Karkloof CraigieBurn and Mooi River Falls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
Yesterday a group of us left from Hilton at 07h00 for a ride through the Karkloof, stopping at the Karkloof Falls and then on to the Mooi River Falls.

Four of us left from Hilton, including me, Wooly Bugger, Badger and Fran from Kloof and Andy. We then met up in Howick with Outthere and Sarah as well as Gunda Gunda who was in the area to swim the Midmar Mile

First stop was karkloof Falls, Outthere took us on a vey different track through the plantations to get there.

DSC01962.jpg

This is Badger and Fran, first time for them to come on a ride with us, but I'm sure there will be many more:

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

From there through the Demagteberg Plantation to the top of the Karkloof, weather was stunning but starting to get hot.

Wooly Bugger handling his GS1200 like a pro

DSC01968.jpg

Badger and Fran on the GSA

DSC01970.jpg

Gunda Gunda on his lekker new Tenere

DSC01971.jpg

After Karkloof we rode around Craigieburn Dam and went down to the bottom of the dam wall. Not much water was coming over the top, but it was still pretty awesome.

DSC01972.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

From there we headed off on the Middelrus Road towards the Mooi River Falls

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

I saw the Mooi River Falls for the first time about three weeks ago on a ride with Outthere and I could not believe how spectacular they are. To me it is totally amazing how few people have ever seen these falls or even know of their existence. There are no sign posts, and to get there you have to ride along a rough twee-spoor path and then through the veld. At the falls there is absolutely no infrastructure, just these amazing falls in the middle of the bush.

DSC01993.jpg

The falls are 82m high and drop into a spectacular gorge. This time there was not that much water going over, but the first time we went was after a few weeks of heavy rains and there was a huge amount of water, so much so that the spray from the falls formed a cloud that was visible from about 10km away

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01990.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01984.jpg

DSC01983.jpg

With the sun beating down on us from a cloudless sky, what better way to cool off than in the river, just above the falls

DSCN1505.jpg

We then left the falls, back through the veld and onto the dirt road

DSC01996.jpg

DSC01997.jpg

DSC01998.jpg

DSC01999.jpg

From there we headed on to Middelrus where we stopped for a not so cold coke

DSCN1513.jpg

A bit further on we turned off onto an interesting track that carried on for about 20km until it came out on the tar road just outside Escourt. From there we stayed on tar to Mooi River, Nottingham road and then Hilton where we ended up at my place with our families where we drank some beers and burned some meat and did some socializing.

DSCN1555.jpg

Really good trip, great to meet Badger and Fran, as well as Gunda Gunda.

Most importantly no-one came off and no mechanical issues at all.