Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Prepping a race bike - behind the scenes  (Read 520 times)

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Prepping a race bike - behind the scenes
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:32:32 pm »
How much work is involved in getting a race bike upto scratch

How often do you take your bike in for a service / clean / repair and then are unhappy about a small detail
We all too often jump on the high horse about things when in the greater scheme of things, they are not that important

There is along season ahead and both man and machine will have to be in top shape to withstand the rigors of competitive racing

It will be interesting to see how the machines perform and how issues are dealt with, problems (hopefully as little as possible) are traced and resolved and how the bikes stand upto a tough season with committed riders.

Currently we are dealing with mud and the problems that brings. As the season unfolds, we move into Winter and a whole new ball game.

Next one is in Ermelo in 2 weeks time
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:05:04 pm by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

shark_za

Re: Prepping a race bike - behind the scenes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:23:17 am »
Riding a full season is hard on a bike.
Another reason for someone new into racing to get a KDX to learn on.

It will last a season or 10 of hard racing if maintained properly.

Offline NIEKIE

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:52:06 am »
Plottie / Shark

I think this thread can be very usefull

If you do not mind can you assist in listing the major priority areas to check after / before every race, then more minor priorities etc. I think you catch the drift. Sort of a check list for us newer to this scene. Everyone has his way of going about checking the bike through but I guess experience can not be paid for (sometimes even when you take the bike to a shop) and most of us look after our bike personally.

I trust you are willing to help

Regards Niekie

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:53 pm »
Plottie / Shark

I think this thread can be very usefull

If you do not mind can you assist in listing the major priority areas to check after / before every race, then more minor priorities etc. I think you catch the drift. Sort of a check list for us newer to this scene. Everyone has his way of going about checking the bike through but I guess experience can not be paid for (sometimes even when you take the bike to a shop) and most of us look after our bike personally.

I trust you are willing to help

Regards Niekie

This is very new to me, but I'm learning - and learning fast

What has immediately become obvious is that the race bikes are really punished, BUT and a BEEEG BUT, if they are properly maintained - I would say they are probably in better condition than a weekend bike
These bikes are TOTALLY stripped down after every race

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:03:45 pm by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline NIEKIE

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »
But I have to register there as well. Sjoe WD, e-dirt, AMX. When is time to work??

Thx anyway

Adventure MX

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:46:21 pm »
I am not going to duplicate work, all it takes is a simple registration and you get the whole nine yards.  :thumleft:

Offline NIEKIE

• Pack Dog
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:09:08 am »
I have registered. Well worth it. Thx AMX for keeping this post. I don't know you personally but from the detail I take you are proud of your work and obviously also hold your name up high. Keep it up.

If I may I would like to ask:

I see the bikes are stripped fairly naked when cleaned first round. When the airbox intake area is open like that how do you go about with the pressure washer as not to get water in there. Do you close it of in a way. Maybe stupid question but won't know if I do not ask.

I am keep tabs on this and the AMX forum

Regards

Niekie

Adventure MX

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:00 am »
Thanks NIEKIE,

Before we wash we push a cotton cloth into the intake of the carb.  We then use a air box cover to close it off.  Air box covers are specifically design for each type of bike.

Note from the suppliers:

Hazards of not using an AIRBOX COVER when washing your bike.  Many people do not remove their dirty air filter when they wash their bike after riding.  More often than not,  water makes it's way to the dirty filter from high pressure hoses.  Water on the filter can pick up dirt from off of the dirty filter.  If the dirty air filter receives a "direct hit" from the high pressure hose,  could even force the dirty water into the air intake. when the bike is started after washing,  the engine could also "Full" dirty water into the air intake. To avoid the possibility of engine damage from careless bike washing,  we recommend the use of a NO-TOIL AIR BOX COVER.  Before washing ,  simply remove the dirty air filter,  install airbox cover and thoroughly wash the bike.  You can even shoot the high pressure hose directly into the airbox.  After washing,  dry off bike and air box thoroughly remove airbox cover and install clean and oiled No-Toil air filter.  Start bike . Ride.              

Offline NIEKIE

• Pack Dog
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:02:16 am »
Amx thx for the reply.

I checked your web page quickly but can't find.

Do you stock the air box covers. I ride 2009 KTM 200XCW. My kid ride 2005 KX85.

Can you help

I will also send email

Regards

Niekie