1 Year with the Wild Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneyMan

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I hope this post will enspire the posers and newbies out there to get out and ride! It is much easier than you think. Just be prepared to go through the learning curve and you will be OK.

After an almost 18 year break from riding bikes, I got the Dakar for myself in October 05 with the main aim to do the Desert Run.

What followed was much more than I could have hoped for. 14 January will mark exactly 1 year of riding with forum members.

Canal Klip - Mud Monster (January)

Boo-boo:
Trying to follow Sharks tracks. Being windgat and seeing my arse.

Learned:
- One can do much more with the bike than you give yourself credit for. Go out there and do it.
- One gets dehydrated very quickly during technical riding.
- Laughter makes you forget the suffering

Shortcomings:
- Mud riding. I doubt in those conditions anything will improve. Maybe a lighter bike.
- No water/fluid for the trip

Attempt to follow Shark's tracks. Well, at least I crossed it. :roll:

Journeymanstrack1.jpg

Windgat and end result

Journeymans1st1.jpg

Made it even though I promised myself beforehand that I will not go up the klip.
Picture_0181a.jpg

Cullinan - February

Boo-Boo:

- Target fixation WILL make you hit the only lump of dried mud in the middle of a 8 meter wide dirt road :roll:

Learned:

- Look where you want to go and the bike will go there. Managed not to take out a cyclist by concentrating on the line to take in order not to hit him. Did brush his body with my elbo though. Close.

Shortcomings:

- Cornering on dirt
- Technical sand riding on 4x4 track. Could not get on top of the ramps. Bang Gat!

The group

Bunch1.jpg

4 X 4 Track

4by4Track1.jpg

Birthday Run - March

Boo-Boo:

- I suck at keeping direction and therefore leading the pack :oops:

Learned:

- A cold one or two makes muddy roads less daunting. :oops:
- Seriously: Muddy roads as encoutered are much the same as sandy roads. Bike will fishtail a lot but keep momentum and control the front wheel. Should be OK. Otherwise, sit down and take it slow.

Shortcomings:

- Keeping direction.

Muddy road

IMG_0244.jpg

The group

IMG_0241.jpg

Desert Run - April

Boo-boo:

- Don't break your only set of spectacles

Learned:

- Knobblies require a different approach to braking on tar. Lets go much more quickly than the Tourances and caught me completely off guard.
- I can ride lekker with just one eye seeing properly! :lol:
- Loose/sandy roads. Stand up and keep the throttle open. It's fun!
- Not everyone is a team player on extended trips. Choose carefully next time.
- Next time take my own camera

Shortcomings:

- Cornering on dirt roads

No pictures yet! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Groot Marico - June

Boo-boo:

- Take a whee before strating the trip after coffee at the meeting place.
- Overconfidence in new-found cornering skills almost caused me to go down

Learned:

- Cornering on dirt. Implemented forum advise and tips as well as Shark animated demonstrations on a Dros bar chair. :lol: Worked well. Need to practise a lot though.

Shortcomings:

- Overconfidence in a new-found skill. Must take it easier. Almost saw my behind.

Whee break just after the trip started. :roll:

IMG_0013a.jpg

Photo time

IMG_0019a.jpg

Group

IMG_0015a.jpg

Zonkelnut Skaapbraai and Breakfast Run - June

Boo-boo:
- Babelaas and breakfast run does not nescesarily go well together.

Learned:

- You will survive the babelaas and brekkie run
- Loose gravel/railway track riding. Stand up, control front wheel and keep power steady.

Shortcomings:

- Trying to keep up with Fun, Wino, Zonkel and Fortyza as bitter einders at the party. :shock:

Talking shite, mostly

IMG_0067.jpg

Bitter Einders

IMG_0087.jpg

First trip with wife. Also first with a pillion. July

Boo-boo:

Wife hitting the rear indicator with her boot as she mounted the bike the first time. Broken. :lol:

Learned:

- She can hit my ribs quite hard at 120km p/h :shock:
- The thumper two up is a completely different ball game. Braking distances, acceleration and handling all differs to such a degree that it was quite a shock to me.

Shortcomings:

- Not taking her earlier. (Subsequently the same story) She's not really into the biking thing. :(

Helmet Hair Blues

IMG_0001.JPG

Dakar
IMG_0012.JPG

Second part to follow.