Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Last minute trip to South Africa/Swaziland/Moz  (Read 894 times)

Offline dcs3

Last minute trip to South Africa/Swaziland/Moz
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:34:40 pm »
Hey all-

I'm a half-yank/half-canuck living in Washington DC.  I'm just getting into adventure riding- although I ride street almost every day (on a Triumph speed triple :D)  and grew up riding/racing offroad in the northwest of the USA.  Came to this site from advrider.com.  

Just learned I'll be spending 1 week in Maputo, Moz and another week split between Mbabane, swaziland and Johannesburg (a work trip). I arrive in Moz on January 25th, I should be free from work in Joburg on Friday Feb 9. I plan to take 3-5 days of personal time from Feb 10th onwards in either Johannesburg or Cape Town. Does anyone have a recommendation for a motorcycle tour operator or rental agency? For a tour i would prefer off-road, but am open to everything. Very last minute trip, I hope i can get some riding in!

Thanks

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Last minute trip to South Africa/Swaziland/Moz
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:40:32 pm »
Quote from: "dcs3"
Hey all-

I'm a half-yank/half-canuck living in Washington DC.  I'm just getting into adventure riding- although I ride street almost every day (on a Triumph speed triple :D)  and grew up riding/racing offroad in the northwest of the USA.  Came to this site from advrider.com.  

Just learned I'll be spending 1 week in Maputo, Moz and another week split between Mbabane, swaziland and Johannesburg (a work trip). I arrive in Moz on January 25th, I should be free from work in Joburg on Friday Feb 9. I plan to take 3-5 days of personal time from Feb 10th onwards in either Johannesburg or Cape Town. Does anyone have a recommendation for a motorcycle tour operator or rental agency? For a tour i would prefer off-road, but am open to everything. Very last minute trip, I hope i can get some riding in!

Thanks

I think I replied to you 30 seconds ago on ADV.

Welsh  :D  :D  :D
Hell hath no Fury, Like a Wife with NO SMOKES!!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:03:12 am »
Well, for those of us who are NOT active on ADV, care to enlighten us?

dcs3 - with a valid international license - I might just be able to hook you up with a bike for a day or three - as long as you're not too prejudiced about what you're riding.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:03:20 am »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"
Well, for those of us who are NOT active on ADV, care to enlighten us?

dcs3 - with a valid international license - I might just be able to hook you up with a bike for a day or three - as long as you're not too prejudiced about what you're riding.

Nah, IDR, actually all I did was direct him here, but he got here before I got the message through.

Welsh  :D  :D  :D

Offline dcs3

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 12:50:43 am »
Thanks for the advice, and the offer IDR.  I am now planning on doing a 3 day tour out of Port Elizabeth- tour operator is Cherry Adventures.  http://www.cherryadventures.co.za/

They provide all equipment - which very nice as i don't want to be lugging my gear around northern Mozambique  for a week.  Very reasonable prices as well.  Let me know if anyone knows anything about the tour operator - I still need to confirm dates with them and make a reservation.  I still may try to take you up on your offer IDR - and no I don't care what i ride.

If anyone on the board is based in Maputo I'll be there from Jan 28 to Feb 3, I'm always in for beers, i'll buy first round.

shark_za

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:38:00 am »
Mike Glover of Red Cherry Adventures is well known and respected in the biking community. One of my living legends with a pickled liver and constant thirst, Russell Campbell, personally suggested him so I am a believer.

They sponsor the national offroad race in the area with the Rover Club, the "Red Cherry 400".
Recently they helped put together that enduro Africa trip where people rode AG200 bikes all over the Transkei, afterwards they donated the bikes to doctors in Africa.

Maybe its cos they have Kawasaki KLR650's that I also have a soft spot for them.
I'm helping a dude kit up to ride a KLR650 from SA across Africa to Cairo then on to Amsterdam right now, Mike even sold us a long range tank off one of his bikes as we could not order one in time from the USA.
Hows that for upstanding.

Enjoy the Moz jaunt, I love it out there.
Send me a PM and maybe I could hook you up with some of my mates there, give tips and advice on the area.

bobnob

prices not bad
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:52:06 am »
prices not bad....

just remember that distances in south africa is huge so you can easily do a 1000km + per day

but you probably wanna do the touristy thing and see the sight and stuff then this should not be an issue

but then again having $ and not R means non of this matters anyway so go for it...

searching the net i found this not sure how valid it is but they have nice array of bikes as well and looks as if you can rent one in say joburg and return it in cape town

http://www.hctravel.com/sarent.htm

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:05:07 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"

I'm helping a dude kit up to ride a KLR650 from SA across Africa to Cairo then on to Amsterdam right now, Mike even sold us a long range tank off one of his bikes as we could not order one in time from the USA.
Hows that for upstanding.

Hijack on.
 "Hey Sharkie" when is your mate going, I will probably be dragging Brian Bailey along on Friday, it might be interesting for them to discuss ideas as Brian also intends going via Cairo I think.  
Hijack off

Welsh  8)

Offline dcs3

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 05:19:48 pm »
Looks like a no-go on the tour....i would need to find 3 other riders to go along with me... :dontknow:

IDR I'll PM you for details on your offer (assuming it still stands).

Offline bud500

May the bridges I burn light the way...