Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: EWXC 20 Feb Arrows Rest  (Read 596 times)

Offline HHHusky

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Don't follow me - you won't make it !
EWXC 20 Feb Arrows Rest
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:29:00 am »
The Enduro World Cross Country Series ("EWXC") is a technical and tough racing format unique in many respects. The 5 event Club Championship Series is held at various venues generally within 1.5 hours of Jhb/ Pta, enabling riders and spectators to easily get there and return home on the same day. The course is usually around 15 km's long and takes the top riders about 30 minutes to complete a lap. Depending on the class entered, competitors must complete between 2 and 6 laps. Due to the course being short, spectators and media can easily access lots of great spectator points to enjoy all the fun.

First EWXC race of the year, and Arrows Rest is a howzer with good spectator points with lots of boiling bikes and vloeking riders. From either the N1 or N14, take the R512 (Malibongwe Drive). Head away from Randburg (Towards Sun City). Arrive at T-Junction and turn left. You will pass African Outdoor Group and Pecan Wood Entrance, +- 3km passed that point you will arrive at a gate on the left. Pro’s start at 8:00, Novice at 11:00, ladies and sissies at 13:00, and extreme event at 15:00 – this is a humdinger. The GPS coordinates
   S25 46.858 E27 49.882
Splash is joining me in Novice B – who else? Shark, Plothond, AMX  . . .

Enduroworld is also looking for marshalls for our event on 20th Feb at Arrows Rest, Hartbeespoort Dam, and we're prepared to pay for your services! We need about 14 more at this stage. If you are able and willing to assist please email pieter@enduroworld.co.za or call him on 083 655 6556. We will be paying marshals this year from the proceeds of our raffle. This may not be important to some of our marshals who do it out of love for the sport, however we feel it important as we would like to raise the standards of everything relating to our events this year.

Husky TE610 - (Sold)
KDX 200 #C258 - (Sold)
YZ250 2t (on it's way to OZ!!!)
Montesa Cota 315R (Sold)
The Roof - a strenuous hike the through the mountains of Lesotho with a 100kg backpack.  As acid rain falls on the leaves, And Mother Earth quietly grieves, These blasted pollutants Will make us all mutants, And our kids will wear coats with three sleeves.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Re: EWXC 20 Feb Arrows Rest
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:07:43 am »
We are considering riding, but it's unlikely the bikes will be ready after Ermelo as they need a fair amount of work to be done on them - so we might have to miss this one
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Splash

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:01:57 am »
The Pro's ride for three hours, Novice A & B for two hours and Novice C for one hour. Will see how Novice B goes for me. Could be a long two hours.
Have bike, will ride.

shark_za

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:18 pm »
I'm only flying back into SA late on the 19th or early 20th.
I wont make it.

shark_za

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »
But I do owe myself some time off to do a real race, Splash, next weekend in Natal ?
Team up to finish?

Offline Chukudeer

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:01 am »
Team E-Wekend-Impi will be entering 3 bikes with plenty support  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: we might even allow lesser riders like the LaRiche brothers to pit with us.  ::) ;) Nice technical track with plenty rocks, off cambers and looooong climbs, lots of fun, sweat and tears. Lets hope it does not rain during the day as it then becomes very slippery.
It is a short loop and spectators can get to some of the technical spots.
Hope to see ye all there  :thumleft: :thumleft:
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Offline Splash

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:10:48 am »
But I do owe myself some time off to do a real race, Splash, next weekend in Natal ?
Team up to finish?
Hi Shark_za
Sorry, not going to the WFO (Baynesfield) - too easy! Rudamans have an enduro race on at Carolina (Wild Side) - only one lap. Should be a one day trip. Have a look at http://www.rudracing.co.za/ . Taking a tent with just in case.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline HHHusky

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Don't follow me - you won't make it !
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:51:19 am »
Man that was tough – 70% brilliant, 30% hell. Track was totally changed from last year, and we started with an easy loop through the lower slopes and MX section, going in the opposite direction to last time. Splash and Extreme left me in their dust, and as usual I propped up the back of Novice B, with the gnawing realisation that there must be a mother of a hillclimb ahead. And there certainly was – soon I reached the foot of a steep zero traction dusty-rocky 300m parking lot for boiling bikes and swearing riders. This was utter mayhem, as there were no alternative lines, and the track was already badly churned by the Pro’s race. So here we go – wait for guy in front to get going, get pelted by rocks, abuse the clutch to get some traction, bounce all over the place, finally get going just in time to panic-stop and slide back half the distance you covered because guy in front of you stalled/endo’d/moered off. Repeat roughly forty times. Finally got to the top, with KDX clutch smoking, and it must have taken me at least 30 minutes. In spite of all my fitness training I was totally vaarked. The top was full of parked bikes and passed out riders, but no sign of Splash or Extreme. I did see a KTM200 parked right at the top, some way of the track, but I could not see a rider anywhere near, and assumed it was the marshal’s bike. After catching my breath, it was down a very slippery steep slope, some flat bits, and then down a looong slippery descent – more sand and rocks, and any error was going to be rewarded by some serious unplanned downtime. Towards the bottom there was a brilliant little section through a rocky woody ravine, and then back up the next hill. Not as bad as the first hill and very little traffic, but still pretty hectic towards the top. Here I finally realised that unless I sort out my hillclimbing technique, the EWXC races are going to kill me. Then I met up with Extreme, who was having a little rest, and we talked about global warming and the risk of derivatives as an investment vehicle, then onwards again. I did another 100m of snotty climbs, and waited for Extreme to catch up, but after a few minutes I could feel cramps starting to set in, and had to get going. Finally reached the top, another little flat section to catch my breath, and then some more serious downhill’s towards the endurocross section before the end. At this stage I was starting to push, as there was no sign of Splash, and honestly I was going to be very upset if he beats me in his first race in NovB – I am pathetically competitive in that nasty talentless petty kind of way. Got to the endurocross section with the crowds baying for blood, but thankfully didn’t screw up too badly. Here some pijures of the Pro's going through.

Then up a snotty little slope, and down to the paddock, and my heart sank into my boots as there was no sign of Splash at our gazebo – the bastard must be on his second lap! Well if he can, I must, even if it kills me. But as I got to the finish line I had the finisher flag waved in my face – apparently they didn’t think there was a rats chance in hell I could do another lap in the time left. Maybe they were right. Collapsed under the gazebo, crawled up to the cooler box and finished a litre of coke in about two minutes. Then Extreme came in, in much the same state of general collapse, and much later, just as I was getting worried, Splash arrived. I magnanimously congratulated him on his two laps, but from the shell-shocked response it became clear that NovB had given him a bit of a working over.

It was his bike I had passed at the top of the first hill, and he was passed out somewhere in the long grass – pretty crappy riding partner I turned out to be. But after regaining his mental faculties he had soldiered on, and he did finish his lap. I suspect NovB was carnage, and to any amateur rider who finished a lap – well done. Main race I think was one by Wynand Delport on a BMW, who also had the hole-shot

After plenty of fluids and rest we went to watch the extreme events, and it was just brilliant – the talent and bravery of these top guys is just beyond belief. Jade is a machine, and Marc Torlage has put his hand up in a big way. Check the width of the ledge they have to cross, with a sheer 3 meter drop on the side.

Will on his TTR125 (kiddies bike, WTF) just could not cope with the extreme climbs. Will-nie!

Hmm, KTM not doing too well at the moment - Yamaha and BMW ruling the roost. What next? After a years racing I still only managed one lap. I refuse to give up, but realise that I need to be much fitter, and work on my hillclimbs – the rest was OK. But maybe slip in a few Amsoil events to boost the confidence and get some riding fitness going.

[Many pics stolen from BUB and Splash on e-dirt]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:22:30 am by HHHusky »
Husky TE610 - (Sold)
KDX 200 #C258 - (Sold)
YZ250 2t (on it's way to OZ!!!)
Montesa Cota 315R (Sold)
The Roof - a strenuous hike the through the mountains of Lesotho with a 100kg backpack.  As acid rain falls on the leaves, And Mother Earth quietly grieves, These blasted pollutants Will make us all mutants, And our kids will wear coats with three sleeves.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:43 pm »
 :thumleft:
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Splash

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 06:54:48 pm »
Great report. Thanks for sharing pits. Made for a far more enjoyable day. Till the next one. Some much still need to practice!
Have bike, will ride.

Offline Splash

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 07:03:04 pm »
Catching a train became going on a first date - difficult and unpredictable. Frustratingly only completing one lap. Moving from Novice C to Novice B has proved to be more difficult than I had hoped. Going to take possibly more than a year to get myself to a level of completing all the required laps. More learning is only part of the problem. Lack of riding fitness is killing my races.

Definitely need to work on drinking sufficient fluids the day before the race and to change from taking water in my backpack to a rehydration drink. It was hot and the climbs technical which made progress slow and tiring. At one point I almost suffered a heart attack. Sat on my bike for a while trying to catch my breath. This did not happen. A concerned rider stopped and helped. I was in a bad way. Severely dehydrated. Moved me to some shade and I drank plenty. It took a while before I was capable of continuing again. He waited patiently and we eventually set of together. Parted ways when I got stuck again not too much further on. Sad that I wasted so much time recovering. Guess one should not mess around with dehydration.

Have upgraded my kit. Got a Leatt neck brace, EVS knee braces and new boots – Alpine Stars. Seem to be crashing rather frequently. Spent some time fitting everything properly. Now feeling comfortable in the gear and considered money well spent.

The Extreme Enduro race was spectacular and to all the riders attempting this, you are heroes. Jade did his thing in style and finished first. William also did his thing on a Yamaha TTR125 - did not have the pace of the bigger bikes. Had sympathy for the riders who were stuck, I know the feeling. Yours were vertical climbs though.

Butch Hirch stopped by which was a pleasant surprise. From I could see he is looking well.

My race started of well with some good lines from the start and managing logs without tumbling. Did the MX track section at a reasonable pace. Did hit my toe which was slightly hurt. Need to pay more attention. Then the almighty hill climb loomed. About half way I crashed, physically. Could hardly keep the bike upright. The track was littered with rocks making traction difficult. The remaining half was a mission. Desperately wanted to turn back down. Could not do that, had to carry on forwards. Made so many errors, the worst, not standing on my pegs. I was paddling and not winning. The rear tyre looks somewhat worse for wear, being spun repeatedly and actually not going anywhere.

This is going to be a challenging year. Thanks Enduro World and William Gillitt. My survival skills are improving!     

Pictures:

Have bike, will ride.

serf

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:02:33 pm »
I take my hat off to you guys.  :thumleft:

We marshaled at the race and I was almost dead. We went out before the pros and the course was an absolute nightmare - well for me in any case.

One of my buddies did five laps and he looked a lot fresher afterwords than I did. I need to work on my fitness!

Was fun though  :thumleft: