Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Work trip to South Africa!  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Work trip to South Africa!
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2006, 06:34:02 pm »
Quote from: "Cane Rat"
Jip, January to March in KZN is HOT. Humidity is the killer here, but I've been here for 19 years and I'm still alive. If you are used to heat, this should not be too bad.

There are quite a few parks in the north of KZN. We have Mkuze, Hluhluwe-Umfolozi and Ithala. These are the big ones although not as big as the Kruger. Ithala is known as the "Jewel" of KZN parks and is very diverse.

Another place you should consider visiting is the Baviaans Kloof (Eastern Cape). It is close to Die Hel and, I believe, well worth the time. From what I've read so-far, it's awesome. We are planning to go there in December. I will post a report after then.

I have a friend that use to work for KZN Wildlife. I'm not sure if he's on E-mail, but I'll find out and let you know. He will be able to help with information.

Good luck with your plans.

Can we have this post redirected to the Necrophlia section, wow over 3 months on and a resurection?

I did some commisioning /trouble shooting in Richards Bay a couple of years ago in late January, this was not sweating, I was melting, my cell phone stopped working, I was dripping into it too much!

Welsh
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Jaqhama

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2006, 04:19:21 pm »
It might take you awhile to walk/ride around the Rift Valley Leon old son.

What Is the Rift Valley?
Africa's Great Rift Valley is a 6,000-mile crack (fissure) in the earth's crust, stretching from Lebanon to Mozambique. One of its most dramatic sections slices through East Africa, dividing Kenya into two segments. Geologists know that the Rift Valley was formed by violent subterranean forces that tore apart the earth's crust. These forces caused huge chunks of the crust to sink between parallel fault lines and force up molten rock in volcanic eruptions. Evidence that this process, called rifting, is still in progress comes from the many active and semi-active volcanoes, located along the Rift. Evidence of volcanic activity along the rift is provided by the presence of numerous boiling hot springs.

Hmmm...In Leon's defence I will say that I thought the Rift Valley was an actual one point location myself. Until I did a google.
Like the Serengeti.
I've seen a couple of tv doco's claiming homo sapiens evolved in the Rift Valley...they don't happen to mention the Rift stretches from one side of the Continent to the other. :roll:
We get all our info from movies like Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, ya know. :lol:
(Actually I got all mine from H. Rider Haggard's novels.)

Ummm....Leon...I was thinking of ZA next year mate...any chance you can put me down on the NPWS expense account as "extra baggage"? :D
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline Leon H

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2006, 04:18:26 am »
At the moment this trip is now very much on the backburner.  Since the cyclone and other events, my work program has been seriously re-arranged, and I have been promoted to a position of greater responsibility.  Still going to make the trip happen, but it definately won't be until after 2007......
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline Jaqhama

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 03:07:36 am »
Cyclone?

What cyclone?

I really should watch the news more.  :lol:

I seldom have the TV on in case you're wondering, it's a tool to keep the mindless in thrall.  :P
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 07:43:43 pm »
Quote from: "Jaqhama"
Cyclone?

What cyclone?

I really should watch the news more.  :lol:

I seldom have the TV on in case you're wondering, it's a tool to keep the mindless in thrall.  :P

Where,s Thrall is that near Adelaide?

Welsh  :?  :D
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?