Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The BMW X-Challenge Thread  (Read 92606 times)

Offline Roulof

Re: The BMW X-Challenge Thread
« Reply #1720 on: February 26, 2019, 08:58:26 am »
Morning All,

So my BMX doesn't want to start...

The motor turns overs, but doesn't sound like it wants to fire.  My first thought was to check the side stand switch. 

The switch itself is not connected to the side stand, rather just wired and connected to a point on the frame.  I disconnected it completely and connected the red/brown wires, the relay on top of/close to the fuel tank, makes a clicking noise but nothing else (I also tried the red/white combination - but nothing happens).   

As far as I can remember, the fuel pump is supposed to come on with ignition but I can't hear it starting?  Might it be the relay?

My last option would then be to clutch switch before taking it in, but the neutral light comes on (when in neutral) which should mean that the bike will start in N - so I'm assuming that is not the issue.  Anyone have any idea on where the clutch switch is located?  I'll check this afternoon on RepRom if it is clearly shown.

Any ideas in general?

Then, I want to install a light switch.  I was thinking to use the blanked ABS switch point as mine does not have ABS.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Turned out to be the fuel relay which was giving all the issues.

Then I have  a broken tailpiece on my BMX which I want to get rid of (for free - just collect), anybody interested?

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #1721 on: March 20, 2019, 06:31:26 pm »
So yesterday the bike was fine as always. Then this morning I switched on the ignition and all the usual lights came on, but before I could press the starter they just went out again.
Then, nothing. Like Eskom.

Keeps on doing the same repeatedly. I'm a dummy at finding obscure electrical/electronic faults and I'm not even looking right now 'cos I'm too sore from this mornings tumble, but when I can I'll poke and jiggle things around, Meanwhile, advice and suggestions please?

Online lone riderer

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • travel.
« Reply #1722 on: March 20, 2019, 09:02:37 pm »
So yesterday the bike was fine as always. Then this morning I switched on the ignition and all the usual lights came on, but before I could press the starter they just went out again.
Then, nothing. Like Eskom.

Keeps on doing the same repeatedly. I'm a dummy at finding obscure electrical/electronic faults and I'm not even looking right now 'cos I'm too sore from this mornings tumble, but when I can I'll poke and jiggle things around, Meanwhile, advice and suggestions please?
Check the battery. Even if it reads fine, swop it out and test. The only issues I've ever had were bad batteries, even if they seem fine on the multimeter.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #1723 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:42 am »
Yip. agree.  That will be battery.  Or the terminals are loose.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1724 on: April 18, 2019, 10:47:52 am »
I am investigating having front brake discs lazer-cut for the X-Challenge - anyone else interested if I can get it done - bulk is always cheaper?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1725 on: April 18, 2019, 10:54:04 am »
Next question - does the Xc have a dedicated Indicator Flasher Relay, or is it built into the dash?
I want to change to LED, I assume I have to change the relay?

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline SteveD

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1726 on: April 18, 2019, 11:02:26 am »
Next question - does the Xc have a dedicated Indicator Flasher Relay, or is it built into the dash?

Built into the dash. The easiest for me was just adding resistors when I changed to LED. I used Barkbusters resistors that Flying Brick had in their store, but I’ve seen similar in many stores.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1727 on: April 18, 2019, 11:04:34 am »

Built into the dash. The easiest for me was just adding resistors when I changed to LED. I used Barkbusters resistors that Flying Brick had in their store, but I’ve seen similar in many stores.

the resistors are added per line, correct? So four needed? Any idea what Ohm?

Offline SteveD

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1728 on: April 20, 2019, 09:11:18 am »
the resistors are added per line, correct? So four needed? Any idea what Ohm?

I used four of these:
https://barkbusters.net/products/accessories-spare-parts/4923-led-res-001/
10 ohm each

Online lone riderer

• travel.
« Reply #1729 on: April 23, 2019, 02:08:24 pm »
I am investigating having front brake discs lazer-cut for the X-Challenge - anyone else interested if I can get it done - bulk is always cheaper?

I may be keen on a rear disk..
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Online lone riderer

• travel.
« Reply #1730 on: April 23, 2019, 02:10:22 pm »

I put had put LEDs in the rear when I did my DIY tail tidy. It flashes a bit faster now. Meh.

Offline alwyn_gs

• Gelände/Strasse - Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC)
  • With my loving wife, Michelle - let's do this!!
« Reply #1731 on: April 23, 2019, 02:19:46 pm »

I put had put LEDs in the rear when I did my DIY tail tidy. It flashes a bit faster now. Meh.

On the X Moto also fitted LED indicators, no relay - flashing little faster... like lone rider said - meh
RR:Sani 2013, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=131550.0, Honeymoon 2014 http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=153612.0
Livinstone Lite 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=162532.0, Om Lesotho 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=168999.0
Skoeters : Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC), Military Fuel Tanker (R1200GSA AC 142 690km - decommisioned)
G650XMoto, G650XCountry-pilotted by Michelle

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1732 on: April 23, 2019, 02:48:25 pm »

On the X Moto also fitted LED indicators, no relay - flashing little faster... like lone rider said - meh

Shot, II'll give it a whirl tonight maybe!

Offline Aprilian

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • 1200 BMX
« Reply #1733 on: April 26, 2019, 07:12:09 am »
I have a rear side mounted 7.5 litre aluminum tank for sale. Anyone looking for permanent fuel range extender? I can Whatsapp pics to the interested.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Surely if I was obsessed with motorcycles I’d have more than one; no two; no three; no no, four… ah, never mind…

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1734 on: April 26, 2019, 07:57:58 am »
I have a rear side mounted 7.5 litre aluminum tank for sale. Anyone looking for permanent fuel range extender? I can Whatsapp pics to the interested.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

PM me a price?