Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.  (Read 1759 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline LuckyStriker

  • Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • *****
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    Location: Western Cape
  • Posts: 10,158
  • Thanked: 13 times
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 03:51:01 pm »
Quote from: "Lito"
what happened to the road? Any genius geologists around?

There's an idling 640 parked on it...

just kidding OX :wink:
 

Offline X Banana Boy

Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 04:02:21 pm »
Great report OX.  Thanks
 

Kev

  • Guest
Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 04:16:03 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Quote from: "Lito"
what happened to the road? Any genius geologists around?

There's an idling 640 parked on it...

 
MWWWHHHAAAAHHHAAAA!!!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Skerp!  :D
 

Offline OX

Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 04:46:05 pm »
Quote from: "Lito"
Ox - how did the 640 fare? were you exhausted after the trip? is it really the boneshaker its known as?

The 640 is the offspring of the Dakar winning bikes , its a hard bike , it is a bit of a bone shaker , but I like the ruggig handling !!
slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this email's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects
 

Offline Bobby Bent

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 03:20:39 pm »
Howzit OX

Nice to see you and Bobby again ( yup it is me from Klerksdorp trying to nurse serious injury) Nice pics and ride looks good - just a comment on the road cracks - yup it is subsedance caused by underground pillar and bord coal mining the whole of Delmas, Witbank, Middleburg is full of it. In some cases you can actually see smoke coming out the cracks, caused from spontaneous combustion in the under ground workings.

Not very good ground to ride on!. :twisted:
 

Offline FortyZA

  • Pack Dog
  • **
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    Location: Eastern Cape
  • Posts: 425
  • East London
Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 04:45:45 pm »
Quote from: "OX"
I think the cracks were from  mining underground mixed with too much rain water, very scary !!! We were riding very close to the coal mining areas.


Hi Ox,
Road is cracking because it is made out of clay, heavy trucks compress the ground and with all the rain we have had, just make matters worse and when the sun shines it bakes and the cracks are formed.  It is common in the Secunda area.
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold
 

Offline Lito

  • BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
    Location: Western Cape
  • Posts: 3,110
  • BANNED TROLL
Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »
Quote from: "OX"
Quote from: "Lito"
Ox - how did the 640 fare? were you exhausted after the trip? is it really the boneshaker its known as?

The 640 is the offspring of the Dakar winning bikes , its a hard bike , it is a bit of a bone shaker , but I like the ruggig handling !!


Thanks. the lineage is well spoken of, and I know plenny of guys in the states who revalve and reshim the 48mm forks, work is done by Precision Concepts.

Apparently... it transforms the machine into a near perfect race machine - then you just got to lose some other stuff and add some others...
 

shark_za

  • Guest
Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 05:04:03 pm »
I think I must get me one.
Have another Dakar racer in the stable...   Do you see the BMW X-Raid team in thier X3's  

 :P  :P  :twisted:  :twisted:  :P  :P
 

Offline OX

Work, Dros, Fishmonger, home, Swazi, Home.
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 05:10:36 pm »
Quote from: "FortyZA"
Quote from: "OX"
I think the cracks were from  mining underground mixed with too much rain water, very scary !!! We were riding very close to the coal mining areas.


Hi Ox,
Road is cracking because it is made out of clay, heavy trucks compress the ground and with all the rain we have had, just make matters worse and when the sun shines it bakes and the cracks are formed.  It is common in the Secunda area.


see bobby bents answer , he works for the mines and knows a lot about falling ground.
slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this email's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects