Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: why the lying and withholding of information?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Fugly

Re: why the lying and withholding of information?
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »
why do people lie and withhold information about problems on their bikes ???

there has been numerous cases on the forum

one person will tell you everything thats good and bad about their bike - they will tell you if something is broken

but lots of dogs dont share the information wrt problems that they have

in the one thread they will proclaim that their specific bike is the best DS bike ever built and it is the perfect compromise - off-road, on-road, etc etc

but meanwhile back at the ranch their bike is in piece as it is broken down for the umpteenth time in the last couple of months ???

why is this - do they think if they keep the bad information off the forum they might be able to sell it one day to an unsuspecting dog ???

or are they just to proud to admit that their bike has problems ???

this is not a brand thing - this happens across all brands

i have found that bmw owners are more open about the problems - purely cause they believe that a bmw should never ever have any problems and when it gets a problem they throw all their toys out of the cot  :peepwall:

Ok this thread has move fast and I'm not gonna go through everything now, this is an emotional reply.......

My biggest gripe is exactly what you say but then they try to sell the bike to some unsuspecting fellow dog!!!

Pisses me off!
Don’t worry about things that aren’t, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2010, 07:47:10 pm »
My GSV has maintenance, I ride it and maintain it, no grief and I do photo reports of its minor guttings :biggrin:
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »
Problems I had on my bike so far that have been fixed

Plenty of rear tyres
Valve clearances
Suspension proffesionally setup
Dipstick leaking - replaced

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
Oh and I snapped a throttle cable last weekend

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2010, 08:09:03 pm »
no 'real' issues so far.  gear changes feel stiff for about 45min, long after the bike has warmed up, but then become as smooth as greased slug snot.

not happy with the heidi on the front.  it grips beautifully on well maintained dirt roads but as soon as things get rougher or there are corrugations the bike gets nervous and the tank slappers start creeping in, have had some heart in the mouth experiences, fortunately managed to save it each time.  the deathwings never did this at all.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2010, 08:10:15 pm »
My bike threw me off the other day.

Does that count as being unreliable?

Bobnob, why does this issue bother you so much?
It's almost as if you WANT to hear about other people's bikes breaking down, so you can gloat over it in a sadistic way.

Water is wet, bikes break, people lie. That's life.

:)
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline DRAZIL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »
slight diff oil leak,sorted in 5 minutes under warrenty.37000km
Touch wood thats all.
I too get seriously ticked off if someoe does not tell the truth on broken/failed components ect. I like to know strengths and weaknesses of different bikes especially around shopping time.
Pity the poor wilddog sod who buys a farked up bike from a wilddog and vice a versa. >:D
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2010, 08:18:55 pm »
My bike threw me off the other day.

Does that count as being unreliable?

It's almost as if you WANT to hear about other people's bikes breaking down, so you can gloat over it in a sadistic way.

Water is wet, bikes break, people lie. That's life.

:)

it does not bother me personally - we are talking about different bike related k@k all day long

this is just one topic  :thumleft:

we could always rather find a topic in the religion and politics board and talk about stuff that really has nothing to do about bikes ???

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »

That makes sense
A bike won't normally give hassles, if you just commute and always brag about getting 22 000kms out of a chain and sprocket set.
But things tend to break if they get pushed to the limits - KTM's

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:28 pm »
I too get seriously ticked off if someoe does not tell the truth on broken/failed components ect. I like to know strengths and weaknesses of different bikes especially around shopping time.
Pity the poor wilddog sod who buys a farked up bike from a wilddog and vice a versa. >:D

+1

by people withholding what goes wrong on their bikes you dont ever get a clear picture as to what bikes have what problems

i am a bike whore  :P

thats why i buy lots of bike mags - read all kinds of bike site - etc etc etc

this members of the forum can be seen as journalist - each with a long term test bike  ;D

and by telling the rest of us truthfully when stuff break etc we can form a mental picture as to what is common problems on certain bikes

then one day when you want to buy such a bike you know that it has 3 or how many ever known issues to look for

but no - lets brag about our bikes and keep the problems on the low down cause maybe i loose 5k over the lifetime of the bike in resale cause you cant con someone that i know into buying it from me ???

Offline Trokkie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:31 am »
This thread makes no sense at all!

Go big or go home

Offline Usurper

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2010, 08:55:38 am »
Nope, In the last almost 4 years I have been on the forum, I have posted most of my issues. In that time I have destroyed most of my bike, then rebuilt or repaired the damage.
The bottom line... Dont buy my bike  >:D I wouldnt.
But then, its not for sale
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:56:39 am by Usurper »
Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2010, 09:05:00 am »
Also don't buy a bike from N[]va......he is quite hard on bikes..... :biggrin: :biggrin:
Some wind up in dustbins... :imaposer:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2010, 09:07:35 am »
Also don't buy a bike from N[]va......he is quite hard on bikes..... :biggrin: :biggrin:
Some wind up in dustbins... :imaposer:

when i saw his post on his chinese bike that did 30 000km and then cracked the frame i was shocked!

i'm not shocked any more  ;D

take my hat of to that little chinese bike that lasted 30 000km in his hands  :ricky:

Offline fixit

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:36 am »
A fellow dog that recently joined the site had a DR that gave him minimal kark decided to upgrade to 1200GS. (New). The bike gave him so much problems that it spent more time back at the stealer than time he owned it.
He has since got rid of it, not sure to who, but bought a KLR and swore never to touch a BMW again.
Why he hasn’t posted about it, I do not know, but can only assume it is for the reasons you mentioned and that there are okes on this forum that defend the 1200 to death, so he probably doesn’t want to get into a match with them?
And yes after talking to him about it, my perception is now that a 1200 is a kark choice of bike and I also believe there are a lot of okes that STFU about their problems.
Yes, there may be okes that own them that don’t have any hassles, but in general my gut feel is that they do give a lot problems not discussed on this forum.

Flame away Michnus… :pot: :pot:
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:58 am »
A fellow dog that recently joined the site had a DR that gave him minimal kark decided to upgrade to 1200GS. (New). The bike gave him so much problems that it spent more time back at the stealer than time he owned it.
He has since got rid of it, not sure to who, but bought a KLR and swore never to touch a BMW again.
Why he hasn’t posted about it, I do not know, but can only assume it is for the reasons you mentioned and that there are okes on this forum that defend the 1200 to death, so he probably doesn’t want to get into a match with them?
And yes after talking to him about it, my perception is now that a 1200 is a kark choice of bike and I also believe there are a lot of okes that STFU about their problems.
Yes, there may be okes that own them that don’t have any hassles, but in general my gut feel is that they do give a lot problems not discussed on this forum.

Flame away Michnus… :pot: :pot:

fixit now that would have been interesting - cause each and every brand has duds - it happens

but you never hear about them (except for n[]va x-country)

personally i dont trust the new 1200's - the old 2004 model 1200 was very good - minimal problems

but the facelift model (pre 2010 model) i dont trust at all

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:53 am »
personally i dont trust the new 1200's - the old 2004 model 1200 was very good - minimal problems

In 5 years time people would say they don't trust the newer models, but the facelift models that was pre 2010...............they are just the business. 8)
It is an everlasting cycle of opinions.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2010, 10:26:38 am »

In 5 years time people would say they don't trust the newer models, but the facelift models that was pre 2010...............they are just the business. 8)

eish, nes jy se, en so gaan ons rond in sirkels. The 1200 for example has already surpassed 100 000 units, the Citi golf in SA in 30 years only build 500000 units to add some measure, and the problems on 1200's as percentage to how many made is marginal. Bikes, most brands, are getting better in reliability all the time.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:27:10 am by michnus »

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2010, 10:26:41 am »

its true  ;D

lets see if the new 2010 range still has rear shocks that explode etc etc

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2010, 10:31:24 am »
Im not that hard on bikes =[
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/