Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Work trip to South Africa!  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Leon H

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Work trip to South Africa!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 08:15:11 am »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Leon H
I am slightly concerned with your desire to work in Kruger National Park.
From what I'm told by friends in the Parks service, it is the worst place to work! GVI volunteers receive notoriusly bad treatment and foreign researchers usually have to pay big bucks for the honour of working in the park.

Perhaps you should consider the 'Kalahari Transfrontier Park' or 'Addo Elephant Park' instead. Also try to get in contact with 'The University of Pretoria' since they are the HQ for large mammal research in South Africa and can probably get you a grant or at least organise you a good placement.

It is something I will definately look in to.  One  hears so much about Kruger NP that one just assumes it is a great place to work and visit, but being subject to such interest and visitor pressure what you say does not suprise me.  It's a bit like Fraser Island here in Queensland.  It is a world heritage area and international people know about it and visit there, only to find it is a grade A shit hole full of inconsiderate visitors.  With the adive of you guys I will be on the right track for these not so touristy places.

Will email Uni of Pretoria people on Monday.

Another question - am I going to have trouble if I can't speak Afrikaans?  Beside some swearing and insults, takkies, bakkies and lekker I know none of the language.  Will this be a problem?

Cheers

Leon
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 08:38:19 am »
Quote from: "Leon H"

Another question - am I going to have trouble if I can't speak Afrikaans?  

all around the world there are people that are intolerant of others. most south africans don't mind foreigners (many are in fact from other places). if you do get into an altercation with someone you must try to calm the person down. a good phrase to remember is, "jou ma se proes straat pretoria". it is pronounced, "joe mar sa poos". it is a compliment and can be used anywhere, especially at the dinner table or when greeting strangers.

if you need any other etiquette tips let me know.
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 08:42:11 am »
i just thought of another great compliment,
"jow sissie buk vir bukstearna om a hoor hays te bow"
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 09:02:19 am »
Quote from: "toucan"
a good phrase to remember is, "jou ma se proes straat pretoria". it is pronounced, "joe mar sa poos".
I agree, It should put you in good stead with the locals. No conversation is complete without at least one person using that delightful phrase.

Another good one is "Gaan kaak in dee boss" (the 'G' is pronounced gutterally like the 'ch' in the scottish 'Loch'. Customs officials at Johannesburg airport will squeel with delight if you use this term in greeting.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 05:21:20 pm »
I am amazed how friendly Lucky Striker and Toucan are being, giving you intimate knowledge of our ways here. Good on you guys, its whats been asked of us from our premiers and president. You make me proud!

When you get up to the parks especially (I worked in the SADF  - SAfrican Defence Force) in the Kruger, you are bound to meet up with Afrikaaners and Black folk who speak different languages. Theres sotho, zulu, xhosa (pronounce like when you call a horse - a click with your tongue sound - *click* horsa - dead serious) and others.

A great greeting to men in particular, the men are the patriarchs, and sit on their arses half the time, the woman must do the work (great hey?!) is something like - "Ek wil jou naai" in Afrikaans. In Zulu/Xhosa (which are similar), you can say - mena funa patla patla. You are pretty much guaranteed big smiles with that one. It is considered rude not to use fingers when doing so - so you must gesture - from me to you - when speaking to men. Dont try this with woman...  :shock:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 05:24:30 pm »
Leon H, I think youre on the right track. You have your timing right, LS is right about the park, and theres all sorts of stuff.

Bakkies Takkies eh? Didya know that we have a Bakkies Botha in our rugby team? You must check me up if you think I am pulling the piss. Imagine calling your son - utility vehicle...  :roll:

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 05:26:10 pm »
Ye, I agree. The finger thing just conveys the sentiment must more. It is all about respect. "Ek wil jou naai" is the best way to tell someone you respect them, and sure, they will respect you back.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Leon H

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 04:42:27 am »
Ok I think I'm getting the hang of this.

I am racing in Townsville this afternoon, and the Clerk of the Course (dude who runs the meeting) is actually a South African ex-pat.  Now I have had trouble with this guy in the past and last year we had a big falling out over some racing stuff, and we called each other names.  But now you guys have solved that......

If I march into the control tower, place my hands on my hips and state in a loud clear voice "jou ma se proes straat pretoria" then back that up with some "jow sissie buk vir bukstearna om a hoor hays te bow", then I will have demonstrated a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity and all will be forgiven and we will have started off together on the road to reconcilliation! Or I will score a skop in the poepol (spelling?).

Either way I will give it a try in the spirit of international co-operation. :D

Leon
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2006, 08:36:42 am »
Dude

Trust me you don't want to be telling him that.....
KTM 1190 ADV R

shark_za

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 08:56:55 am »
Or you could get your wife to speak to him...

Just get her to say "Ek slaap rond"

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 08:59:21 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"

or even better

"Ek wil jou naai"
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 07:02:13 pm »
Quote from: "funacide"

or even better

"Ek wil jou naai"

All my Kak, and I bow in subservience to my superiors!

Welshie
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Leon H

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 04:05:07 am »
Hey LS does is your wife conducting research at the University of Pretoria now?  Would I be pushing my luck to ask if she knows the name of any people I could make contact with regarding upcoming field research technician opportunities?

I am now also considering the possibility of conducting an MSc project through a South African or Australian University, as I have learned that there is is a possibility that I may be able to jag some grant money.  It would be great to know more about peoples experiences on the research side of things.

Cheers

Leon

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2006, 09:22:51 am »
Hey LS...

My wife works for the University of Stellenbosch but has one or two contacts at Pretoria Uni. She is more into Botany than Zoology but she knows a few people who know a few people (You conservation folk tend to stick to your own kind and enjoy forming networks it seems :wink: ) Unfortunately she left this morning on a two week ant collecting project (monitoring climate change) in the Cederberg mountains. I will only be able to get in contact with her this coming weekend (I have the house to myself for two weeks, Whoo-hoo! Everyone is invited over for a party).
PM me your e-mail address if you like and I will forward you the names of one or two people as soon as I'm able.

Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
I am amazed how friendly Lucky Striker and Toucan are being, giving you intimate knowledge of our ways here.
Just for that you are not invited to the party George... :P

Offline Leon H

The plan is coming together......
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:15 am »
Hi all,

First thanks for all your great advice and feedback, it is a big help and a big encouragement.  When I arrive there will be beers for you guys.  Or some obscure Australian liquor purchased at the duy free shop if that tickles your fancy.  

So anyway, a plan is coming together.  My work is arranging for me a work placement with KZNNCS, which looks like it will include accommodation and a tour around the area looking at various wildlife management projects in the region.  I imagine the placement will be for about 2 months.  While I am there I will give some official presentations about wildlife management practices in Northern Queensland, thereby making the whole trip tax deductible :twisted: .  Once the placement is finished officially I will tour around the countryside for a few weeks.

I am still a little bit unsure about the timing, and this is where some counsel from you guys would be teriffic.  It is cheaper for me to buy a Round the World ticket ($1900) than a return ticket from Perth (I live on the east coast so getting there will be interesting) to Johannesburg( about $2300).  I am also flying to Canada over Christmas to visit my sister, which will also be expensive (about $2200).  So I was thinking of buying a RTW ticket and flying straight from Vancouver to Joburg to begin my placement.  The only issue then is that it puts me in RSA from January to March, and I am concerned about the weather then.  Will the weather be a big issue, bearing in mind I live in a pretty hot place now?  Here in Townsville from Spetember to April it rarely drops below 20 even at night, and during the day it is at least 30, often 35, and in December January it often cracks 40 degrees.  Am I going to sweat my arse out even more than I do here now, or is it not going to be too different at that time of year?

Cheers

Leon

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: The plan is coming together......
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 08:38:08 am »
Hi all,

First thanks for all your great advice and feedback, it is a big help and a big encouragement.  When I arrive there will be beers for you guys.  Or some obscure Australian liquor purchased at the duy free shop if that tickles your fancy.  

So anyway, a plan is coming together.  My work is arranging for me a work placement with KZNNCS, which looks like it will include accommodation and a tour around the area looking at various wildlife management projects in the region.  I imagine the placement will be for about 2 months.  While I am there I will give some official presentations about wildlife management practices in Northern Queensland, thereby making the whole trip tax deductible :twisted: .  Once the placement is finished officially I will tour around the countryside for a few weeks.

I am still a little bit unsure about the timing, and this is where some counsel from you guys would be teriffic.  It is cheaper for me to buy a Round the World ticket ($1900) than a return ticket from Perth (I live on the east coast so getting there will be interesting) to Johannesburg( about $2300).  I am also flying to Canada over Christmas to visit my sister, which will also be expensive (about $2200).  So I was thinking of buying a RTW ticket and flying straight from Vancouver to Joburg to begin my placement.  The only issue then is that it puts me in RSA from January to March, and I am concerned about the weather then.  Will the weather be a big issue, bearing in mind I live in a pretty hot place now?  Here in Townsville from Spetember to April it rarely drops below 20 even at night, and during the day it is at least 30, often 35, and in December January it often cracks 40 degrees.  Am I going to sweat my arse out even more than I do here now, or is it not going to be too different at that time of year?

Cheers

Leon

Jamuary to March is the hottest period and KZN has high humidity in that period, so yes you will sweat your butt off, but temperatures only in the low 30,s generally so you should be o.k. other areas, are lower humidity so much less of a problem.

Welshie
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2006, 10:28:38 pm »
Quote from: "funacide"

or even better

"Ek wil jou naai"

This is definately better said, if you say it yourself.

Go to this ol ex bawdy pain in the arse ZAfrica, and tell him - EK WIL JOU NAAI.

said: eck vil yo nigh.

its brilliants, and guaranteed to make the man forgive all trespasses and offfer you a beer.

en dan sal jy opgefok word.

that last part is just a friendly post greeting I thought you would like.

Cheers, Salut, Kiaora, that sort of thing

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2006, 10:29:46 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"

I am amazed how friendly Lucky Striker and Toucan are being, giving you intimate knowledge of our ways here.
Just for that you are not invited to the party George... :P

wasnt going to come anyway, you would probably lay your gs down and ask those around you to practice picking it up for you  :P

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2006, 08:37:28 am »
wasnt going to come anyway, you would probably lay your gs down and ask those around you to practice picking it up for you  :P

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Cane Rat

• Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Doing time in Angola
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2006, 08:21:42 am »
Jip, January to March in KZN is HOT. Humidity is the killer here, but I've been here for 19 years and I'm still alive. If you are used to heat, this should not be too bad.

There are quite a few parks in the north of KZN. We have Mkuze, Hluhluwe-Umfolozi and Ithala. These are the big ones although not as big as the Kruger. Ithala is known as the "Jewel" of KZN parks and is very diverse.

Another place you should consider visiting is the Baviaans Kloof (Eastern Cape). It is close to Die Hel and, I believe, well worth the time. From what I've read so-far, it's awesome. We are planning to go there in December. I will post a report after then.

I have a friend that use to work for KZN Wildlife. I'm not sure if he's on E-mail, but I'll find out and let you know. He will be able to help with information.

Good luck with your plans.
Wat ek is, is net genade.
Wat ek het, is net geleen!
(Koos du Plessis)