BMW F650GS or F650GS Dakar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
I've been riding a Vespa for the past year, and finally upgrading!

Currently I commute from Durbanville into Cape Town city centre every day, and ride all over the place with the wife on the back on weekends. In addition to this with the new bike I'll want to do a lot of longer distance stuff on the weekends (long sunday rides and weekends away, as well as a trip to Windhoek later this year) AND I definitely want to play around offroad - and have a little fun (not interested in wrecking myself or my bike though, but not discounting the fact that I might get into it and attempt some more hardcore stuff).

I have decided on the BMW F650, with ABS, but I'm having trouble deciding if I should get the standard 650 or the Dakar. I'm wondering if difference in offroad ability is worth it for the price (on a budget, aren't we all ;) ) How much offroad can the standard 650 handle before you need a Dak?

I've also heard many guys say that the seat on the GS can get uncomfy after a while and to choose the high seat - I'm a reasonably tall dude at about 1.82m - but i've sat on the bike (with and without the high seat) and I must say that when I sit on it with the normal seat my legs tuck in nicely under the contours on the "tank" but with the high seat my legs almost sit next to the contours, rather than "in" them. seems silly I know, but I've got buggerall bike experience so not sure if this is going to be an issue (obviously I would have the same concern with the Dakar as it has the high seat as standard).

Anyways, ANY advice or tips from those with GSes/Dakars or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

And when I eventually do get my bike (need to sell this damn scooter first) I look forward to making some new friends and having some fun!