Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: K@k KTM service  (Read 2952 times)

Offline peter stuyvesant

K@k KTM service
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:39:13 pm »
Took my 950 into KTM Cape Town for it's 15000km service. Bill comes to R2027,00 with filters and oil. Walk into my garage today and find oil drops on the floor, remove bash plate and find it covered in oil. The leak is at the oil filter. Bolts are tight but oil's pissing out. Obviously decided to save R2,00 and use the old o-ring/gasket.
I wonder if the leak is included in the R2027,00?

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
K@k KTM service
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:52 pm »
I hate to lament on the Beemer issue, but I can't resist, BMW oil filter kits come complete with a new rubber seal as well as new washers for all the oil plugs. 8)  8)
Speak to CO, he wants to castrate the dudes at KTM in CT, they used the wrong fluid in his clutch system...... :evil:  :evil:
But again, this does not make the bike k@k, just a k@k service provider.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:45:27 pm »
Just a question, but what are the service intervals on these Katooms?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
K@k KTM service
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:48 pm »
Hi Adventurer, the service intervals for the 950 is 7500Km. +- every 4 months for me.

It makes me F.......king angry with what is going on. I spoke to them about 6 months ago about this service thing and they promised all was sorted, new mechanics etc but now to hear things like this  :evil: . Had my 15000Km service done the begining of Dec and no problems  :)  but still makes you wonder when other people are complaining. WTF is going on.  :twisted:  :twisted:  What is so difficult in doing a proper job  :?:

Offline Katoom

• Race Dog
KTM service
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:30:29 pm »

With all due respect mate "Did you ask them?"
What is Stuart's view on this?
Look, in the past there was some issues, but it is clear the Stuart has jumped in and is pulling things back together.

For instance: Friend of mine bought a new 990 07 model. Within the first 1000Km the bike had a clutch failure. Stuart replaced the bike with a new one, no questions asked.

They have serviced my bike from new, and to date I have not had any problems.

I'm sure i'd be pissed off if the oil leak k@k happened to me, but I reackon you should take it up with KTM WC first. I'm sure you'll be sorted out.
Life's too short.

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
K@k KTM service
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:39:31 pm »
If I were to buy a KTM (thinking of a 640 Adv)it would probably be at Proaction Butch Hirsch Paulshof due to location, are there any gauteng based KTM riders here with experience from this dealer, if so how's the service?
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline Leo

K@k KTM service
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:06:17 pm »
Always had my 360 serviced there.

Never paid less than R1.7K for a service.  :oops:

......until once they forgot to fasten the clamps on the radiator hoses, which left we in the middle of the desert during the Desert Run.

Never been back.....sold the bike, doubt if I'll ever buy a Katoom again  :wink:

This was about 6 years ago when the famous Ralp (mechanic to Alfie) was still the head mechanic. Maybe things have changed now.....or at least let me rephrase that........... I hope things have changed now  :roll:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
K@k KTM service
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 08:32:15 pm »
I hope this get sorted. KTM has got mean bikes and I for one are a huge 640 admirer. Might get one in the future. Very distant future I must add. Finances does not always play along.

I am not technically blessed. I need to know my service network is reliable.

That's me.  :oops: Other's can overhaul a complete bike in the middle of the desert. 8)
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline peter stuyvesant

Re: KTM service
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 08:35:13 pm »
Quote from: "Katoom"

With all due respect mate "Did you ask them?"
What is Stuart's view on this?
Look, in the past there was some issues, but it is clear the Stuart has jumped in and is pulling things back together.

For instance: Friend of mine bought a new 990 07 model. Within the first 1000Km the bike had a clutch failure. Stuart replaced the bike with a new one, no questions asked.

They have serviced my bike from new, and to date I have not had any problems.

I'm sure i'd be pissed off if the oil leak k@k happened to me, but I reackon you should take it up with KTM WC first. I'm sure you'll be sorted out.

Stand up for them as much as u like, but for me something like this is unacceptable.What happens when the motor seizes?
I have to ride 50km's to their shop, get a lift back and same story to collect bike again. If the bike was'nt under warranty, I'd take the bike somewhere else.
I will take this up with Stuart tomorrow, but for now I'm just letting the forum guys know what the story is. Do u find it acceptable for a qualified mechanic to change a filter and not check the bike afterwards?
I have a factory to run and don't have time during the week to run up and down to Cape Town from Somerset West.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:27:20 pm »
And here we go again...... :D  :D  :D  :D BMW dealers fetch AND deliver........ :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Sorry to hear about your k@k, PS, I handed in Peaches's mirror in today and asked for a warranty replacement/refund. Let's see what happens.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:23:20 pm »
7500 kays to a service, @ R2K+ each time?
So at 30 000kays that would be 4 services at a cost of around R8K.
BMW service at 10 000kays @ a cost of R1.5K, so at 30 000kays your cost is around R4.5K. Man, you gotta really smaak a KTM to own one!
But I guess it's better than some of thos superbikes that get serviced every 3000kays, at a crazy price!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
K@k KTM service
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:39:52 pm »
We often hear about this kind of rubbish low grade mechanic work, fact is if you pay somebody that amount of money for a service NOTHING LEAKS!

What is the labour rate you guy's get charged at other KTM and BMW or any other place? Would be interesting to see.

PS phone them up and tell them to come fetch your bike you don't ride it with out oil.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Amazing
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:55:18 pm »
Amazing that the members of this forum allow themselves to get hauled along to this extent by a small little thing like a pinched o-ring.  So easy to fix and I am sure that the dealer will compensate you for the oil lost in the process of fixing (if any).  Yes, it should not happen.  But fix it man, work out what happened, give your delaer first right of fixing his own hassle and move on, if you don't want to touch a spanner.  What is this thread trying to achieve?  Stop all of us buying KTM?  Adventurer sounds like the chief of BMW sales, is this a marketing opportunity?  Shout your lungs out at the KTM dealer!  Sell the piece of sh*t.  Buy a BMW.

If you put the bike on its side, remove the cover and check out the o-ring (new or old), put it back without the o-ring slipping out the groove, you will save yourself a lot of travelling to and from the dealer.  A little bit of oil on the cover / o-ring surface will help.

Really......  How do you tackle a trip to nowhere if your technical ability stops short of sorting this out?  

You will find that if you handle this with your dealer in a positive manner, service levels will just improve in future.  This thread will get you nowhere.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
K@k KTM service
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 11:02:24 pm »
SGB don't get so worked up, Adventurer is not telling everybody to buy a BMW or that a KTM is shit, he said the dealer service is shit.

The point PS is making is he PAYED for a service and wants a decent job in return, not too much asked for?.
It is the general lack of qualified bike mechanics that aggravates the situation. Yes he needs to sort it out with the dealer, so that the dealer can explain to his mechanic the seriousness of the matter.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Oh yes....
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 11:24:35 pm »
"Man, you gotta really smaak a KTM to own one! "
Sounds a lot like dealer service???.....  This has nothing to do with KTM CT's service......  It is more related to calling me and every other KTM owner an idiot.

I agree that the oke paid and should be given value for money.  But posting the issue here and everyone shouting from a dizzy height without the facts, in my mind, is not contributing to addressing the issue at all.

I am saying: You have a hassle, go and get it sorted.  Make sure the person who stuffed it up knows and that you can go back next time without seeing the same issue.  

I still fail to see what the aim of this thread was in the first place.......
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
K@k KTM service
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 11:50:33 pm »
"Man, you gotta really smaak a KTM to own one! "
Sounds a lot like dealer service???..... This has nothing to do with KTM CT's service...... It is more related to calling me and every other KTM owner an idiot.

Valid point, the amount you pay for services if that is true is extremely high, albeit, my 40000km service was R1600, but my bike has a 10000km intervals, nothing to do with calling KTM people idiots. :roll:

To tell other people about bad dealer service might save another man some money, if it is based on fact's as also what happened with CO.

If Ps and many other people were in a situation where they could service their own bikes,which is not always possible, blowing off steam and letting people know about dealer service would never feature here.

Don't get so angry.  :D :wink:  :P

Offline peter stuyvesant

K@k KTM service
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 06:40:20 am »
Everyone seems to have heard about KTM wc kak service, so I was merely letting the guys know that nothings changed.
As for not wanting to pick up a spanner SGB, go get stuffed.I have probably done more mechanical breakdowns in Africa than you've done oil changes! Point is, why must I lie my bike down on it's side and swing spanners when I've just paid good money for KTM to do the job!!!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 07:36:58 am »
SGB, you REALLY need to find yourself a sense of humour, if you read my post properly you will see by the emoticons that my comments are said  tongue in cheek! Those that know me will know that I would love to own a KTM 990 as well as my Beemer, check this with Lito, but in all reality, if I pay for a service I EXPECT the job to be done properly, why should PS shlepp his scoot all the way back to CT at his own cost? If Beemer stuff up on my bike, the whole world will know about it, I work hard for my money as does PS, why should we accept bad workmanship? It sounds like you have shares in this KTM branch you so defend?
You might notice my post regarding the 'mirror replacement', if BMW don't come to the party, it WILL be posted here!
Lito loves finding things to chirp the BMW guys about, yet we all take this as it is meant, in good fun.
You sarcasticly comment that I am part of the BMW sales department, do you maybe work for KTM?

Offline koplamp

• Pack Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 07:39:50 am »
Quote from: "peter stuyvesant"
Everyone seems to have heard about KTM wc kak service, so I was merely letting the guys know that nothings changed.
As for not wanting to pick up a spanner SGB, go get stuffed.I have probably done more mechanical breakdowns in Africa than you've done oil changes! Point is, why must I lie my bike down on it's side and swing spanners when I've just paid good money for KTM to do the job!!!

Don't appologise my mate. I fully aggree with you. If the service you paid good, hard earned cash for is k@k, then go take them green ones back. Give them hell. It is a known fact, not only by other owners but admitted by other KTM owners. KTM WC's service is the worst in the world. I heard of a guy who bought a brand new Katoom from them. The PDI they did was so useless, it resulted in them having to replace the bike before the first 1000 km service. I have also heard of shortcut jobs resulting in breakdowns and I have a KTM rider mate who says he wouldn't ride a KTM from them if they gave it to him for free.

There are problems there...that is for sure.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
K@k KTM service
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 07:41:29 am »
And in the left corner......

:D  :D  :D

Man, I'm enjoying this thread. :D
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za