A short coffee ride from Durbanville

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Python

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Well Falcon and I had 3 hrs to squeeze in a ride. What with the stunning weather n'all.
So we headed out of Durbanville for Slentpad where the wind turbine are. Ended up doing the 1st section of Wes’ Noob ride.

SlentPad.jpg

Turbbines.jpg

While we were stopped snapping pics, BuzzLightyear pulled up on a Tenere, he was doing a test ride on.
Hey buzz did you get it?  >:D

Buzztest.jpg

Buzztesting.jpg

We hit the gravel and had a bit of fun. We went off right through the farms. plenty of raptors around for Falcon to enjoy. Had a little steen bokkie(could have been a big duiker) bound along the road just ahead of us for about 500m then we got to close and he took a sharp right straight through a barbed wire fence at about 45kph. I stopped and looked at the fence not so much as a tuft of hair on the wire.  He went bounding away through the wheat.

Then it was on to the Langvlei pad. This is Falcon strutting her stuff
JoAction.jpg

Shortly after this pic I encountered a sand pit while looking around at the birds  and nearly became closely acquainted with my nether region. Remembered to gas it out of trouble at the last minute. Falcon said it looked like I was going to bite it but she was watching through the dust :)

Then we were on the tar, right  and on to the road that goes to wellington. We stopped in at Ridgeback wines for coffee which turned out to be a coke ‘cause the kitchen wasn’t open yet.  :-\
Ridgebacksign.jpg

Ridgeback.jpg

Ridgeback-1.jpg

Although we saw quite a few bits of wild life the only one that stood still long enough for me to snap a pic with my phone was this big ass bee. Wouldn’t want to be stung by this puppy.
BigAssBee.jpg

I think I recall from my childhood that I once trapped one in a flower and he stung me right through the petals - a couple of times.
While enjoying a coke and the spot Falcon gets an SMS from our youngest “ "mom think I broke my foot"” what a way to shorten a stolen moment. So it was back the way we came
Langvlei.jpg

To this

Brokenfoot.jpg

X-ray’s didn’t show anything more than severe bruising  but he got to use Dad’s crutches and have a bandage which was cool.
Despite the ending it was an enjoyable little run, 89k’s in all 40 odd on dirt. We’ll have to build a collection of these short routes. Finding the time for longer rides seems to be impossible given everyone’s schedule.

Thanks Wes for introducing the route to us  :thumright: