Winter riding in the Alps - Les Marmottes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kev

Check out this report by Aurel on ADV. Talk about hardcore!! :shock:

(Original ADV Link: https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194907)

Hi guys,

This week end I've been with a friend in the Alps, French moutains at the Italian border, for a winter motorist meeting called "Les Marmottes", "The Groundhog" in english.

We started from our town, Toulouse and ride 700km to get to Saint Veran, the town where the meeting took place. It's the hightest town of Europe, 2040m high!

We drove by night on the highway to go fast, just making some break for fuel and eat

img_4731.jpg

At 1 o'clock in the morning we stop into a small hotel called "Formule 1". There is hundred of "Formule 1" hotels in France as it's really cheap.

img_4732.jpg

Unpacking our luggage to bring them in our room

img_4733.jpg

Then we slept up to 8am and took a coffee in our room before we left

img_4734.jpg

On the morning the road was a bit icy...

img_4736.jpg

After a 100km ride we got to Saint-Veran to the meeting. That's a really small town, about 100 or 150 people live there I guess...

img_4750.jpg

img_4739.jpg

But it's really a nice place and the weather was really good!

img_4740.jpg

At this meeting half of the bikes are old side-car with their old drivers :D As you see with the plate some of them come from England...

img_4741.jpg

Nice view for... :eek1

img_4742.jpg

I was the first to fall on the snow... but I'm quite use to fall when doing off-road :norton

img_4745.jpg

A little sign was telling "House of the lovers" at the entry of a snowed path...

img_4749.jpg

The path looked to be unsecure...

img_4751.jpg

Be we try to ride on... having some problem with road tires on snow and ice... My friend tried some patented technic without any success :lol3

img_4757.jpg

img_4758.jpg

Guys with 2 wheel drive side-car were more confortable on snow...

img_4761.jpg

img_4763.jpg

img_4764.jpg

Some other found the ultimate stuff to ride on snow :huh

img_4767.jpg

img_4773.jpg

When you get to this meeting you get a sticker and feel quite proud :D

img_4774.jpg

Before the night we get to the entry of the town to install our tents

img_4776.jpg

img_4777.jpg

img_4779.jpg

img_4780.jpg

My friend tried to impress me saying "I don't feel cold!"

img_4784.jpg

This was going to be my house for the night

img_4785.jpg

After a good lunch with typical food in a restaurant, a lot of beer and some unknow alcohol from our tent neighbors the wake up was quite hard at 8am...

img_4786.jpg

But the view was so cool with the moon

img_4787.jpg

img_4788.jpg

New bikes arrived during the night...

img_4789.jpg

And ADV pic... :lol3

img_4791.jpg

At 9am we decided to get back home but before that we wanted to went in Italy to have lunch, the road to Italy accross the Alps was great to ride

img_4793.jpg

We tried to race against a helicopter!

img_4799.jpg

We made a break by doing some off-road close to a river

img_4801.jpg

img_4803.jpg

img_4806.jpg

Then we left Italy to get to the Mediterranean sea to ride on the beach of Monte Carlo where there is a famous Formula 1 GP

img_4808.jpg

img_4810.jpg

img_4812.jpg

img_4813.jpg

1500km in the week end, snow, ice, sea, friends, beer, bikes... that's a fuc**** good week end! :clap

Hope you will enjoy this report,
aurel