
Building Plans - A Concise reference

Offline JustBendIt

  • Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • ****
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
    Location: Western Cape
  • Posts: 5,647
  • Thanked: 317 times
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
Re: Getting a bike drivers licence in Southern Africa on Tourist Visa
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »
On a foreign passport / ID document you will have to apply for a traffic register number at any vehicle licensing and registration office - you will need 2 passport photos for this and it will be issued immediately at no charge

You must then apply to write a learner's license at a traffic testing centre.

Depending on where you go in RSA to do this it will probably take a minimum of 6 months to get a date to do the test. Assuming you pass the learner's first time you will then be able to book for your full license - this will also take at least 6 months to get a date

The above can all be done BUT with immense frustration and time wasting, nevermind the costs if you don't pass both tests first time.

I rather suggest taking out an international license at any AA office and just make up bullshit excuses if you ever get stopped and asked for your license - just play dumb and tell the cop that the AA must have made a mistake by not including the bike license on the international drivers license
The older I get the faster I was

Offline indaba

  • Newbie
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
    Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 5
    • Fatman Overland
Re: Getting a bike drivers licence in Southern Africa on Tourist Visa
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:06:22 am »
As far as I can remember here in the UK the international driving licence from the AA includes your motorcycle licence - will check on an old one we have laying around somewhere