Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WD KTM 950/990 technical section.  (Read 122382 times)

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
Re: WD KTM 950/990 technical section.
« Reply #2860 on: September 26, 2018, 08:17:54 am »
I have a 990R with 30 000km on, had it serviced recently, when I washed it before I went on a trip, saw oil sweating at the rear cylinder, thought it must be from the serviced, cleaned it and went on a 1500km road trip, yesterday when I looked, saw a whole lot of oil there.

See it is a common problem, will clean again and try and see where the oil is coming from, can it only leak from the base gasket there? or is there somewhere else I must look?

There is a oil pressure sender unit between the front and rear cylinders. A bitch to get to but they sometimes leak, air flow etc causes it to look like its the cylinder so check it first as its a low cost repair.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #2861 on: September 26, 2018, 09:31:20 pm »
I stripped my bike and had the motor on the bench, to repair a leaking base gasket ..................... A known issue  ::)

Turned out to be the starter motor o-ring -  motor coulda stayed in  >:(

So ja, check first ................

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Smittie Weskus

« Reply #2862 on: September 27, 2018, 07:37:32 am »
Checked yesterday, seems to me that the oil is coming from between the cylinders and is running around the cylinder to the back of the cylinder. I suppose the whole thing must be stripped to get to the starter and oil sender unit?

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #2863 on: September 27, 2018, 07:55:16 am »
Oh yes, for sure ................. you know how it goes with one of these bikes.

Oil sender, maybe just left tank but I doubt it.

The thing is, when I took mine apart there was a lot of oil/dirt between the cylinders maiking it very difficult to see the culprit. Only when I removed the starter and saw a 'clean oil' patch did i realise it was that.

Another thought: - what about blowback from the crank vent getting into the airbox and leaking past the airbox clamps. Is this possible and would the oil end up running past the rear cylinder?

Anyways, have fun and let us know  :biggrin: :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Smittie Weskus

« Reply #2864 on: September 27, 2018, 09:27:04 am »
Also possible, bike was serviced just before problem started (valve clearances, oil change, ect)

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #2865 on: September 27, 2018, 04:33:46 pm »
Also possible, bike was serviced just before problem started (valve clearances, oil change, ect)

There you go you answered your own question.

Tappet cover gaskets (rubber) not put back properly or skew.

As far as I know it would be tricky to get to but the sender unit can be done without removing the motor. But as I said above I doubt now that the problem is that seeing it started after the valve covers where off.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Grumpleton

• Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #2866 on: September 27, 2018, 04:50:37 pm »
or bike over full . it pisses out oil from the breather if its over full.
Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Smittie Weskus

« Reply #2867 on: November 05, 2018, 03:53:18 pm »
Just to give a bit of feed back, I stripped the bike and replaced the starter o-ring, that was the only thing that I could see that might cause the leak. That starter is a bitch to get out and in again. Glad I did it, saw the throttle cable was damaged and replace that as well. Just for precaution, sucked a bit of oiled out as well, looked a bit to high the oil level. I am driving to Oasis this coming weekend so will see when I get back if there is any leak still.

Thanks for all the advise, almost stripped the motor :thumleft:

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #2868 on: November 06, 2018, 10:43:51 pm »
Howsit guys

anyone got some tips re bleeding the front brake?  ive put new pads in and bled the system the usual way but the lever squeezes to the bar very easily. ive put enough brake fluid through it for it to be fresh too.
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #2869 on: November 06, 2018, 11:40:18 pm »
Pull the level as far back as you can and zip tie it to the handle. Try to turn the handlebars and lean the bike over in such a way that any air bubbles can float all the way to the reservoir. Leave it overnight.

Cut the cable tie in the morning and slowly release the lever.

If that doesn't work, you've got an airbubble in the callipers.

If it is a 950, you may have the air bubble in the bend over the front wheel.

Bleed first the left caliper, then, once no airbubbles, bleed the right hand one.
I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

The following users thanked this post: dookie

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #2870 on: November 07, 2018, 11:05:14 am »
I always found it easier to open the nipple on the bottom and push fluid up through to the top using a syringe. Open the reservoir on top and keep an ice cream tub below to catch the over flow of old fluid. Keep pushing fluid through until you see the new (clean) brake fluid filling the reservoir. All the old fluid should now have been displaced and you shouldn't have any air bubbles.

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #2871 on: November 07, 2018, 11:33:38 am »
thanks guys, i'll give it a bash this weekend.
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #2872 on: November 07, 2018, 11:38:53 am »

Quote from: Archangel on Today at 11:05:14 am
I always found it easier to open the nipple on the bottom and push fluid up through to the top using a syringe. Open the reservoir on top and keep an ice cream tub below to catch the over flow of old fluid. Keep pushing fluid through until you see the new (clean) brake fluid filling the reservoir. All the old fluid should now have been displaced and you shouldn't have any air bubbles.

It's important to try pull a vacuum first though.
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #2873 on: November 08, 2018, 07:14:46 pm »
Hey chaps, my 47000km '09 990's clutch has started slipping, I've just spent quite a bit on the bike, what is my cheapest option on getting my hands on a new clutch pack? I don't want cheap and nasty stuff but don't want to break the bank either.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #2874 on: November 08, 2018, 11:26:52 pm »
Hey chaps, my 47000km '09 990's clutch has started slipping, I've just spent quite a bit on the bike, what is my cheapest option on getting my hands on a new clutch pack? I don't want cheap and nasty stuff but don't want to break the bank either.

Two things could be happening;

It might be the clutch rings or the clutch booster ramps have become worn.

If its the clutch rings, so long as your steel plates are fine and you are only looking for the fibre ones then.... The first fibre plate is unique to the KTM and you can get away with not changing it if it is barely in spec and not glazed. Kawasaki ZZR 600's & 1100 from 2006 and before are the exact same dimensions with a slight difference in the fibre patterns and MUCH cheaper.

The safest way is to pitch up at a Kawa dealer with one of the plates from your clutch pack and a vernier and ask to rummage around.

That's what I did.

You have to take the big arsed 32mm nut off that is under the pressure plate to get to look at the booster. The ramps should be smooth with not much wear.

The booster works from the torque of the engine to help multiply the force on the clutch pack. When you first started feeling slippage, it could be that the ramps were worn not working.

Photo's from here

950info.com

Although the manual doesn't say anything other than checking for wear, I always lightly grease the ramps when I'm in there.

A impact wrench makes getting it apart really easy.

I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Rickus

« Reply #2875 on: November 09, 2018, 07:42:51 am »
Just to give a bit of feed back, I stripped the bike and replaced the starter o-ring, that was the only thing that I could see that might cause the leak. That starter is a bitch to get out and in again. Glad I did it, saw the throttle cable was damaged and replace that as well. Just for precaution, sucked a bit of oiled out as well, looked a bit to high the oil level. I am driving to Oasis this coming weekend so will see when I get back if there is any leak still.

Thanks for all the advise, almost stripped the motor :thumleft:

Check if the oil is coming from the little hole on the barrel.....if the O-rings on the sparkplug tube doesn't seat properly when you re-install after you do the valve clearances you can also get a proper oil leak from there.....

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline Smittie Weskus

« Reply #2876 on: November 11, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »
I took about 250ml of oil out of the bike and it seems to have been the problem of the leak. Whent for a ride this weekend and that KTM is not lekke at all, long story and a lot of hassels ect. On the ride made it back home just just. It started to sort of miss fire or splatter slightly at 3000 rpm , did a reset 15 min idle thing then it was even worst. Now anything under 4-5000rpm it does it gets worse, saw cracks on the rear header next to the sensor, can that be it? Exstreamly heavy on fuel as well get about half out of a tank than I use to.

I have removed the throttle bodies when I worked on the bike did I maybe do something wrong?

Offline Grumpleton

• Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #2877 on: November 12, 2018, 05:45:34 am »
sucking air at the throttle bodies possibly not seated correctly. back firing is air or timing out but,  as you did not open the motor just removed the throttle bodies , i would start there.
Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #2878 on: November 12, 2018, 10:17:16 am »
sucking air at the throttle bodies possibly not seated correctly. back firing is air or timing out but,  as you did not open the motor just removed the throttle bodies , i would start there.

What he said!  :deal:

Offline Smittie Weskus

« Reply #2879 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:27 am »
Saw that I did the 15min reset idle thing wrong as well, suppose to be done on a cold engine and not on a trail at 40degC, ai. First want to do that again, then will strip the bike again. I made so sure that everything is 100% must have missed something. What bothers me the bike was fine in the beginning.