Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: K@k KTM service  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
K@k KTM service
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 07:47:24 am »
It is truly sad that such a lekker bike's reputation can be stuffed by dealerships and their workshops. Look at the Dakar race, 690 Katooms all the way, backed up by mechanics that CAN. Where are all the good mechanics in this country?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline koplamp

• Pack Dog
Re: Oh yes....
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 07:53:26 am »
Quote from: "SGB"
"Man, you gotta really smaak a KTM to own one! "
Sounds a lot like dealer service???.....  This has nothing to do with KTM CT's service......  It is more related to calling me and every other KTM owner an idiot.

I agree that the oke paid and should be given value for money.  But posting the issue here and everyone shouting from a dizzy height without the facts, in my mind, is not contributing to addressing the issue at all.

I am saying: You have a hassle, go and get it sorted.  Make sure the person who stuffed it up knows and that you can go back next time without seeing the same issue.  

I still fail to see what the aim of this thread was in the first place.......

SGB, what is the purpose of this forum if it is not for riders of all brands of bikes to share and discuss their experiences. If a rider paid a shitload of money (R 2 K is a heap) for a service and the dealer didn't even take the time to replace the copper seal, then there is good reason for him to tell other riders. The only idiot is he who denies that there is a problem when there is a huge puddle of oil lying under his bike.  :cyclopsani:

Perhaps the purpose of that is to convince other riders not to complain about what they get or for KTM riders not to buy or service their bikes at KTM WC - each of us can decide for ourselves. All I know is that this sort of thread serves to illustrate that a good brand of bike can be made really k@k by bad service and support. Before you can fix a problem, you have to admit that it is there. If we have more of this kind of reactions, perhaps you'd see and improvement in their service and a increase of orange thunderbolts on our roads. What is the matter with that? :thumbleft:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Shoo
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:34 am »
Ja PS, I am not claiming superior mechanical ability at all.  And I am sure you know exactly how many oil change I have done.  Good for you.

My attitude in dealing with my service providers at Toyota, BMW, KTM and others is that if they make a stuff-up, they will be first to know and they will have first option of fixing it, all with the relevant financial compensation either way where applicable.  In my business I expect the same - tell me if you are unhappy, tell others if you are happy.  And I will bend over backwards and immediately sort out, whatever it takes.  I just need to know!  If you tell all your friends and sit around spitting fire about how bad I am, I cannot help you because I don't know.  

Your oil filter o-ring (not copper washer) is leaking.  It could be the old one they did not replace or the new one if it was replaced like it should be.  They probably just did not put the cap back properly and the o-ring slipped out of the groove. The same thing has happened before.  Anybody can make a mistake.  Correct the mistake - jump down the mechanic's throat if it is gross negligence.  But I still question the relevance of the thread and the reaction (All immediately shout BAD SERVICE) for a very small issue.

So look at the situation from the other side too.  Decide what you expect from the dealer and tell him.  And if they don't do their thing, by all means, go elsewhere.  I just generally have a positive attitude to life and I cannot handle negative talk in smoking corners and the like, which is not going to solve a problem.  I have seen many sub-standard jobs at various dealers (including BMW by the way).  I agree that we have a lack of skill all over.  But I have always received the best service by not raising my voice, and I have never backed off before I was happy.  That is just who I am, take it or leave it.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
K@k KTM service
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 08:36:01 am »
Have a look at these 2 threads and you will see the prblems we have here, personaly I think they are short staffed. If  i'm not mistaken there is 1 mechanic and an appi/tool person (pc). When they serviced my bike in dec it took 1 day, the week before it took 4 days to do CO bike ?

http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2977&highlight=ktm+service

http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2856&highlight=ktm+service

SGB, I wish I knew the ins and outs of a 950's motor, but to be honest it is above my knowledge, but if something happen out in the sticks I would be able to get myself going again BUT if you pay for a service and they do not do a proper job then they need to brought to book. It's all to do with trust. Sevice my bike(only KTMWC can due to warrenty) but do a proper job and have the staff that is capable of doing the job ie trained KTM mechs.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 08:41:55 am »
Quote from: "koplamp"

SGB, what is the purpose of this forum if it is not for riders of all brands of bikes to share and discuss their experiences. If a rider paid a shitload of money (R 2 K is a heap) for a service and the dealer didn't even take the time to replace the copper seal, then there is good reason for him to tell other riders. The only idiot is he who denies that there is a problem when there is a huge puddle of oil lying under his bike.  :cyclopsani:

Perhaps the purpose of that is to convince other riders not to complain about what they get or for KTM riders not to buy or service their bikes at KTM WC - each of us can decide for ourselves. All I know is that this sort of thread serves to illustrate that a good brand of bike can be made really k@k by bad service and support. Before you can fix a problem, you have to admit that it is there. If we have more of this kind of reactions, perhaps you'd see and improvement in their service and a increase of orange thunderbolts on our roads. What is the matter with that? :thumbleft:

Exactly right - lets share our experiences - the ones that bear relevance and can possibly benefit others on the forum.  Did this report cause you to avoid KTM WC in future?  Was that the purpose?
I do not deny the fact there is a problem.  If I was in that area, I would see it as convenient to have a dealer close by, and support them in any way I can to ensure that they are there for me in future.  And telling everyone else how bad they are before they even know I have a problem does not achieve that.  That is how I treat my providers and I am being looked after VERY well in return.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
K@k KTM service
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 08:44:48 am »
SGB:
So look at the situation from the other side too. Decide what you expect from the dealer and tell him. And if they don't do their thing, by all means, go elsewhere. I just generally have a positive attitude to life and I cannot handle negative talk in smoking corners and the like, which is not going to solve a problem. I have seen many sub-standard jobs at various dealers (including BMW by the way). I agree that we have a lack of skill all over. But I have always received the best service by not raising my voice, and I have never backed off before I was happy. That is just who I am, take it or leave it.

Thats why he started this thread, and why there is a forum like this, very valid point :)

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
K@k KTM service
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 08:53:15 am »
Quote from: "peter stuyvesant"
Everyone seems to have heard about KTM wc kak service, so I was merely letting the guys know that nothings changed.
As for not wanting to pick up a spanner SGB, go get stuffed.I have probably done more mechanical breakdowns in Africa than you've done oil changes! Point is, why must I lie my bike down on it's side and swing spanners when I've just paid good money for KTM to do the job!!!

Don't appologise my mate. I fully aggree with you. If the service you paid good, hard earned cash for is k@k, then go take them green ones back. Give them hell. It is a known fact, not only by other owners but admitted by other KTM owners. KTM WC's service is the worst in the world. I heard of a guy who bought a brand new Katoom from them. The PDI they did was so useless, it resulted in them having to replace the bike before the first 1000 km service. I have also heard of shortcut jobs resulting in breakdowns and I have a KTM rider mate who says he wouldn't ride a KTM from them if they gave it to him for free.

There are problems there...that is for sure.

He's not apologising, he's telling me to get stuffed.  Violent man....  Adventurer feels I should get a sense of humor.  You feel that "management by fear" will sort the problem out.  Give them hell....  I can see that I probably just live in a different world.  Lets agree to disagree and ride and have fun rather.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline koplamp

• Pack Dog
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 08:54:24 am »

Exactly right - lets share our experiences - the ones that bear relevance and can possibly benefit others on the forum.  Did this report cause you to avoid KTM WC in future?  Was that the purpose?
I do not deny the fact there is a problem.  If I was in that area, I would see it as convenient to have a dealer close by, and support them in any way I can to ensure that they are there for me in future.  And telling everyone else how bad they are before they even know I have a problem does not achieve that.  That is how I treat my providers and I am being looked after VERY well in return.

SCHWEET my bra. That's the spirit! Let every ouk decide for himself. We don't go out and burn the newspaper stand coz we don't like what they write. :thumbright: Let me see...ahh an old N-GIN quote: "Die troeth is not alweis the easiest fing to deal wif, but it still is die troeth".

Offline Kat

• Race Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 09:15:05 am »
Quote from: koplamp
Quote from: "peter stuyvesant"
The PDI they did was so useless, it resulted in them having to replace the bike before the first 1000 km service. I have also heard of shortcut jobs resulting in breakdowns and I have a KTM rider mate who says he wouldn't ride a KTM from them if they gave it to him for free.

There are problems there...that is for sure.

Just a correction,that faulty clutch was not related to a bad PDI inspection.
Koplamp that friend of us,seriosly wants to let his bike serviced at WC.
He's issue is the fact that none of WC mechanics are qualified to work on the 990.I do agree with him.

The mechanic issue does bother me also,I saw mech. come and go there lately.But I do agree that Stuart is willing to listen and  that he seriosly want's to improof.

......considering the $ of service.Buy yourselve a outboard ,have a look what they charge you.I did some rubberduck racing for 6 years,you can ask me.
KTM 990 Adv S

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
K@k KTM service
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 09:31:15 am »
Spoke to Skinny this morning about the services and dealers in the gauteng area her 950 is serviced by "The Roost" in Springs and is quite impressed by their attitude and service/price although it "are" in the eat rand :wink: I think if the time comes I'll give it a bash (not Born Again SHell)!
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline koplamp

• Pack Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 09:31:19 am »
My appolologililies my bra - it was a factory fualt then.  

So we sell them but we're not qualified to service them...definately no problem there then.  :roll:

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
K@k KTM service
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 10:19:16 am »
Quote from: "chrisB"
If I were to buy a KTM (thinking of a 640 Adv)it would probably be at Proaction Butch Hirsch Paulshof due to location, are there any gauteng based KTM riders here with experience from this dealer, if so how's the service?

Personal experience I stay away, first service was done by pro action and the twit that did the service thought it would be a good idea to oil the paper filter(think he must have been thinking about his next coffee break), rather put my dear beloved KTM on a trailer and take a trip to Nelspruit, leave it there for a week and pick it up spick and span, so far touch wood, no issues with their service as of yet, very professional and not badly priced either.

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 10:24:46 am »
Quote from: "CrazyPorra"
If I were to buy a KTM (thinking of a 640 Adv)it would probably be at Proaction Butch Hirsch Paulshof due to location, are there any gauteng based KTM riders here with experience from this dealer, if so how's the service?

Personal experience I stay away, first service was done by pro action and the twit that did the service thought it would be a good idea to oil the paper filter(think he must have been thinking about his next coffee break), rather put my dear beloved KTM on a trailer and take a trip to Nelspruit, leave it there for a week and pick it up spick and span, so far touch wood, no issues with their service as of yet, very professional and not badly priced either.

Thanks CP, much appreciated!

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 12:15:22 pm »

when looking to buy from them, make sure to take a match, because the only way to get attention in there is to set yourself alight. they look you up and down as you walk in the door, and if you dont look like KTM material, they ignore you flat-out - so i bought from chicanes.

this bunch INSISTED that oil bubbling up in the radiator was normal after 15000km. they replaced the radiator fluid, and after a week there was a new blob of oil in the radiator - so i sold the bike.

i love KTM's, but i think there are a few things, both mechanical and service related, that needs to be adressed before i'd buy one again.

ps. my services were just as expensive - K@K'n betaal!!!!

bobnob

crap
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:36 pm »
KTM is crap and BMW is crap

this would never have happend with a LONCIN Super Enduro!!!!!  :lol:

Kev

K@k KTM service
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
I think if the time comes I'll give it a bash (not Born Again SHell)!

Err... Bourne. And it rocks! BASH rules! :geek:

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 12:41:24 pm »
Quote from: "Kev"
I think if the time comes I'll give it a bash (not Born Again SHell)!

Err... Bourne. And it rocks! BASH rules! :geek:

That's what I meant! :oops: I'm not chairman of the DNA (National Dyslexic Association) for nothing... :wink:

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
K@k KTM service
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 01:03:11 pm »
Just for the record.... 8)

Were it not for the k@k service at KTM WC and the k@k seat I would be riding a KTM 950/990 today. Before buying my 1200GS I was not a BMW brand supporter but their service and backup made me change my mind.

To buy a bike just for the performance it delivers is silly and stupid. One must look at the whole package (sales, product, service, support etc)

Oh its just my option.... :wink:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
K@k KTM service
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 01:08:03 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"
And here we go again...... :D  :D  :D  :D BMW dealers fetch AND deliver........ :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Maybe in the big smoke Adv, not down here in Cape Town. Never heard of it, though it may happen. In all the services I have ever personally heard of or had to get on the bike, and this goes for my BMW friends - this has NEVER happened once.

7500 kays to a service, @ R2K+ each time?
So at 30 000kays that would be 4 services at a cost of around R8K.
BMW service at 10 000kays @ a cost of R1.5K....

Adv, this is a KTM WC thread, why bring BMW's into it? The thread title was focused, lets kak KTM WC out or what have you, without bringing other brands into it.

Adventurer sounds like the chief of BMW sales, is this a marketing opportunity?  Shout your lungs out at the KTM dealer!  Sell the piece of sh*t.  Buy a BMW.

Really......  How do you tackle a trip to nowhere if your technical ability stops short of sorting this out?  

You will find that if you handle this with your dealer in a positive manner, service levels will just improve in future.  This thread will get you nowhere.

ai jai jai.... SGB thinks the same as me - Adv and Tsiklonaut for BMW marketing president! haha - guys this is just a jibe.. nothing serious.

But SGB, the guy has a point, he wants great service when he is paying great rands. Nothing wrong with that at all. Theres no need for agression on either side, on a difference of opinion.

But I also agree - if you dont know how to fix a problem like this yourself, then you should learn. If you do know how, and just want bloody good service, then thats your complete right too.

Quote from: "michnus"
SGB don't get so worked up, Adventurer is not telling everybody to buy a BMW or that a KTM is sh*t, he said the dealer service is sh*t.

I think Adv mentioning BMW was unnecessary - how is it going to help KTM WC's service any? Its a direct comparison and thats the cause of SGB's frustration here - completely understandable.

Those that know me will know that I would love to own a KTM 990 as well as my Beemer, check this with Lito

its true.

Lito loves finding things to chirp the BMW guys about, yet we all take this as it is meant, in good fun.
You sarcasticly comment that I am part of the BMW sales department, do you maybe work for KTM?

oi! leave me out of this. And ask Adv... I want a BMW too - despite common mistaken belief by several on the board, I actually want a 1200GS ADV. But who cares anyway? Not me....

So - did anyone point KTM WC to this thread then? Theres no point in making a big hoo-haa over something and then not letting them see the results. Give them a chance, ask them for a response. Keep it open - theres no need to hide it.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 01:09:01 pm »
The same goes for me

I liked the KTM I saw at the old branch near the Waterfront entrance. The staff handled me like I was the invisible man suffering from leprosy.

I tested three other manufacturers and settled on the brand I now have

but oh...I'd be willing to suffer any kind of bad service treatment if I could afford to get a 640 as a second bike