Rider Weight, Height matched to bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brontes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
HI All

I have heard many comments from people that the weight of the rider is not important in the choice of bike, but rather the Height. Could someone please explain to me if this is a fair comment?

I have the following view, and would like to know if you could please correct me if I am completely off kilter:

I'll take my measurements as an example: (NOw please do not all get excited when you read this. I KNOW you can take me, so please get in the Q.)

I am approx. 1.76m short, with a body weight of 75 kg. I have a bust left elbow due to a car accident in 1992.

When going off-road, is it not extremely important to use your body weight to stay in control of the bike? also when just riding on-road it HAS to be better to have more "authority" on the bike with a heavier rider? As I have ZERO experience with this (Except for that one time when I was 15 when we "stole" my friends' dads KAWA 1000ST and we dropped it at the stop sign.) I assume that it would be Extremely unlikely that i could get a bike back to it's wheels should it fall over?

Assume I ride a GS1200: So my feet touch the ground when I park. Will I be able to pick up 200+kg should I drop it? Probably not.

Even so someone told me recently that some female riders of 58kg ride the 1200 GS!!

I find this very odd for the reasons mentioned above.

I would appreciate your thoughts please. (This will help me in my decision...)

Blue Skies