Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ermelo Toyota 400 - "Ride Report"  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Ermelo Toyota 400 - "Ride Report"
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:18:23 pm »
Well, what an experience.
The nerves were eating me up a few days before the event already, and even Andri, an veteren of these events, mentioned to me on Thursday evening that he was as nervous as anything.

As he had entered the National, it was compulsory that he had to enter the time trials on Friday.
His position after the 50km event was 50th out of about 114 riders - a bit disappointing, but then he was also competing against the big 450's and especially the Yamaha's which are a force to be reckoned with this year.

Saturday morning dawn bright and hot, and it promised to be a scorcher. Little did we know that by about 14:30, the MOTHER of all torrential downpours and hail would decend down on the field

Andri had entered the National and Regional 250 class, Riaan the Regional 250 class, Kurt the Silver cup (Quads) and I the Regional Novice class (all bikes).
The National loop was 4 x 110km = 440km. The Regionals were 2 x 110km and the Silver cup 3 x 110km loops

The results were very positive and encouraging for our team and we came home with no less than 5 cups
Andri: 1st Regional 250 and 6th National 250
Riaan: 5th Regional 250
Kurt: 2nd Quad Silver
Myself: 5th Novice class

The riders were very committed. We were in the gym every day for 2 weeks before the event, no alchohol whatsoever, and we were all in bed by 21:00 on Friday night. We bumped our fluid intake for 48 hours preceding the event and watched our diets very closely - and it paid off

Here are some pics:

Our Pits:

Myself (still got a lot to learn  ;D )

Andri

Riaan

Kurt

A view from the air - our pits are roughly in the centre right at the top of the pic

Although the event overall to our team was a resounding success, there were still some niggling things that possibly cost us some places in the results.
Our Bikes preps are still not upto scratch and we are going to have seriously rethink our approach to them.

Andri's bike died about 20m before the finish on the time trial which cost him quite a few places. We could not get it started and eventually decided to strip it down completely. We were shocked to find the entire airbox full of water and mud. We were stumped - how did this happen ? Soon it became clear - the air filter had not been fitted properly - the rubber ring which seals the filter to the airbox was clearly out of alignment and "bent" inwards - a big gap existed under it and was further evidenced by the lack of residue of filter oil on that portion.
The entire carb was stripped down and a lot of dirt has obviously entered it. We are concerned about the motor and a rebuild is planned
Andri had bent his bar raisers the week previously and these had been replaced. Whilst on the way to the  jetting strip his handle bars just folded forward - the bolts were loose. This was luckily discovered and tightened.
His jets were not right and we did not have the correct ones with us. We phoned back to pretoria and had a whole host of people run around town and source the correct ones. The KTM team also graciously lent us jets for the time trial

When we discovered Andri's airbox problem, we checked Riaan's bike and took a lot of dirt out of the airbox. For good measure, we stripped the carb and cleaned it out. Ten minutes into the race on Sat, Riaan's new handguards came loose and the bolt fell out. He lost a good seven places at the time trying to force/rip the rest off.

Also ten minutes into the first lap I discovered I had NO back brakes and very problematic front brakes. They would now and again come right but would fail me at the most inopportune moments. I must have had at least 6 or 7 very bad falls on the first loop where I overshot corners and end up in ditches and donga's. On the last one I thought I was a gonner and must have layed on the ground a good 5 minutes before I summonded the courage to get up. I definately heard something snap and am off to the Quack tomorrow to check ligaments.
Right there and then I decided to retire after the first loop.
I got into the pits and told everyone that I was done. My mate Jaghond had come to spectate and said that he would sort out the brakes. It took them 20 minutes to bleed the front and the back and put in new pads. The oil in the back was "useless" and they bled all the old out. The front had water in. They sent me out on the red technical loop and I had an exceptionally good round - the brakes were perfect.

The hail storm and torrential downpour 35km before the end messed it all up and I lost about 20 minutes due to a number of falls (it became SNOT GLAD), getting stuck in deep mud and fording two rivers which were in a mini muddy flash flood. I hear the carnage that happened behind me was awesome.

My first regional race and despite the problems - it was an experience of note. Getting a place was unexpected - but very rewarding.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:28:48 pm by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Etienne2T

Re: Ermelo Toyota 400 - "Ride Report"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:20:35 pm »
Nice one, heard there was abit of a stuffup with the prize givings?

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:30:11 pm »

Yes, these events, to most competitors are VERY serious.
The "old boys" know exactly who they overtake, who breaks down, crashes out etc ....  - and if that person is listed above them in the results - then ALL HELL breaks out
There was protest above protest and the last results were only out around 23:00

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:12:02 pm »
Well done Plottie

Wish I could have made it to come and spectate... Next one after the house move...
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline jaghond

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31:56 am »
It was a pleasure helping.  ;)
Well done on your results.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Live to play. Play to live!

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:52:18 am »
Excellent result u guys  :hello2: ,and very good job getting Kurt to bed by 21:00 , :angel12: now u just need to get him on 2 wheels . 
FTS

Offline UFUDO

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:02:18 am »
Well done guys, looks like you all had fun!  Good luck getting Kurt on two wheels!

"Africa is not for Sissies!!"

Offline Splash

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:05 am »
Well done Plothond - exceptional result. Racing is just the best fun. Been lucky with my bike preps so far. Did the race last year and it was a mud bath. Hope I make it to the race next year.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »
Lekker, want to come and spectate one of these :thumleft:

Offline HHHusky

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Don't follow me - you won't make it !
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 05:15:15 pm »
Well done Plottie. I must however admit that these off-road events scare the crap out of me. The average speeds are so high, and it just seems that the risk of a serious injury during a crash is very high - especially for us larger boned physically challenged amateurs who are bound to suffer the odd MLOT. In the EWXC events I never feel that my life is in real danger (that is excluding the risk of a stroke from overexertion), and the speeds are generally so low that a broken bone or two seems to be the worst case scenario in any crash. Maybe I will try one of the Amsoil Xross Country events and then decide – then I might even do more than one lap, which doesn’t happen too often in the EWXC events!
Husky TE610 - (Sold)
KDX 200 #C258 - (Sold)
YZ250 2t (on it's way to OZ!!!)
Montesa Cota 315R (Sold)
The Roof - a strenuous hike the through the mountains of Lesotho with a 100kg backpack.  As acid rain falls on the leaves, And Mother Earth quietly grieves, These blasted pollutants Will make us all mutants, And our kids will wear coats with three sleeves.

Offline popipants

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »
Great Stuff

Seems that LCP is expanding, you now have a helicopter and all!!   :o :o :o :o :o
Makes comiting in Jhb a bit easier I bet   :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Well done Plotty, nice one.

I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 06:48:23 pm »
Seems that LCP is expanding, you now have a helicopter and all!!   :o :o :o :o :o

Hahaha  :thumleft:

At 2.1m US$ - we going to have to make a bit of cash first  :ricky:

Offline Yefimovich˛

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200RT
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:40:38 am »
Well done guys, great results!
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:56:43 pm »
Only read this now, well done Plottie & co.!  :thumleft:

Sorry about them ligaments. You should look at getting some knee braces, they saved my knee yesterday when I came off up a steep hill and bike landed on my leg. All I had was some bruising. It must have been frustrating having no brakes in an event like that, kudo´s to you for sticking it out. You still came 5th even though you only completed one lap? Must have been carnage out there!

I wish I had something like this to enter over here and gauge my ability.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 02:58:06 pm »

Yes, these events, to most competitors are VERY serious.
The "old boys" know exactly who they overtake, who breaks down, crashes out etc ....  - and if that person is listed above them in the results - then ALL HELL breaks out
There was protest above protest and the last results were only out around 23:00
Eish... who did the scoring?

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »
..., kudo´s to you for sticking it out. You still came 5th even though you only completed one lap? Must have been carnage out there!

I completed both laps - but it was not fun on the second with the ligment off and then rain
I've got knee braces, but obviously not good enough

Regarding the scoring:
It's interesting to note that they really bragged about the good systems they were using. We have just been discussing it - The AMSOIL Rhinopark on Sat had brilliant scoring !!!
All the results were out an hour after the last rider came in and I'm not aware of any complaints