Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: K@k KTM service  (Read 2953 times)

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
K@k KTM service
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2007, 01:22:12 pm »
Quote from: "CrazyPorra"
Quote from: "chrisB"
If I were to buy a KTM (thinking of a 640 Adv)it would probably be at Proaction Butch Hirsch Paulshof due to location, are there any gauteng based KTM riders here with experience from this dealer, if so how's the service?

Personal experience I stay away, first service was done by pro action and the twit that did the service thought it would be a good idea to oil the paper filter(think he must have been thinking about his next coffee break), rather put my dear beloved KTM on a trailer and take a trip to Nelspruit, leave it there for a week and pick it up spick and span, so far touch wood, no issues with their service as of yet, very professional and not badly priced either.

Thats a sad reflection on KTM jhb i reckon... an while it suits you to do this i am pretty sure non of the jhb okes is prepared to take bike all the way to nelspruit to have it serviced.

these stories of bad service from KTM scare me to be honest and prevented me from buying one .... to me ownership is a package deal and dealer service etc is important ...getting old but damn i enjoy owning an riding bikes and dont want the hassles of incompetent dealers to take the shine of the experience.

as a matter of interest the bill of 2027 , what was that for ?

cheers
Born to lose, live to win!!

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
K@k KTM service
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 01:24:09 pm »
Make peace with it - they're all kak - learn to do the simple stuff yourself and/or get yourself a reliable mech working from home.

Never again to a dealer - not even under warrantee.

H

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
K@k KTM service
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2007, 01:37:39 pm »
Quote from: "KiLeRSA"
Make peace with it - they're all kak - learn to do the simple stuff yourself and/or get yourself a reliable mech working from home.

Never again to a dealer - not even under warrantee.

H

well then u lose the warrentee, thats a risk i am not prepared to take.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Red Adventure

Re: Amazing
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2007, 01:38:20 pm »
Quote from: "SGB"
Yes, it should not happen.  But fix it man, work out what happened, give your delaer first right of fixing his own hassle and move on, if you don't want to touch a spanner.  What is this thread trying to achieve?  Stop all of us buying KTM?  Adventurer sounds like the chief of BMW sales, is this a marketing opportunity?  Shout your lungs out at the KTM dealer!  Sell the piece of sh*t.  Buy a BMW.

If you put the bike on its side, remove the cover and check out the o-ring (new or old), put it back without the o-ring slipping out the groove, you will save yourself a lot of travelling to and from the dealer.  A little bit of oil on the cover / o-ring surface will help.

Really......  How do you tackle a trip to nowhere if your technical ability stops short of sorting this out?  

You will find that if you handle this with your dealer in a positive manner, service levels will just improve in future.  This thread will get you nowhere.

You are a better man than I, and that is why you must be very happy with your KTM.
I have just had enough of poor service and therefore decided on a brand that could deliver a service even if it didn't have the best product. That is also why I also drive a Merc. rater than the Toyota that I'm mad about.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
K@k KTM service
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2007, 02:04:41 pm »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"

To buy a bike just for the performance it delivers is silly and stupid. One must look at the whole package (sales, product, service, support etc)

Oh its just my option.... :wink:

well I am silly and stupid :lol:  :P  but then again it's a lot less expensive to sort out bad service and sales than it is to increase performance and suspension and handling and sex appeal and and and and that the KTM offers  :P  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
K@k KTM service
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2007, 02:09:41 pm »
Quote from: Lito
Quote from: "Adventurer"

So - did anyone point KTM WC to this thread then? Theres no point in making a big hoo-haa over something and then not letting them see the results. Give them a chance, ask them for a response. Keep it open - theres no need to hide it.

I don't know about this thread but when I spoke to them a couple of months ago about the bad service etc, I did let them know about the forum and suggested that they read what is being said and take note.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
K@k KTM service
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2007, 02:14:01 pm »
My jibes at KTM in favour of BMW are nothing more than retribution... :D  :D Quite often it is the other way round, no names mentioned.. :lol:  :lol:  
Lito, I am surprised that BMW don't fetch and deliver in CT, all the dealers in the big smoke do, they will even lend you another scoot for the day, or drop you at your place of work and fetch you later when your bike is finished, no cost. Maybe they do offer this service but stay quiet about it?
Anyway, tonite we will hear what happened between PS and KTM WC. (What is the WC for? Outhouse? :D  :D  :D )
No matter what the brand of bike in question here, if they stuff up on your bike in this manner they need to sort it out. Let's consider worst case scenarios here, oil leaks out of this sump/oil filter onto your back wheel, you go down, what then? You leave on a long trip straight after a service, oil leaks out until your warning light comes on, engine damage, trip cancelled, what then? The mechanic in question gets a tongue lashing, same salary at the end of the week/month, but you have been inconvenienced big time. I say these guys should get a serious bollocking to make sure it never happens again.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
K@k KTM service
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2007, 02:19:12 pm »
To completely throw a spanner in the works, and I'm actually doubtful of any Kawa guys replying as this is mainly a KTM/BM topic, but has anyone experienced anything similar at a Kawasaki dealer?

Please, feel free to hang it all out!

I'm perfectly happy with the service at my dealer, of course  :D
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2007, 02:20:57 pm »
Just for interest sake, was there a breakdown of costs for this service?
It would be intersting to compare, BTW, I also think BMW services are too pricey. Luckily my scoot is out of warranty, now I service it myself. This way it gets a FULL service every 10 000kays, not the full then intermediate one, just the way I prefer to do it.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2007, 02:31:46 pm »
I wanted to suggest we start a few JD POWERS type polls to see who has the best/worst service/product but thought better of it...

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
K@k KTM service
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2007, 02:34:27 pm »
Just for the record.... 8)

To buy a bike just for the performance it delivers is silly and stupid. One must look at the whole package (sales, product, service, support etc)

intitially when I read this, i thought horseshit. But it got me thinking. We buy cars with what in mind? Service, warranty, backup, dealer network, etc.

I dont know too many "mainstream" folk who would happily go and buy a Trabant (sp) - most would go for something more appropriate to SA's condtions.

Reasons being that a cage is expensive, costly to run (what isnt  :roll: ) and a necessity for a lot of folks.

A bike is sometimes a luxury item for a lot of folk. Therefore they are prepared to put up with stuff that they might not put up with a cage. Reasonable?

So it stands to reason then, that if one is buying it as a primary tool of transport, that you might choose something with a better backup and dealer network? (dare i say bmw?)

but perhaps with different criteria if its a fun thing.....

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
K@k KTM service
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2007, 02:40:30 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
I wanted to suggest we start a few JD POWERS type polls to see who has the best/worst service/product but thought better of it...

I think it would be interesting - but chances are that everyone would have something to moan about...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2007, 05:48:29 pm »
You ask why do I mention you in all of this, Lito, because no thread of this nature would be the same without your input, whatever it's nature. :lol:  :lol: It has been fun, most of my comments were made in jest, some just wrongly interpreted. :?
Lets see what PS has to say............

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
K@k KTM service
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2007, 05:52:38 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"
You ask why do I mention you in all of this, Lito, because no thread of this nature would be the same without your input, whatever it's nature. :lol:  :lol:

:scratch:    :lol:

Yeah PS - pipe up boet, lets hear it!

Offline peter stuyvesant

K@k KTM service
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2007, 05:57:42 pm »
I phoned KTM's service department today at 8.30am to tell them about the leak. At 3.30pm they phoned me back. Their mechanic is comming out to my house tomorrow to sort it out!

When I started this thread the issue was not whether or not I had the mechanical aptitude to fix the bike myself or whether or not KTM would sort out the problem. The point was that after paying R2000 odd rand I expect my bike back without leaks, period. Is it too much to ask that the bloke who does the job checks his work afterwards?
A mate of mine had his GS1150 serviced at a BM dealer and they forgot to tighten the banjo bolt at the front brake lever.Long story short, he almost crashed into a taxi as he left the shop because the brake fluid shot out of the banjo bolt. The dealer/mechanic says "sorry, we'll put in new fluid and bleed the system". What if he'd killed himself?

At the end of the day,I would rather work on my bike myself, but the warranty is then null and void.  

This thread was quite entertaining, if nothing else. Subject closed as far as I'm concerned.
ps: Maybe you (SGB) and I can discuss this over a beer sometime! :)  :)

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
K@k KTM service
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2007, 06:29:07 pm »
As a VERY loyal KTM brand owner, a few comments from my side:

I'm in construction and have a fair amount of electrical knowledge, however when the lightning fried the main supply cable at my plot, I was more than capable to repair the damage. BUT,... a) this was an insurance claim, b) I have a business to run and c) I'm paying someon else to do the job, so they'd better do it right. I could have done the joints myself, but that's not the point - I've paid SOMEONE ELSE to do it.

Regarding Pro-Action,... Lets see: they took 4 months to repair it after the accident 13 months ago, their services are WAY too expensive and I sometimes feel like a statue in that shop and their parts, well lets not re-open that issue
I'm brand loyal, the dealer........ I'm shopping..... There are better and cheaper servicing agents out there !!

BTW... If you're looking for a 640 consider this deal from Pro-Action
One of my riding buddies has just bought a 640 for R 79 000, but wait theres more... for an extra 3k you get a full set of Touratech panniers and the brackets. and thats worth about 10 to 12k - so in effect you are only paying 70K odd for a new bike - Bye bye second hand market...

I suspect Butch is doing this to generate sales until the 690 arrives

Another interesting fact is that they must have sold about 20 to 30 bikes in the last week, if the heaps of apps and files lying on the salemens desk are anything to go by.
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2007, 07:19:57 am »
Just goes to show, it is a great product, just run buy incompetent people.
I had dealings with Pro Action over 20 years ago, they were the only Arai agents back then, it took them 6 months to import a tinted visor for me! And the list of excuses, unbelievable! I noticed that there are a lot of KTMs in CT, but not that many in JHB, maybe the CT guys are better at their job than the JHB guys?

Offline koplamp

• Pack Dog
K@k KTM service
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2007, 07:14:13 pm »
Quote from: "Lito"

intitially when I read this, i thought horseshit. But it got me thinking. We buy cars with what in mind? Service, warranty, backup, dealer network, etc.

I dont know too many "mainstream" folk who would happily go and buy a Trabant (sp) - most would go for something more appropriate to SA's condtions.

Reasons being that a cage is expensive, costly to run (what isnt  :roll: ) and a necessity for a lot of folks.

A bike is sometimes a luxury item for a lot of folk. Therefore they are prepared to put up with stuff that they might not put up with a cage. Reasonable?

So it stands to reason then, that if one is buying it as a primary tool of transport, that you might choose something with a better backup and dealer network? (dare i say bmw?)

I agree with you Lito

Offline Kat

• Race Dog
ktm
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2007, 09:22:20 pm »
Quote from: "koplamp"

I agree with you Lito

I totally disagree - for me the performance and other things that made me buy the bike in the first place,weigh heavier than the road-assistance
for example.And I don't think the other dealers and brands that much better.

Koplamp if I can recall,one of your panels did come off at 175km/h, after a service from Donfords.The panel torn out and forced you sideways,scaring the hell out of you.For me it's same sh!T made by a mechanic as in the case of PS.

So IMO everybody is experising the same amount of bad service once in a while.

:D Ride the bike that gaves you the thrill :D
KTM 990 Adv S

Offline Katoom

• Race Dog
Re: ktm
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2007, 09:40:28 pm »
Quote from: "Kat"
Quote from: "koplamp"

I agree with you Lito

I totally disagree - for me the performance and other things that made me buy the bike in the first place,weigh heavier than the road-assistance
for example.And I don't think the other dealers and brands that much better.

Koplamp if I can recall,one of your panels did come off at 175km/h, after a service from Donfords.The panel torn out and forced you sideways,scaring the hell out of you.For me it's same sh!T made by a mechanic as in the case of PS.

So IMO everybody is experising the same amount of bad service once in a while.

:D Ride the bike that gaves you the thrill :D

Hey amawhatwhat WTF you implying????

Lito, I buy a bike for the thrill, therefore with my heart.
I use a cage for transport and my bike for fun.
I ride KTM because I want to, not because its the right thing to do.
And I say it again, I have not had one little bit of kak with the bike or the service of KTM WC. I'm not coming up for anyone, merely stating a fact.

I also think that for some reason some people accept rumours as fact.
Life's too short.