Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tankgirl UP!!!  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
Re: Tankgirl Down
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2010, 07:51:21 pm »
TG, best of luck girl :thumleft:

No need to quit biking, accidents do happen.  Biking has the added fuckup that you normally experience pain with those accidents but it's amazing how much aware you become after an off.

Tankslappers - there's been a recent discussion (last week, can't remember what section) on tankslappers and what to doe, just hit the search button - Kamanya made a couple of very good points there.  Bottom line is that the tankslapper is initiated by the front wheel that get's disturbed, gets more amplified through the handlebars and eventually starts throwing throwing you into the slapping motion - especially when you start death gripping. Best is to just relax the arms and if you can, just take your hands of the handlebars - it will straighten out almost immediately.

Relax (no pun intended) and start slowly again - nothing like experience :mwink:

ill ask the newby question, what are the causes of a tankslap, ive heard the term...but thats about all...

Dink aan n 'speed wobble' met jou chopper bicycle :biggrin:
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2010, 07:59:20 pm »

No need to quit biking, accidents do happen.  Biking has the added fuckup that you normally experience pain with those accidents but it's amazing how much aware you become after an off.

Tankslappers - there's been a recent discussion (last week, can't remember what section) on tankslappers and what to doe, just hit the search button - Kamanya made a couple of very good points there.  Bottom line is that the tankslapper is initiated by the front wheel that get's disturbed, gets more amplified through the handlebars and eventually starts throwing throwing you into the slapping motion - especially when you start death gripping. Best is to just relax the arms and if you can, just take your hands of the handlebars - it will straighten out almost immediately.

Relax (no pun intended) and start slowly again - nothing like experience :mwink:

ill ask the newby question, what are the causes of a tankslap, ive heard the term...but thats about all...

ah, ja , nou verstaan ek, ligte hande, soos as jy vry.ry
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:00:10 pm by laurika »

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Gypsybaron

• It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go.
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2010, 08:04:39 pm »
TG, voor jy so iets drasties doen soos om op te hou ry, kry eerder vir jou 'n steering damper soos die superbikes op het, miskien kan iemand so iets ontwerp wat jy kan afhaal as jy offroad gaan - dalk net 2 boutjies losmaak?

Ek mag dalk fatalisties klink, maar ek glo as jou tyd daar is, is hy daar. Joune was nog nie daar nie, jy is net 'n wake-up call gegee. Jy moet nog eendag jou kleinkinders leer bike ry!

Sterkte, hou jou oog op daardie wonde dat hulle gou en goed gesond word!.
J
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

Offline Hondsekierie

« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2010, 08:17:22 pm »

ah, ja , nou verstaan ek, ligte hande, soos as jy vry.ry

Net so jou ou grapjas :imaposer:

Offline Crowley

« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2010, 08:36:39 pm »
TG,
Look at it is hard earned experience. What you need to do after an accident is get through the mental trauma and figure out how you are going to use what have happened to you. You can either use it as a mental bock or you can go forward and look at the positive side. (Looking at what you wrote you are already heading in that direction.) Learn out of the experience and use it to make you a better rider.

Think about how you fix your mental outlook for yourself so that the accident doesn’t bother you. If it means putting a steering damper on your bike so that you start to trust the bike and your own abilities then do it. Also think about doing some training courses, it is helps a lot to regain confidence in your abilities.

Good luck with the healing.     

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2010, 08:42:08 pm »
When I went down, i used the wounds to help me decide what extra atgatt to get.
1st off set of knee guards
Still need some boots that'll pass for work shoes
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Kaptein Bos

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:55 pm »
Hey jy kan nie nou quit nie ons het nog nie daai Magalies trip kla gemaak nie! :) en wat van Sani en transkei?? :) en en en...:) en wie ga die ride reports doen? En die kiekies neem? Nee kak jy ga nog ry! Jy is deel van die rede hoekom ek weer begin het! By the way Fanie het sy learners gedop! :) dink hoe lank ga hy nou nog bike soek!!:) praat binnekort:)   

Offline JustBiking

• Old Boys Club
  • Highveld, Centurion
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
Tankgirl,

Glad you're out and getting better.....

had a long and hard time to think about everything (sort of re-evaluating my priorities like) it's a difficult time because i'm not a drastic decision maker, but say now if i wanna have grandkids oneday it's safer that i quit biking, because i'm just not scared enough of it, or i'm

Interesting question... well let me say this.... in the first week of Dec TravelGravel got knocked over by a bakkie with a trailer on the N1 (Brakfontein Interchange). A bit of damage to the bike but from an injury point of view bruising on the left upper arm , knees and and being stiff. Then 3 days later she walks out on the patio, slips and hit her head and suffered from concussion and whiplash. It's been 2 months and it not completely sorted yet...

What I am trying to say is that you don't need to be on a bike to get hurt. Accidents happen full stop bike or no bike.

Get well soon
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying........."Damn..We F*cked Up" - Anon.

Hondsiff Honda

« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:13 pm »
Keep it on the dirt hiways and off the N1,

I took out a nice life policy for my wife now I can ride like a hooligan and not worry too much :thumleft:

hope you feel better soon!

Offline Hondsekierie

« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »

I took out a nice life policy for my wife now I can ride like a hooligan and not worry too much :thumleft:

On your life or her's? :biggrin:

Hondsiff Honda

« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »

On your life or her's? :biggrin:

SKERP :thumleft:   ;D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:12:42 pm by Pistonslap »

Offline TTMAN

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • I reserve the right to change my mind
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2010, 10:28:36 pm »
Yolandi

Bly om te hoor jy is uit.  Ek weet jy sal weer ry.  EK moet alles uithaal om by jou te bly op die N12 se padverleggings vanaf Boegoeberg so ek weet jy KAN ry.  Beter as ek - nie dat dit veel se nie.

Sterkte Girl

Dink aan jou in jou pyn en lyding.
Voorheen GS-Dawid

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »
Hi Tankgirl

Great to hear that you have escaped and are safe in your hideout. Hope the injuries heal quick.

When I broke my leg in December I went through quite a couple of emotions. At first I was angry, then worried and then kind of resolved. I also wondered about this biking hobby long and hard, but I just cannot see myself turning my back on biking. The thing is, there are lots of dangers in the world, and we must just try to live with them. (Like wearing ATGATT).
Anyways, just being part of the group of people called the Wild Dogs makes it worth the while, so I hope you're still going to join us riding!

Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2010, 11:15:50 pm »
TH glad you are out and about .....

and so true what Leondude said you have made and met so many wonderful people on this forum.. that open up new horizons .....hope to hear from you soon on the road...

This is an AWSUM community....... :mwink:

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:28 am »
Good to hear you're Out .  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline tankgirl

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2010, 06:41:24 pm »
not really a thread i want to bring back up but i have a few pics to share
the scene
handguard, lever and brake fluid thingie bust, scratches to the rest
handlebars not quite facing in the direction i'm going
grab handle, twisted platic and empty disc holder
bent subframe, footpeg fuct, pillion peg sommer gone
radiator shroud, silver and yellow plastics scratched
my massive bouquet - the dogs are incredible
olive oil & 63magic popped in too with chocolates
lekker feet up in the air
comfeel stickers everywhere
taken yesterday, most bandages / plasters removed now
roast leg, still just a little pink
removed plasters today, spotless new skin YAY!
this was the ankle on monday, seeing doc again tomoz

waiting for a quotation and then the insurance assessor will make their decision...
i can't wait to get back in the saddle
how hot is this bike?!  ;D

i'm my parents' only child so what i'll do is just to be as careful as i can be because i think not riding will just kill me faster...

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »
einna bliksem that looks sore....hope u get well soon and up on a bike asap.... :thumleft:
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »
Ouch - bloody bloody ouch!

Sorry to see there's so much damage to the bike, not to mention yourself, but very glad you are alive!

Heal quick!
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2010, 06:56:51 pm »
bloody hell....glad to see your french pedi is still looking fab!!!!

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Padrone

• Bike: Ural (all models)
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2010, 06:59:55 pm »
TG hang in there girl. After my accident that broke my left leg halfway below the knee in what they call a green break, after 6 months of the break not knitting even with a steel pin and a bone graft and subsequent bone infection read gangreen the doc wanted to amputate it below the knee. I refused went to Cape Town to a guy who came highly recc. and 7 months later I still had 2 legs and riding a bike. Hang in there girl !!!!!!!!
Don't pick a fight with an old man.If he is too old to fight,he'll just kill you.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for"
Bikes in my garage
The Pig has left the sty.
1982 Suzuki 500DRS 2004 KLR  650    Sold Yamaha ST First edition 2012 Ural Gearup