Work trip to South Africa!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Guys,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Leon, I am from Townsville, Australia. I work for Queensland National Parks and Wildlife Service as a Wildlife Ranger here in North Queensland. In the course of my duties I go to many interesting wilderness type places, which is handy for me as I can then return later on my R1200GS and tear around to my hearts content. My Mrs often joins me on her KLE500, which I must admit is a little surprise package of a bike. I also race a ZXR400SP in the local road race series, which provides some mild thrills every couple of weeks or so. So I guess me in a nutshell is National Parks, Adventure Bikes, Road Racing - any of these 3 interest me.

I have been dreaming about riding around South Africa for a long time, but I abandoned the plan due to logistical, financial and family constraints. Then I had a brainwave - plan it into a work trip!

So the plan now is to head to RSA and do some wildlife research project work with National Parks for 6 weeks or so. At the moment I am busy with the process of organising such a trip with work at my end, but I am pretty keen to make some contacts at the RSA end who will be able to help me with the myriad of questions I will have during the planning of the trip.

The plan is to do some research work on either wild dogs or crocodiles ( I do a lot of crocodile work here in QLD) at one of the major national parks, then spend a couple of weeks touring around the place, probably by car (but bike would be better), seeing the sights. At the moment I have absolutely no idea where I want to go as I don't know what's there, I am kind of letting people advise me on where is the best spots.

I guess all I am looking for at the moment is some advice about nice places to visit, what time of year to visit, how to hire a car or bike, any areas I should avoid totally, stuff like that.

This trip is in it's very early stages of planning, but will occur in the next 12-18 months. I am pretty excited about it from both a professional and personal perspective, and I hope I get the chance to meet some of you RSA guys whose ride reports I enjoy so much.

Cheers

Leon :)