Elmer Symons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kev

From a post be Neduro, on ADV rider:
https://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3886220&postcount=117

Elmer Symons
elmer-0044-Web.jpg

1) What attracts you to the Dakar?
The adventure of getting across such an amazing amount of landscape, and needing to make the right decisions all the way through. I love long and hard races, and this is the one!

2) What is your goal for the race?
To finish, by focusing on navigation and gaining experience. Results will come later.

3) Strength/ Weakness for the race?
Strength: When everyone else is tired, I will be strong. My focus is good, so my pace will be better at the end than the beginning.
Weakness: Dune riding, and the unknown.

4) Who helped you the most?
My brother Phillip, who's dropped everything to come out of his way to help, and is doing anything and everything he can as my mechanic. Also, James Embro, without whom this wouldn't be possible.

5) Sponsors to thank?
MSR, Maxxis, Gaerne Boots, Scott Goggles, Arai, Enduro Engineering, Motion Pro, Scotts Performance, SFB, EBC brakes, CTI Braces

Hometown: Ladysmith, South Africa
Dakar Bike: KTM 660 Rallye
Favorite Bike: KTM 250 XC
Riding For: 13 years
Favorite Ride: Roof of Africa Rally

A few impressions:

Elmer had an unbelievably positive attitude, and approached everything with lots of energy and enthusiasm. He had an undisguised passion for the Dakar, and was fulfilling a dream to compete this year. He had hoped for a Factory ride in the past after his South African enduro championship, but when none was forthcoming, he put the plans together to make it happen on his own. He was Scot Harden's mechanic in 2005, James Embro's in 2006, and was racing this year.

Why am I writing in the past tense? I'm crying as I write this. Elmer died this morning in a crash on Stage 4. I don't know any details yet, but it is confirmed on the Dakar website.

I don't have any words. Everything I try to say, is not even close to up to the task. I saw Elmer again at the Last Man Standing, and he was so excited about the Dakar, that even after one of the hardest rides on the planet (competing in that race), his eyes sparkled and his voice got a bit faster when the subject of Dakar came up.

Elmer and Phillip in Death Valley:

98284306-M.jpg