Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Serious question: Is the thrill of the ride worth it?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Serious question: Is the thrill of the ride worth it?
« on: January 12, 2007, 09:11:11 am »
Anyone who is making a choice of whether to ride a motorcycle should weigh the risk, and decide if it's worth the risk. Clearly, all of us have decided it is.

The following site clearly bring across just how dangerous it is to ride a bike, it certainly gave me a real wake-up call to the realities of motorcycling.

A lot of the situations that are described just reinforce my decision to wear ATGATT [All The Gear, All The Time]...even on those really nice days where it's tempting to go with the minimums - I rather sweat a little than bleed a lot!  In my opinion every biker or anyone considering biking should view this website on a regular basis.

WARNING: This site is very graphic and disturbing, but very sobering at the same time.

Live to Ride - Ride to DIE
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:40:52 am by Watty »

Red

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:35:45 am »
Nothing to say.  Gruesome.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
Greusome, but sobering.  Amazing how many of those injuries could've been avoided with ATGATT.  ATGATT will not, however, save you from a head-on collision with a truck!!  :shock:

What amazes me is that the chin-bar on a helmet takes the highest percentage of hits!!  And still, those flip-up jobbies are quite popular...does anybody know if they've passed all the safety tests?
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Uncle Bob

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 09:49:07 am »
Agreed ATGATT.

But, how many of those accidents do you see that the guys did not wear ANY protective gear, sometimes not even a Helmet.

Secondly, how many are rice rockets that were clearly being ridden over the speed limit?

The last pic on page tought, what must've happened to him, full leathers and it looks like he was torn apart by savage lions? I know people who've come off at 200kph plus in leathers and didn't even have roadrash.

I feel sorry for people who get knocked of innocently, i had two accidents last year, one being sideswiped while lane splitting(guy didn't check his blindspot, but should i have been so close next to him?) the other a dumbass doing an illegal u turn. Sometimes we're not seen, but sometimes the cages do not expect us to be ther so soon.

Let's say you want to change lanes, check mirrors (see the light but it's far behind you) indicate and go - the R1 that you saw that was 100m behind you has now accelerated from 0 to 100kph plus in less than 3 seconds and is dirctly behind you and can't stop - who's at fault? you or the bike doing 100+ in a 60 zone(and let's face it we all get pissed of at the supabikes for riding like this)
Same can be applied for crossing the road, check left check right left again and go - the light you saw in the distance was doing 200+ in a 60 zone and Bam - Bike parked halway though corsa! (Happened last year next to harties R6 doing 230 something, killed rider and BOTH passenger in car)

Uncle Bob

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:51:36 am »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"
Greusome, but sobering.  Amazing how many of those injuries could've been avoided with ATGATT.  ATGATT will not, however, save you from a head-on collision with a truck!!  :shock:

What amazes me is that the chin-bar on a helmet takes the highest percentage of hits!!  And still, those flip-up jobbies are quite popular...does anybody know if they've passed all the safety tests?

There's a thread about safety under gear and equipment me thinks - and yes the BM ones passed all safety standards.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 11:57:40 am »
Very sobering site but to answer your question.....Yes

Kev

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:15 pm »
I know I could get hurt big time riding a bike. I know the risks, and try my best to be prepared in such a way as to minimise these risks. This means:  
 - I have a very strict NO alcohol and riding policy for myself and passenger
 - ATGATT - even if it is "just down the road"
 - Going slow enough around corners that the distance needed to stop safely is never exceeded, ie, I will be able to stop on the visible piece of road safely
 - I try to enjoy my riding on roads that are less frequented by cars
 - Trying never to give into that little devil that wants you to be windgat
 - Being as alert as possible... I am very tired, I don't ride.
 - Constantly running "avoidance scenarious" and "what ifs" through my mind when riding,ie, planning for the worst.

I know all this could go horribly wrong. I just hope it doesn't.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:26:03 pm »
Yes

...though I wouldn't call it a thrill. I don't want to argue symantics but a thrill to me means an exciting, death defying hobby that will eventually be replaced by another even more thrilling activity.

Motorcycling is a long term thing for me. Sometimes I find it incredibly tedious and sometimes it scares the living daylights out of me. I don't see myself ever being without a bike.
Riding a bike is such an essential part of me that I can't call it thrilling anymore.
I may as well call my right hand thrilling - please, no jokes

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 12:35:40 pm »
I though you are left.... :D
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 12:58:43 pm »
The risks are there but would you rather never ride a bike because something may happen to you ? For my motorcycling is life and it makes me feel alive, when I'm on road I always stay alert as possible and always try to anticipate what a car driver may do.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:57:42 pm »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"
I though you are left.... :D

only when you are involved  :twisted:

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
Re: Serious question: Is the thrill of the ride worth it?
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »
After observing a KTM 950 rider today, racing, doing wheelies and other showoff stunts in a busy beach front parking area, wearing only a T shirt, short pants and crocks,  I deemed it necessary to revive this thread.  Please go and read the 1st post.

Offline Camel Joe

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 750S
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 08:29:59 pm »
Did you got any pictures of the 950 I would like to have seen it

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 08:35:46 pm »
Good site.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 08:43:06 pm »
Did you got any pictures of the 950 I would like to have seen it
Unfortunately no images.  I did not recognise the rider, or bike, as any Wild Dog member.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:48:23 pm by Watty »

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »
2nd time in about 3 months that ive crashed myself into the hosp, no pain no gain, lotsa pain though, but one powerslide in the dunes makes up for all that!

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 04:29:05 pm »
Holy scuzbucket! Maybe this thread should be incorporated into all MC sales, new and 2nd hand.
This, coupled with hat other thread of the guy that offed himself after getting paralyzed.... I am reminded to be very careful!

Offline Cane Rat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Doing time in Angola
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »
I will by buying the laaitie his first bike in about2 to 3 weeks from now. Plan is to get him a NXR125. Problem is, heís never really ridden a bike before. Just fooled around on a friendís farm. He lives with his mom in Roodepoort and Iím down in R/bay. Plan is to keep the bike by me until Dec, get him down there and give him some pointers.

Problem is, how will I know that he is prepared for what he will experience in Gauteng, because itís a different ballgame up there.

This is my biggest fear and looking at this makes my mind play tricks on me. I recently lost my oldest son. I surely donít want to loose the other one too.

This scares the living daylight out of me, but what do I do. I canít babysit him forever.

I can just hope and Pray that he is sensible and wake-up, and of course drum the importance of ATGATT into him.
Wat ek is, is net genade.
Wat ek het, is net geleen!
(Koos du Plessis)